Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but has anyone ever been able to order from Pfiefen Huber in Munich? I have been trying to get hold of their Gold Virginia flake forever but they do not ship to the USA. I may just have to travel to Germany one day and stuff a bunch into a FedEx box.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but has anyone ever been able to order from Pfiefen Huber in Munich? I have been trying to get hold of their Gold Virginia flake forever but they do not ship to the USA. I may just have to travel to Germany one day and stuff a bunch into a FedEx box.
They do not ship to the US. You will need to book a flight to Munich, or rely on contacts to smuggle it to you. It's worth it.

Reactions: Terry Lennox

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Do it, Munich is great! Also Koln is worth a visit where Peter Heinrichs is.

I think Pfeifen Huber even don't ship to any other EU country, although I could make a account with my adress.

Reactions: Terry Lennox

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
They only send within Germany.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I have a package inbound with DHL Express and they're giving me some trouble. I've had to upload various letters and email two different DHL agents. I have no idea what's going on.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a package inbound with DHL Express and they're giving me some trouble. I've had to upload various letters and email two different DHL agents. I have no idea what's going on.
Same thing just happened to me (for the first time ever, ordered many times). I filled out the two documents DHL asked for and sent them in a few days ago. Supposed to be delivered today.

Reactions: greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Same thing just happened to me (for the first time ever, ordered many times). I filled out the two documents DHL asked for and sent them in a few days ago. Supposed to be delivered today.
If I were you I'd call again, and also email if you have an email contact. Things seem to move along when multiple tickets are raised on your package.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I've got this lovely update just now:

"Shipment may contain personal effects, therefore specific customs processing may be required."

Apparently a DHL agent is scheduled to call me at 5:00pm to discuss whatever the hell it is this means.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I've heard that Huber Gold Virginia is similar to Sillem's Mayor 1814 Flake (both make by K&K) so I may have to experience it that way.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've got this lovely update just now:

"Shipment may contain personal effects, therefore specific customs processing may be required."

Apparently a DHL agent is scheduled to call me at 5:00pm to discuss whatever the hell it is this means.

Please let us know. Obviously, something new with DHL or Customs.

Reactions: greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Please let us know. Obviously, something new with DHL or Customs.
Sure will. My package isn't from Esterval's, it's from Wesley's, the premier tobacconist in South Africa. I wanted to order some African Virginias "from the source" so to speak. Since it's not Esterval's, shipping is significantly more expensive, and it'll be on my dime if it has to be reshipped.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
So clearly there is a glitch in the matrix. Things are changing. I’ve ordered dozens of boxes of Cuban cigars, out of Asia/Australia, never had a hitch.

One box so far from Estervals. No problem. I’m guessing that would not be the case anymore.

well…it was a great ride.

Reactions: pantsBoots

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
So clearly there is a glitch in the matrix. Things are changing. I’ve ordered dozens of boxes of Cuban cigars, out of Asia/Australia, never had a hitch.

One box so far from Estervals. No problem. I’m guessing that would not be the case anymore.

well…it was a great ride.

Same and same. I was getting ready to place an Esterval's order, but it doesn't seem like now is the time. I gave up on international cigars when I saw the new pricing.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I recently had a friend do An Estervals Oder. It got held up and after lots of waiting it was finally sent back to Estervals who then wanted to recharge for the shipping cost a second time. Crazy .

semi related I have a friend sending some Huber Virginia flake , really looking forward to it!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I had to send three letters to four different DHL agents trying to convince them that I am a private individual and not a company (they somehow got the idea that I am, e.g. John Smith Inc. rather than simply John Smith).

They asked for an alcohol waiver twice, even though there's no alcohol in the shipment.

They asked for a tobacco license twice, even though I explained over and over that I am neither a manufacturer nor a distributor, and therefore neither US Customs, nor U.S. Department of Treasury's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, nor the FDA prohibit importation of tobacco for personal use.

At this stage I have approximately two pages worth of U.S. law with references that I quoted to make my case.

I also quoted DHL Express's own service manual for the USA 2022 which states that only tobacco above EURO500 is restricted.

Yesterday there was a notice on my tracking number saying that my package would be sent back.

Today, however, they replaced the notice with a request for more information.

I've just submitted a DHL power of attorney form.

I'm going to call back (naturally) in an hour to confirm, since each and every single time I've called I've gotten a different story from a different individual.

But what I'd like to get to the bottom of is: what form, what letter, what customs declaration do I need to use/write/make to ensure this doesn't happen again? I hope to clear this up when I call back.

My current opinion is that it boils down to having a DHL Express account (which is free) and submitting a DHL power of attorney. But I also have the feeling that nobody at DHL knows anything about anything, really.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
But what I'd like to get to the bottom of is: what form, what letter, what customs declaration do I need to use/write/make to ensure this doesn't happen again? I hope to clear this up when I call back.

My current opinion is that it boils down to having a DHL Express account (which is free) and submitting a DHL power of attorney. But I also have the feeling that nobody at DHL knows anything about anything, really.

A form, letter, or declaration will only help if you pull a reasonable and educated DHL employee on the phone. You've done what you can by educating yourself about US Law and DHL procedures. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife