SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
This sounds like my recent experience. I placed a big order on Feb. 20th ($699, 8kg) and it showed an estimated shipping date of calendar wk. 9 (not a system I was familiar with). When that week came and went I emailed and was told that some items were out of stock but they'd be along shortly. Everything I ordered showed in stock at the time (or else I wouldn't have ordered it) and continued to show in stock on the website. When I asked to cancel any out of stock items they ignored the first request and in response to my follow up insisted that they "don't change or cancel any orders".

Ultimately the order did ship on Friday and I received it today, intact and seemingly untouched by Customs. I wasn't thrilled with the runaround they gave me and their general unwillingness to disclose what was out of stock, update their website inventory, or modify my order, but I was happy it went smoothly after that point. Good luck, I hope all your stuff comes through soon.
View attachment 134274

Yup, that sounds like Estervals shipping/comms. I've always just chalked it up to cultural differences. I've been debating a similarly sized order; all things considered that's pretty 'smooth sailing' if there weren't any hiccups with customs.

Reactions: MarcosEZLN

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Yup, that sounds like Estervals shipping/comms. I've always just chalked it up to cultural differences. I've been debating a similarly sized order; all things considered that's pretty 'smooth sailing' if there weren't any hiccups with customs.
The funny thing is that Esterval's own terms & conditions discuss multiple circumstances in which they might have to change or cancel orders. Telling me that they outright don't do that is clearly bologna. You're right, though, the actual risk occurs once a package is on its way. I did get a little nervous after I placed the order when I came across a couple posts suggesting to cap orders at $500 to prevent Customs trouble, but that seems to be an arbitrary number. If my (almost) $700 order made it just fine then it's probably a roll of the dice as to whether anyone at Customs is paying attention.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I had heard the $500 thing and suggested the same. YMMV I’m sure. However…if you put Cuban cigars or cigarettes of any sort…plan on it being confiscated.

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
There have been some questions about Estervals and shipping to the US in the past so I thought I'd share my recent tobacco ordering experience from them --

1/16/22 Order Placed and CC charged on Esterval Website
1/19/22 Order shipped
1/24/22 Order received in Eastern NC

Shipping was via DHL, tracking the state of the order was easy via the Estervals and DHL websites. No complaints from me, will order from them again.
Same as my experience with them.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Placed the order on 3/25 after they had closed.
Order was processed and shipped on Monday, 3/28.
Arrived at my door today, 3/31.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have thought of ordering from their in the past but I did not want to buy the amount of tobacco that would validate the shipping cost for me.

Reactions: seanv

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
My package is stuck in customs. Dhl wants my SSN no problem their I have I assume I have duty to pay. A power of attorney. Agian im willing to do this. And a copy of a my tobacco import paper or a ttb according to atf I can only get that if I’m a business. This isn’t for resale only personal use. So I feel stuck their. Anyone had this issue before. I’m sure it will work it self out and I’ll get my package or my money back. But i think im done ordering from Estervals anymore. For the record my order was under 200 dollars(not counting shipping) and was 15 tins.

• Sad
Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
My package is stuck in customs. Dhl wants my SSN no problem their I have I assume I have duty to pay. A power of attorney. Agian im willing to do this. And a copy of a my tobacco import paper or a ttb according to atf I can only get that if I’m a business. This isn’t for resale only personal use. So I feel stuck their. Anyone had this issue before. I’m sure it will work it self out and I’ll get my package or my money back. But i think im done ordering from Estervals anymore. For the record my order was under 200 dollars(not counting shipping) and was 15 tins.
[In the worst case....] DHL will return it to Estervals, who will ship it back to you again. The new DHL agents that handle your package [likely] won't be as narrow-minded as the earlier ones and your package will get through as intended.

I think this has happened a few times already.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
[In the worst case....] DHL will return it to Estervals, who will ship it back to you again. The new DHL agents that handle your package [likely] won't be as narrow-minded as the earlier ones and your package will get through as intended.

I think this has happened a few times already.
Yeah I kinda figured worst case it goes back to Estervals. This is my 4th order from then and only issue I’ve had.

Reactions: greeneyes

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
It’s in california Los Angeles port of entry I’m in Az.
That’s interesting. When I was heavy into Cuban cigars, the west coast was always an issue for people. I never had an issue on the east. Most international stuff coming through Jamaica NY. I wonder if different regional offices just have different priorities and things.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Arriving at a port of entry and declaring tobacco you brought with you and getting a pass for an amount of duty free isn't quite the same as ordering from overseas and having it shipped here, there are myriad laws and regulations regarding the importation of tobacco, which is what that would be.

While I've done the same years ago, the frustration isn't worth it nowadays.

The Feds are getting better at locating tax scofflaws.

Reactions: Fralphog