PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ernmore is great after you bake it, changes the taste dramatically!
Yes, baking it is great too! It definitely changes the taste. I like it that way but I prefer just letting them age. However, I haven’t baked a tin in a long time so it might be about that time to bake another tin. My big problem and probably why I haven’t done it in awhile is, when they first switched over to the round tins, they were using the round inserts and all the flakes would meld together in one big blob, baking the tins this way would just make that blob harder to pick apart, it was almost impossible to pick out a flake because of this. Luckily they very quickly caught on then started to pack the flakes in the square inserts giving the flake their perfect form again. Unfortunately the first 20 tins I bought were packed with the round insert... not a huge deal but I’m glad that they discovered that they could use the square inserts in the round tins. This wasn’t just Erinmore btw, STG was packing all flakes this way when they first switched over. I personally miss the square tins and am so glad that Mac Baren stuck with them!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I LOVE it! Lucky enough to have a small stash of the plug...
bY0k2RR.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Never considered baking it. How hot/long?
I have the exact notes of instructions that worked great for me but I can’t find them at the moment. I believe it was 165 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 hours. Just leave it in the tin, do it while it’s still sealed. The temp will unseal it but the tobacco will remain moist (in my experience). Google it and you will find PM threads on the subject. Another fun one to bake is Escudo.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
I was generously gifted a pipe from a friend of mine who was having a lot of trouble getting pipe smoking down. Little did I know it was going to be barely used Peterson Aran bent bulldog. I was more grateful than he he could imagine. I then went on the hunt for the perfect tobacco to pair with it. I tried Sun Bear, Awakened Elder, Newminster Navy, and Erinmore. I like them all, but this was my first go round with Erinmore Flake and I am supremely impressed. The presentation is beautiful, tin note of bread and fruit. I wondered what would transfer to the smoke. The fruit did, the whole bowl and I love it. I heard it can be polarizing, and I also heard it may be pineapple. I think im settled on banana, though ill make no strict judgements yet as me, Erinmore, and this bulldog have a long journey ahead of us i think. The burley and VA together reminded me of dark fired Kentucky somehow, but much more palatable as I am not a fan of DFK. As far as a review of the tobacco itself, I cant say much as of now being my first bowl. I was sidetracked thinking about how the pipe smoked, the topping, and just enjoying it. I wrote my buddy to tell him the fantastic news, that his pipe finally has a mate now and is being put to good use. Anyone out there a fan of Erinmore?
It’s good stuff. Although I don’t find myself going back to it often.
indonk is an old timer that exclusively smokes the flake

Reactions: ofafeather

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Good post. This one has been on my to-do list for a while.

I read somewhere (probably on this site) that DFK may or may not be a type of Burley, which might or might not explain the flavor similarities between the two. Hope that helps.

Maybe I'll tackle the "English vs. Balkan" controversy after a couple more gin and sodas.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Good post. This one has been on my to-do list for a while.

I read somewhere (probably on this site) that DFK may or may not be a type of Burley, which might or might not explain the flavor similarities between the two. Hope that helps.

Maybe I'll tackle the "English vs. Balkan" controversy after a couple more gin and sodas.
DFK is made from burley. It is burley that is fire-cured after the traditional air-curing process.

I consider it something separate from regular air-cured burley and it's a piping pet peeve of mine when people refer to DFK as burley. It would be the same as referring to Latakia as Oriental. Technically, true. But does that really describe it accurately or help anyone else to know what to expect? I don't think so. But all the time I see people refer to DFK as burley (including people I like and respect), so maybe it's just my hang up...

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I think it’s great when someone posts a first impression on a blend that was introduced decades ago. A great testament to the product. I remember my grandad having Erinmore tins.

I wasn’t overly impressed when I first smoked it but I would buy it again because my palette has developed quite a bit. I think I would appreciate it more now.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
DFK is made from burley. It is burley that is fire-cured after the traditional air-curing process.

I consider it something separate from regular air-cured burley and it's a piping pet peeve of mine when people refer to DFK as burley. It would be the same as referring to Latakia as Oriental. Technically, true. But does that really describe it accurately or help anyone else to know what to expect? I don't think so. But all the time I see people refer to DFK as burley (including people I like and respect), so maybe it's just my hang up...
nope I agree

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.