PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Can you afford it? Do you want to own one? Will you feel bad if you spend the money on it? You're the only that is going to know the answer to this question.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill prices have been the subject of Forums threads for years, or since 2013 when I joined anyway. I don't own a Dunhill/White Spot. I admire the marketing that ratcheted up the price more than I admire the pipes themselves, though they are generally quite handsome. For people who "want the best," they have cornered the market. Some members have found individual pipes disappointing. One member sold Dunhill pipes in a Manhattan pipe shop in the 1950's when they were second to Kaywoodie and, corrected for the value of the dollar then and now, not nearly as expensive. I applaud the marketing that brought them to the $750 (medium Dunhill level) price for a Group 4 (average size) pipe. That to me is brilliant. I have a few higher end pipes, other brands.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
For me, I don't seem myself ever buying a new Dunhill. However, I could see myself at some point picking up an estate. So far, I have not ran across and estate Dunhlll that spoke to me enough at a price point I was willing to go to.
As stated above, only you can answer that question. Although I do not currently own a Dunhill, is the "quality" twice as good as a Castello (substitute any other quality brand), I don't see how it could be. Lots of quality pipes out there at more affordable price points.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is a Dunhill worth owning, given the price?
I have moved on both a 1968 and a 2015 Dunhill.. while the 1968 was a very good pipe I just didn't smoke it.
The 2015 was a junker IMO. This was a brand new pipe that retails for around $500.. I paid close to $300.
The stem, while the button was nice, the internal part of the stem was garbage.. it was drilled very poorly and the white spot went way down into the airway. The tenon was some other material (plastic) than the cumberland stem and this caused the internal issue of the stem. For the money.. I would have rather had 9 basket pipes.

So I will agree.. old ones (pre-1970) .. yes they are most likely worth the price.
Newer ones.. you are paying for a name.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Although I do not currently own a Dunhill, is the "quality" twice as good as a Castello (substitute any other quality brand), I don't see how it could be. Lots of quality pipes out there at more affordable price points.
absolutely not is the answer.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Although I do not currently own a Dunhill, is the "quality" twice as good as a Castello (substitute any other quality brand), I don't see how it could be.

That‘s not how prices on luxury goods work. For a linear increase in quality, you often pay a geometric increase in price. Plus, the “quality“ increase is almost never functionality, but aesthetics or rarity.

I own a small slew of them and each one is a bonafide winner. They range from 1945 to 2019. Not one pipe is not a perfect smoker. I'm no expert as to why this is, but it is true in my case.

Are they better than other high end pipes? Probably not but they are among the finest.

They also carry a recognized name brand which will ensure their collectibility and value in the future. If you buy it right, you won't lose your money should you ever need or want to sell it AND, you get a great smoker in the meantime!

Like all manufacturers, I am sure they have made their share of bummer pipes. Be wary how and from whom you buy it if it's an Estate. Your odds are higher of getting a less than perfect performer in the Estate market if you don't have the history or are not buying from the original owner.

I play and collect (you wanna talk bad habits? HA! but I digress.....) high-end classical guitars and I have seen the same highly pedigreed classical guitars that are just "off", go from one unsuspecting new owner to another, year after year....

Ask why it's being sold.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Based on my experience both with few brand new Dunhills and estate ones alike ,I must say in my opinion they generally,(exceptions are out there no doubt)are wonderful pipes, but in comparison say to Castellos, those I shall consider of better value, Castello/Radice do smoke equally good if not better and decidedly Dunhill pipes, new and old are something overpriced, would I consider buying them more?Yes,If I could afford, no manufacturer does classic English shapes better , Yet Barling

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
If you want one and can get one, it’s as simple as that. I’m of the opinion that there are no bad Dunhills, only bad smokers. :ROFLMAO:

It truly is all about preference. Bowl size, finish, chamber diameter, bit shape, etc. etc. etc. The internet makes it very easy to fine tune your preferences. The only thing that’s left is how you smoke it. There are cobs that will smoke just as good as Dunhills.

