Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isoamyl acetate is an ester that does taste/smell like banana, and is naturally present in bananas. On its own it would be very one note, banana essence though. There’s definitely more going on in Erinmore than that.
No, actually, look at that link. It is not associated in any way with real bananas, nor does it taste like bananas once it is removed from a "banana wine." In the winemaking industry, a banana taste or pineapple taste is mere a term for ruined or botched fermentation. It doesn't really taste like those things. It is merely a term. Once, this specific chemical acetate is removed, it has more of a fuesil taste by itself. But, when added to food or tobacco it then takes on the famous "Juicy Fruit" taste. Banana and Pipeapple, were merely symbols for the "terminology" among vinters, (winemakers). It has nothing to do with either of those fruits.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
No, actually, look at that link. It is not associated in any way with real bananas, nor does it taste like bananas once it is removed from a "banana wine."
? I copied and pasted this from the link you provided:
“Isoamyl acetate occurs naturally in the banana plant[6] and it is also produced synthetically.[7]

I had to work with it when I was in college, and it’s been a while, but I remember it smelling like banana, and pretty one-note.
It may be present in Erinmore, I don’t doubt that, but I cannot fathom even for a second that it’s the only flavorant in there. I might be wrong, but I’d have to see it on one of those sheets that some countries require that shows what is in the blend. I think there’s more there than isoamyl acetate. ?‍♂️

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wow, how soon everyone forgets... we tracked down the flavor of Erinmore to a chemical known as isoamyl acetate. It is also the flavoring chemical used in Juicy Fruit Gum. It is a byproduct of the distilling process, which was then used as a food flavoring back in the 1890's. Back when the English were just putting any old shit they could find in the products, damn Lakeland District garbage dumps.
This chemical is also known as banana esthers, the chemical that gives wine that banana taste when a fermentation goes really wrong, but distilleries can still use poor fermentation, thus this chemical is removed and sent off to flavor stuff, like chewing gums and pipe tobaccos for kids.

Two things... distilleries use crappy fermentation, and blenders will just try dumping any ol' shit on pipe tobaccos.

So, there is no real fruit or even fake fruit flavors in Erinmore. It is merely this chemical that is also used in Juicy Fruit gum. It is also similar to Jackfruit, but I can't deny or agree, because I have no idea what a jackfruit even is.
it's only super highly likely that juciefruit has that acetate in it. Not certain. Either that or something that taste precisely like that. Just a minor note.

For folks not familiar with chemistry...

1. Every natural and artificial organic compound will probably have a scary name (Specially the IUPAC name)
2. For most practical purposes a naturally occurring substance and it’s artificial counterpart is same (or substantially similar). The differences may be different chiral forms, etc...
3. Don’t get scared of the name - understand it’s physical & chemical properties and then make an informed decision to be scared (or not)
4. Unwanted byproducts from one industry may be a miracle ingredient in another industry. Context is important.

My favorite example of context in #4 below

1. Every natural and artificial organic compound will probably have a scary name (Specially the IUPAC name)
2. For most practical purposes a naturally occurring substance and it’s artificial counterpart is same (or substantially similar). The differences may be different chiral forms, etc...
3. Don’t get scared of the name - understand it’s physical & chemical properties and then make an informed decision to be scared (or not)
4. Unwanted byproducts from one industry may be a miracle ingredient in another industry. Context is important.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm pretty sure it's not just gonna come up in a Google search. I'm pretty sure it was Woods that had the list. Jeez, I've been on here 7 years... no telling when the threads were posted about this.
You might be thinking of the German Ag Ministry site. I posted the link in this thread:

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
You might be thinking of the German Ag Ministry site. I posted the link in this thread:

I could read the first page with the translator, but when I went to the actual page for Erinmore Flake it wouldn't translate for me. Can you find whether it has the acetone? My German is... non-existent.
I've seen one that was in English. It was a spreadsheet, which I also have problems using, ha ha. I was not a born researcher. puffy

Reactions: trubka2

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I could read the first page with the translator, but when I went to the actual page for Erinmore Flake it wouldn't translate for me. Can you find whether it has the acetone? My German is... non-existent.
I've seen one that was in English. It was a spreadsheet, which I also have problems using, ha ha. I was not a born researcher. puffy
I can't get it to display properly on my phone, but I'll take a look when I get back to my computer.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado

By product from beer making is Vegemite. Oh how I love it.
"Beer and Vegemite"

Reactions: cshubhra
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I couldn’t find a page with Erinmore on it. If you can link it, I might be able to suss out what’s on it.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Just finished a "midnight bowl" of Erinmore Flake and LOVE this stuff! It reminds me a little bit like Hyde Park or Royal Yacht, they are all different blends but share a bit of common as well. First of all the fruit flavor of Erinmore is stronger than the other 2. Comes in beautiful flakes and the flavor while being fruity also allows the tobacco flavor to shine thru despite the sweetness. Not for everyone (same goes for the other 2 blends mentioned) but highly recommend trying it so you can see for yourself, who knows it could become a favorite:)

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.