Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think it’s great when someone posts a first impression on a blend that was introduced decades ago. A great testament to the product. I remember my grandad having Erinmore tins.

I wasn’t overly impressed when I first smoked it but I would buy it again because my palette has developed quite a bit. I think I would appreciate it more now.
yeah it's great stuff. I tend to smoke through the tin pretty quickly.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Just bought my first tin a week ago and am really enjoying it in this summer heat. Tangy lemonade quality to me and I sometimes get a weird licorice or menthol flavor. Don't get the juicy fruit or pineapple at all. Maybe a note of unripe peach here and there. I find it somewhat similar to St Bruno Flake, which I prefer as of now, which is also a new blend for me. Don't have much experience with the more floral British style flakes, but I'm liking them so far.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just bought my first tin a week ago and am really enjoying it in this summer heat. Tangy lemonade quality to me and I sometimes get a weird licorice or menthol flavor. Don't get the juicy fruit or pineapple at all. Maybe a note of unripe peach here and there. I find it somewhat similar to St Bruno Flake, which I prefer as of now, which is also a new blend for me. Don't have much experience with the more floral British style flakes, but I'm liking them so far.
glad someone else picks up on the herbal qualities too.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I LOVE it! Lucky enough to have a small stash of the plug...
bY0k2RR.jpg
Oh mercy! My kingdom for that plug!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
There is a very similar (identical?) floral element that Erinmore and St Bruno share, but it is much lighter in Erinmore. In St Bruno, it is rose geranium and tonquin, so I assume it to be as such with Erinmore, though far subtler in presence. Sometimes I notice it more than other times with Erinmore. It’s hard to miss in St Bruno though.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Erinmore Flake is a decent blend. As mentioned it does have a fruity vibe and is different from most. Would put it in a similar category as Royal Yacht as both seem tovhave a "love or hate" crowd on either side but both are worth trying IMO.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There is a very similar (identical?) floral element that Erinmore and St Bruno share, but it is much lighter in Erinmore. In St Bruno, it is rose geranium and tonquin, so I assume it to be as such with Erinmore, though far subtler in presence. Sometimes I notice it more than other times with Erinmore. It’s hard to miss in St Bruno though.
st bruno to me just tastes like shitty burley

• Wow
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
interesting.. if it is the same DFK as ODF perhaps that's why I dislike it.
I find ODF bland.. kind of like toast without butter or a waffle without any sugar.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Wow, how soon everyone forgets... we tracked down the flavor of Erinmore to a chemical known as isoamyl acetate. It is also the flavoring chemical used in Juicy Fruit Gum. It is a byproduct of the distilling process, which was then used as a food flavoring back in the 1890's. Back when the English were just putting any old shit they could find in the products, damn Lakeland District garbage dumps.
This chemical is also known as banana esthers, the chemical that gives wine that banana taste when a fermentation goes really wrong, but distilleries can still use poor fermentation, thus this chemical is removed and sent off to flavor stuff, like chewing gums and pipe tobaccos for kids.

Two things... distilleries use crappy fermentation, and blenders will just try dumping any ol' shit on pipe tobaccos.

So, there is no real fruit or even fake fruit flavors in Erinmore. It is merely this chemical that is also used in Juicy Fruit gum. It is also similar to Jackfruit, but I can't deny or agree, because I have no idea what a jackfruit even is.

DUDE YOUR TOLERANCE BRO
You think this new version has more than a regular Virginia? Do you have to hold on fast to things in brisk winds? Ha ha! Maybe five years ago.... now, phhhht. And, if anyone is tasting Dark Fired Kentucky in that swill... well, maybe if your only experience with DFK is Orlik's candy-assed Strong Dark Kentucy...

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Wow, how soon everyone forgets... we tracked down the flavor of Erinmore to a chemical known as isoamyl acetate. It is also the flavoring chemical used in Juicy Fruit Gum. It is a byproduct of the distilling process, which was then used as a food flavoring back in the 1890's. Back when the English were just putting any old shit they could find in the products, damn Lakeland District garbage dumps.
This chemical is also known as banana esthers, the chemical that gives wine that banana taste when a fermentation goes really wrong, but distilleries can still use poor fermentation, thus this chemical is removed and sent off to flavor stuff, like chewing gums and pipe tobaccos for kids.

Two things... distilleries use crappy fermentation, and blenders will just try dumping any ol' shit on pipe tobaccos.

So, there is no real fruit or even fake fruit flavors in Erinmore. It is merely this chemical that is also used in Juicy Fruit gum. It is also similar to Jackfruit, but I can't deny or agree, because I have no idea what a jackfruit even is.
Isoamyl acetate is an ester that does taste/smell like banana, and is naturally present in bananas. On its own it would be very one note, banana essence though. There’s definitely more going on in Erinmore than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.