I collect Dunhill because of their history and their looks. That makes them worth it to me. Everyone will have a different set of reasons why something is “worth” something to them. It’s all up to the individual.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
What high end pipe is really worth the price? For some perspective, ask a (non confrontational) non-smoker if it's worth spending $800 on a tobacco pipe. They'll probably laugh at you unless it's some kind of historic piece.

Some people drop a couple grand on a television! A television! I haven't owned a television in decades and would think you're a moron for doing so, but that's just my bias and nobody should give a damn. Some people really like the boob tube.

Of course it's not worth it to spend so much on a pipe. But you'll do it anyway!

The last pipe I bought was an $800 Dunhill. I was pretty certain I wasn't going to buy another one but it has a finish I don't often see in other brands and the shaping and quality is something I'm interested in.

It's not worth a bucket of piss to most people. But, what do I care? I can buy the pipe and still do everything else I like to do in life, so it matters not one bit what I've paid for it.

When I smoke my pipe, about half of the pleasure is looking at a finely carved piece of wood with interesting grain and stem. Maybe even more than half. I just like it.
Some Dunhill's check that box. None of them are really worth it, in the utilitarian sense of the pipe being a tool for smoking.
But, for me to handle and look at an interesting piece of briar, at least a couple of times a week, is worth the price for getting it. Absolutely.

To others, you're just a flaming idiot for throwing money away on a pipe.

But, people spend money on all kinds of useless crap, so if you need some reassurance, look at the guy driving by you in a Tesla and consider many people are spending $1500 a month just to lease the damn thing. Even more.

I can afford to, but I spent three months worth of Tesla lease payments about 10 years ago in cash for my car, which still runs like a champ and gets me anywhere I want to go in comfort. What in the hell would I want a Tesla for? Or a Porsche? I'm not interested in cars at all.

But, a good pipe. Well, that's something different.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is a Ferrari or Maclaren "worth it" as far as a mechanical tool?
No, they are luxury items/status symbols.

Reactions: Jef

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
My one and only Dunhill is a mid-1950s that came to me last year as a gift from Ashdigger. It is a wonderful smoking pipe that I use at least once a week, and a constant reminder of the potential generosity of strangers.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is a Dunhill worth owning, given the price?
I assume you're referring to a new Dunhill. It's a personal preference. To me, the answer is no. I own a dozen or so older Dunhills and they're good pipes, not the best I've smoked, but good and a couple of them are exceptionally good. But, in my experience, they're not better than any other British factory pipes, not better than Barling, Sasieni, Charatan, Comoy, BBB, GBD, Ben Wade Leeds Era, nor any other British maker. When I started smoking Barlings, my Dunhills went in the drawer.
If you want to own a Dunhill, just to own a Dunhill, rock on. Just keep in mind that you're paying a premium for a stamp, which is a perfectly legitimate reason to buy one. It's just not reason enough for me.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I paid for this style. I like the tanshell finish, I like the silver military mount, and the stem isn't half bad. I also like the poker shape, which I don't have an example of in my collection of pipes.

It was going to be this or an Eltang poker. The price was similar, with this being just a little more. It was the finish of the pipe that sealed the deal for me. It was just nicer than the Eltang I was looking at.

If I could find this type of grain, stain, size (group 3) and stem in a $50 pipe, I would have bought it. I just haven't seen that floating around in too many places, so the premium price is worth it to me, because in my opinion, the quality is there.
But, I'm interested in grain pattern and stain choice in a pipe above much else (assuming it smokes fine). If you're not bothered by such things, there are loads of inexpensive pipes to buy and paying a hefty premium for a pipe that looks ordinary is a waste of money, to my tastes.

If it was ever a question about having a pipe like this or keeping the electricity on, being able to travel, eat good food or whatever, I'd not have the pipe. It's not worth it.

Again, some people would toss this pipe in the fire and be done with it. It's worthless. To my eye, I like looking at the grain pattern, the stain, the shank, and so on. That's how I value a pipe.

002-210-0036-8687-jpg.11108

Status
Not open for further replies.