PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm confused, sparrowhawk bought a Dunhill a few years back.

Must be Ground Hog Day, (a movie reference), for him then.:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I have three Dunhills, a rhodesian, a pot, and a prince. They all smoke great and are beautifully made. I find the aesthetic of the Dunhills (BTW, the autocorrect just turned Dunhills into dunghills) preferable to other brands, with the exception of Ashton, which basically look the same to me. Do they smoke better than my Ascorti or my Ardor? No. I think they are great pipes among many great pipes. The question of cost is really a matter of what one can afford or is willing to pay, as several others have noted. For me, at least, it's more of an aesthetic issue than a smoking issue, and I'm willing to pay more for something I find aesthetically pleasing.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I assume you're referring to a new Dunhill. It's a personal preference. To me, the answer is no. I own a dozen or so older Dunhills and they're good pipes, not the best I've smoked, but good and a couple of them are exceptionally good. But, in my experience, they're not better than any other British factory pipes, not better than Barling, Sasieni, Charatan, Comoy, BBB, GBD, Ben Wade Leeds Era, nor any other British maker. When I started smoking Barlings, my Dunhills went in the drawer.
If you want to own a Dunhill, just to own a Dunhill, rock on. Just keep in mind that you're paying a premium for a stamp, which is a perfectly legitimate reason to buy one. It's just not reason enough for me.
Because of you and statements like the one above-mentioned are the reasons that I have gone on a Sasieni, Barling, and Comoy shopping spree..so thank you for the insight and guidance.

The truth has been that the old briar from those makers has been a fantastic tasting/smoking journey!

Thanks again to sable the wise!

Reactions: BROBS

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I take exception to this comment.
Sorry... I really didn't mean to offend your robot overlord.

I was just riffin' examples off the top of my head!

A family member tried to convince me to trade in my "heap" and get one of these. I don't even have a cell phone! I guess he thought I could get smacked in the head with it all at once, wrapped up in the package of a car, and somehow be alright.

Oct 7, 2016
Consider purchasing new Dunhills from one of the Italian site sponsors. I just did, from Al Pascia. They gave me 15% off their already low price, payment to be made by mid January. With shipping and currency conversion charges, I figure to have a little under $300 in a new group 3 County Lovat. They answered every question I had (always ask questions about your particular deal points regardless of brand. Returns are always accepted, but shipping from the US insured, particularly with tracking, is not cheap.). I have yet to deal with an Italian shop that isn’t completely forthcoming if you ask specific questions, and I have dealt with just about all of them that have an internet presence and one that doesn’t. Corti and Bolito also have good stocks of Dunhills.

James Barber in England is also an option. They have a tremendous selection, and right now with the pound weak against the dollar and the Euro, they are priced lower than Italy. I have not dealt with Barber in recent years, but they were extremely knowledgeable about their merchandise. I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Don’t forget that if you are in the US and buy from Italy or the UK, you pay about 20% less than if you live in the EU because they take off the Value Added Tax. The overall price savings represents the markup that goes to the US distributor.

Reactions: jpberg and danish

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I own two Dunhills estate pipes in a mint condition
One is group 4 straight billiard from 2013.
The other same shape, but a group 3 from 2001

Payed 270 (group 4 was in like new condition) and 160 dollar respectively.

I like their esthetic and they seem to be good smokers, but they smoke nothing like the Castello I recently bought.
I am even a little disappointed as of now by the group 3 pipe.

I think its a better deal to buy a pre transition Barlin or a Rueben era Charatan.

Dunhill, is like the Rolex of pipes.
Overhyped.
And the way how ruthless the brand was promoted and advanced, by Alfred Dunhill, is very unsympathetic.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
However comparing a factory made pipe to a painting by a known master is like comparing apples to diamonds.
The point was about how value is determined on any given item, not necessarily a direct comparison of the two items, but yes, there is an obvious disparity.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.