PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you want to own a Dunhill, just to own a Dunhill, rock on. Just keep in mind that you're paying a premium for a stamp, which is a perfectly legitimate reason to buy one. It's just not reason enough for me.
This right here is all I've been trying to say! An OK pipe but you're paying extra for the brand name.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
A pipe is a pipe is a pipe. Everything else is bloviated blather.
That's the truth. But it's interesting that people pay more, for what is essentially the same thing, but dressed up. Pipes, cars, guns, televisions, fishing rods, boats, kitchen utensils, watches, stereo systems, computers, carpets, art, plants, hot tubs, food, travel, jewellery, clothing, bicycles, golf clubs, pens, tables, etc., etc.

Every single one of those examples has the budget, under $10 option going all the way up to sky high pricing. And in every above example, you're likely to find an option that performs just as well on the low end as it does on the high end, with minimal functional difference.

Yet people still choose the expensive options in some cases. In fact, I think most people, at one point or another, will choose the expensive option, relative to another person, for some things. It's a strange thing, but people have a lot of different motivations for whatever it is they do.

Perceived value is highly personal, in my opinion.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
absolutely.
however with most of those things you are going to get an upgrade besides just a name brand.

There are no $100 pistols that perform like $500 pistols.

Reactions: JMcQ and trouttimes

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Is a Monet painting worth owning given the price? I suppose it depends on how much you like the way it looks, how much value you place on the name/history, and how much disposable income you have.

As these things vary greatly from person to person, so shall opinions on a Dunhill (or any pipe for that matter).

There are considerably cheaper options out there that offer the same level of functionality.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do get a lift when I smoke one of my up-market pipes. I'm aware that it has special origins and attributes . By the same token, I am surprised and pleased at what a great smoke I get out of my Kaywoodie Drinkless Ruff-Tone with a stinger -- a stinger! -- this just shouldn't happen, but it does. I've pulled out all the removable stingers in pipes, but this one holds the stem in the shank. It only takes a second to clean, and it is a shamelessly good smoker. A Forums member instructed me on getting the bit back straight with a hair dryer to loosen the glue, and that's part of its story too. Sometimes a good pipe is just a good pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perceived value is highly personal, in my opinion.

So very true. And each item you mention above is "worthy" of hot and long drawn out discussion/argument as to its intrinsic or extrinsic worth.

Reactions: lightmybriar

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
However comparing a factory made pipe to a painting by a known master is like comparing apples to diamonds.

Reactions: JMcQ

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've bought lots of apples and eaten most of them.

I've bought only one diamond (for myself, several for SWMBO) and lost it. I was still hungry.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
The prices for new White Spots/Dunhills are high in US retail, compared to Europe, that is a fact. In any case, if you prefer old style classic lightweight pipes with good comfortable vulcanite stem work and not the usual too thick and maybe acrylic bite, then the cheaper alternatives to these mentioned Dunhill qualities are not that common here in Europe. The mentioned alternatives to Dunhill are also often estates, that were mostly made in factories, that are closed long ago. Some of these closed factories brand names, however still live on, in what many of us old snobbish bastards find are inferior pipes and now made ‘somewhere else’.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm confused, sparrowhawk bought a Dunhill a few years back.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
There are no $100 pistols that perform like $500 pistols.
That's exactly the perception of value I'm talking about. You couldn't give me a $500 pistol. I simply have no use for it and the value that you would attach to it means absolutely nothing to me.

If I was using one, I have no doubt that a $100 pistol would be exactly the same to me as the $500 one because I genuinely would not know the difference. That might all sound pretty ridiculous to you, assuming you have an interest in these things, but that's perception for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.