PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I was generously gifted a pipe from a friend of mine who was having a lot of trouble getting pipe smoking down. Little did I know it was going to be barely used Peterson Aran bent bulldog. I was more grateful than he he could imagine. I then went on the hunt for the perfect tobacco to pair with it. I tried Sun Bear, Awakened Elder, Newminster Navy, and Erinmore. I like them all, but this was my first go round with Erinmore Flake and I am supremely impressed. The presentation is beautiful, tin note of bread and fruit. I wondered what would transfer to the smoke. The fruit did, the whole bowl and I love it. I heard it can be polarizing, and I also heard it may be pineapple. I think im settled on banana, though ill make no strict judgements yet as me, Erinmore, and this bulldog have a long journey ahead of us i think. The burley and VA together reminded me of dark fired Kentucky somehow, but much more palatable as I am not a fan of DFK. As far as a review of the tobacco itself, I cant say much as of now being my first bowl. I was sidetracked thinking about how the pipe smoked, the topping, and just enjoying it. I wrote my buddy to tell him the fantastic news, that his pipe finally has a mate now and is being put to good use. Anyone out there a fan of Erinmore?

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
I wanted so much to like it. Tried it for the first time 2 nights ago. Had a bitter taste on my tongue. Could not continue pass mid bowl... Guess have to jar it for awhile and give it one more go.

Reactions: ofafeather

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love the stuff! I get a very nice whisper of florals in there too! Not many people seem to pick up on the florals and I’ve heard they’ve been tamed a great deal by the Danes, however, I have had the Murrays version and I must say they were pretty similar... the Murrays was much more stout and heavy in nicotine but this current day Erinmore ain’t no slouch either. Needless to say I’ve cellared this one DEEEEEP!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I love the stuff! I get a very nice whisper of florals in there too! Not many people seem to pick up on the florals and I’ve heard they’ve been tamed a great deal by the Danes, however, I have had the Murrays version and I must say they were pretty similar... the Murrays was much more stout and heavy in nicotine but this current day Erinmore ain’t no slouch either. Needless to say I’ve cellared this one DEEEEEP!
Sadly I only have 15 tins in the cellar. Plan to go deeper on it at some point. Happily, 3 of those tins are Murray’s that I picked up from eBay years ago.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
This stuff always reminded me of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum. I liked it when I first took up the pipe but my mate bought some recently and when I tried it I found it flat and flavourless after a few minutes. I was really disappointed.

That said, I moved away from aromatics years ago so I probably shouldn't have been that surprised but I just remembered it being a far more stout and flavourful smoke than this was.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sadly I only have 15 tins in the cellar. Plan to go deeper on it at some point. Happily, 3 of those tins are Murray’s that I picked up from eBay years ago.
Ah nice that you were able to obtain 3 tins of the Murrays version! Those are very hard to come by these days and if you do find one they tend to go for a pretty penny.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I have a rectangular Murray’s tin I came across a few weeks ago. I never tried it, but the price tag on the tin was $6.25, so I probably just saw it in a shop and grabbed it for the price. I might pick up a tin ( still a decent price) and try it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Everyone always says Juicy Fruit, and I guess it is a somewhat similar taste if I really think about it whilst having a bowl, but it is not the first comparison that jumps out at me flavor-wise. They taste a bit different to me. I did chew Juicy Fruit every day though, until they took the sugar out and replaced it with artificial sweetener ?. That crap is nasty.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
love this stuff. I feel like the fruit taste might not be a fruit. There is something very herbaceous about it. I don't really have any idea what it is. But I do know that my prayers where answered from when I was a wee tyke and I said why can't you make something that tastes like Juicey fruit and doesn't loss flavor in two seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.