Dunhill Tobaccos Discontinued (At Least In The Netherlands And Perhaps Elsewhere

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
This morning I heard some disturbing news, in The Netherlands the Dunhill tobaccos are being discontinued. So I phoned some people who probably knew a bit more. As you probably know BAT owns the rights (licenses/recipes) for the Dunhill tobacco and Orlik makes them. Because of the new European TPD2 legislation/guidelines the artwork for the tins has to be changed, nasty pictures and so have to be put on and so on. BAT is not prepared to this because of the extra costs, they don't care about pipe-tobacco so much any more. So as far as I heard they withdrew their license and Orlik can't make the tobacco any more. What I don't know if this only goes for The Netherlands or also for other European countries or even the USA (although they don't have the TPD2 legislation, they have other (FDA) problems..). It would be great if someone knew more about this.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
What would be great, if the human condition wasn't to be bound in chains and so unwilling to fight Government. To many Marxist in the world. Oh well, what are we going to do when they outlaw taking a crap in your own home? It will not stop at tobacco and guns.
Frankly it's a blow to all of us free minded individuals if one single country or business is harmed by these Draconian Laws. Long live the Individual, down with the mob.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Here, here, Perdurabo. It would also be refreshing for the knobs in gov't to learn how ineffective all these warning stickers and logos have been. There surely has been a decline in favor for tobacco, but I for one doubt it's been caused by legislation.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dunhill is nothing if not image conscious. Well, that and profit driven. I'll miss two particular blends wearing the Dunhill marque. But, there are others which will fill the void. Not much different than the coming and going of certain automobiles, Spaghetti Os, Colt, glaciers, presidents, the circus, the passenger pigeon, etc.
If true, I'll thoroughly enjoy the hunt for a couple of replacement blends. So, a bit of disruption to my routine, an adjustment and... it's all good again. I'm damned if I'm going to get all exorcised over the possibility/reality of Dunhill removing their product from the shelves. I can't change the situation so there's no point even giving it much thought. I've got other issues I can address to handle.
Those of you who will experience a huge upheaval in their lives have my sympathies however.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Netherlands has seen itself as wide open and free wheeling since the end of World War II, if not before, so this is an especially odd turn. Brown cafes which offer pot have been tolerated. Street performers who are nearly nude. Tobacco has been a cultural institution going back into history. I wonder how the Dunhill issue relates to the pipe tobacco market in general? A friends' daughter and her partner are going to Amsterdam for a year on an arts grant, so maybe they can report back on what cultural shifts are afoot.
Dutchsmoker, are you in The Netherlands or only from there? Maybe you are the direct source.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yep, cause Pot cures the cancer caused by cigarette smoke to lungs and mouth. thats the backwards world we live in now MSO.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I could well believe this, Orlik stopped importing Golden Sliced into the UK as it needed to change the artwork to comply with British regs and it was too costly. The problem is if this is at the European level then it'll be the end of Dunhill blends in Europe.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
So, a bit of disruption to my routine, an adjustment and... it's all good again.
Warren, yep...... just a little "adjustment", and then another one........ then another little "adjustment". Pretty soon they will have you "adjusted" to just what they want you to be, but its all good............. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tobacco manufacturers and distributors not only must comply with the overall TPD regulations, but also with the packaging requirements of each individual member state. So that's 26 or 27 separate package versions for each blend?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Shrugs...Change is the only constant. If pipe tobacco is my biggest concern, then I am living a smooth life. I understand the bigger picture, but to my mind there are many larger concerns.
Check out the first 12 Dow Jones companies. Sugar, Leather, and yes Tobacco.
Time and society marches on. Get on the train, or at least off the track.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't have that much adjusting time left. Tobacco use is a selfish decision I made many years ago. If tobacco use were to be deemed illegal tomorrow, little would change in my life other than a growth spurt in the amount of disposable monies available. I'm pretty sure I could find another vice to satisfy the wee rebel in my personality. Tobacco isn't very high on my list of important subjects. Sure I enjoy it. I'd even find the adjustment to not having access to it a bit discombobulating for a few days. Tobacco isn't going anywhere in my lifetime so why worry. And, the last thing I'd want my grandson to do is waste moneys smoking. If he elects to do so well, good on him for being a bit self-serving, a bit stupid. So, the future of tobacco holds little interest for me. I pick my battles carefully, my energy level isn't what it used to be, I hoard it, use it sparingly where it might do some good.
I've said before, the choice to smoke or not is a personal decision and selfish. Nothing wrong with that. My decision to smoke was and is a very hedonistic one. So, that being true for me, I really care little about the tobacco needs of others or the state of tobacco legislation except as it impacts me. And, that folks, is a very selfish decision on my part and not out of step with my decision to smoke.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Nothing wrong with your selfishness Warren, just so happens we share the same selfishness. There's plenty of snake oil to relish my selfishness on, I just prefer pipe tobacco. I don't smoke a lot of Dunhill, Royal Yacht is the extent of my Dunhill habit. I have a nice cellar, my children will inhereit the majority of it, guess they will have plenty to sell to those seeking a once upon a time luxury.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
The Netherlands has seen itself as wide open and free wheeling since the end of World War II, if not before, so this is an especially odd turn. Brown cafes which offer pot have been tolerated. Street performers who are nearly nude. Tobacco has been a cultural institution going back into history. I wonder how the Dunhill issue relates to the pipe tobacco market in general? A friends' daughter and her partner are going to Amsterdam for a year on an arts grant, so maybe they can report back on what cultural shifts are afoot.
Dutchsmoker, are you in The Netherlands or only from there? Maybe you are the direct source.
The Netherlands are a bit strange.. I can go into a coffee-shop (read: pot-shop) and smoke a joint there. But I CAN'T smoke tobacco there! A friend of mine once wanted a joint when we were in Amsterdam. So we entered a coffee-shop, he got a joint, I don't do that so I lit up a pipe. A pretty pissed off manager told me that tobacco smoking was forbidden inside.. Almost asked him what he would do if I filled up my pipe with pot..

But yes, a long time ago The Netherlands were a tobacco minded country. Nowadays almost nothing is left of that.. Some of the highest tobacco prices in Europe and a rapidly growing anti-smoking mentality. Tell your friends' daughter and her partner to also visit the East of The Netherlands (where I live). Much more relaxed! Amsterdam is sooo busy.. So yes, I am in the Netherlands ;) Sadly I am no direct source, I don't work for BAT or Orlik (STG)..
I could well believe this, Orlik stopped importing Golden Sliced into the UK as it needed to change the artwork to comply with British regs and it was too costly. The problem is if this is at the European level then it'll be the end of Dunhill blends in Europe.
Precisely! I knew they did that with several blends so I am not optimistic to say the least..

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Everyone thought I was nuts for buying the hell out of a few things they make that I like. If it all goes to hell, this won't be the first time Dunhill blends disappeared from my subjective reality.

Dunhill is nothing if not image conscious.

How's this for image ... shame on them for their cowardice. I like the stuff they make, but I can't help but be miffed at a company who gives up on a customer base just because things get a little hard.
I found shit to fill the Dunhill void before, and I guess I'll do it again, if this becomes more widespread.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
It is all OK as you don't mind others deciding what is good for your personal intake to your own body.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The Netherlands are a bit strange.

No kidding they only outlawed bestiality in 2010, and then I think it's still legal to have sex with animals as long as the animal is not hurt.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
..so long as the animal is not hurt. .
What, like when you say you'll bring it to a rom com and don't hold its hoof,paw,tentacle all the way through the film?

Status
Not open for further replies.