PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I need to attempt to read the book again. I tried a couple years back but I feel it was a case of the hype from my friends that loved it overhyped the book to me and I couldn’t get into it at the time. I remember thinking this is a good book but I’m used to things that cribbed heavily from dune such as warhammer 40k.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I need to attempt to read the book again. I tried a couple years back but I feel it was a case of the hype from my friends that loved it overhyped the book to me and I couldn’t get into it at the time. I remember thinking this is a good book but I’m used to things that cribbed heavily from dune such as warhammer 40k.
40K drew from everything. Pretty sure the Rabbit of Caerbannog was in there too.

Reactions: timelord

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Finally watched it last night. Not so bad. Certainly beats the pants off David Lynch's dystopian bat shit industrial grunge diarrhea bucket 1984 "adaptation"

But what do I know. I'm just a young dumbass that likes the current version of Escudo :ROFLMAO:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Of course looks wise the new film blows away the 1984 version. However the 1984 version blows away the new one story wise. The 1984 version was much truer to the book and back in 1984 when it first came out, the special effects were top of the line for the time period. They also had a directors cut which added more story.

Reactions: twoonefive

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
I am a huge fan of the 84 film. Thought part one of the new films was fantastic but never thought it would do well enough to have part two approved but it was just announced its been greenlit -

This director does not seem to be able to find commercial success for his films but I think he is possibly the best sci-fi director currently active. I see similarities to the commercial flops of Terry Gilliam and how he was able to make movies for years before finally calling it quits. I hope Denis can find a place in the market that allows him to follow his vision but also allow him to make films for a very long time.

The Blade Runner sequel, which I thought captured the look/feel/spirit of the original and moved the story forward, also flopped at the box office.

Certainly possible that I just have poor taste in film, or in general, ha!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I found it "ok" I mean if you read the books and then watched the 1984 movie of Dune you were left scratching your head. This new version is truer to the book(s). I'm hoping the second has more action.

@twoonefive Brazil for instance - Terry Gilliam's flick was soooo strange and its got a cult following today.

I'm curious if we have generational divide on 1984 Dune vs new Dune.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What I find hilarious is at the time the 84 dune had people saying the same things about it. That it was a dud and all that stuff. For a while it was more famous for making David Lynch forgo more commercial films because of how horrible the experience was, then for being watchable. In fact you can kind of see traces of that experience in several of his other movies.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I read the book last year for the first time and just saw the movie. I think the director took a different route than what Lynch tried to do with his version (from what I hear as I haven't seen that movie yet).

Supposedly Lynch tried to capture the breadth of the book's story and that came at the cost of people feeling it was bloated and conviluted. I don't blame him for trying to do that but it sounds overly ambitious for a medium that only gives you 2-3 hours of storytelling.

I think the new director took a more toned down approach compared to Lynch. He seemed to try to portray the most basic/essential parts of the movie. Like others have articulated, it left a lot of the details and complexities of the book but made the story comprehensible given the medium. I watched it with a friend who hadn't read the book in years and couldn't really remember the story and he was still a bit lost as how some of the things connected. To add all the things that were left out would either make things complex and confusing (if they still want to keep the movie length reasonable) or they would be making a much longer movie.

I think part 2 will flesh out more of the details but because these are going to be two movies, the first needs to stand independently from the second while building mystique and anticipation for it.

I think the movie would've watched differently if parts 1 and 2 were made into one super long movie or if it came out as a TV series/mini-series.

I enjoyed the movie and thought it did justice to the book.

Reactions: twoonefive
Mar 1, 2014
Every review I've seen has said the 2021 Dune is just an epilogue to the rest of the movie coming in the sequel, should it be greenlit, and now that it has I can safely ignore this one until the full story has been produced.

Reactions: AroEnglish

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
"It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world."

Sadly I think this could well apply to so many modern films. They are pumped out with increasing regularity that no time or thought is actually spent on character building, compelling storyline etc.

Regards,

Jay.
THIS. While I'm sure there are plenty of great indie films flying under my old-fashioned radar, skillful writing and directing seem to have been traded in for shock value, shlock value, and a minimal effort on the part of anybody. Is fentanyl big in Hollywood right now or something?

The film industry as a whole is all of a sudden very risk averse. Oh well, to hell with art.
I've never read the book and I know absolutely nothing about Dune or the story. I was planning on watching it tonight based on some clips I've seen. Now, probably not.

After Googling it, I see there is a 1984 David Lynch DUNE. Any reviews on this version? Maybe I should watch that instead.

While the Lynch film is almost universally derided, I like it, but I am a fan of most David Lynch films, plus I saw it before I read the books. It's not terribly faithful to the books I came to find out, but that doesn't change my opinion. Just like Escudo.
But... but... but, the Escudo must flow! ?
I like Escudo!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Goodness gracious, so much defensiveness over my estimation of the current changeling, packed in a tin with the name Escudo pasted on it. I have no issue with you enjoying the changeling since it's all you've ever known. Why not? I like a lot of blends on their own merits, but don't kid myself that they ARE what stood out from the pack for so many, many smokers.

Just like if you're still virgins, you might think there's nothing better than your hand, or a handy eggplant. If you've had wider experience you might not feel entirely the same about that.

As for DUNE, it's just an epic thuding dud and leaves me more convinced than ever that Herbert's universe, if not uncinematic, is going to be a bitch to pull off.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Just saw DUNE. This edition of the Frank Herbert epic epitomizes everything I loathe about self important films. It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world.
It’s like watching 2 1/2 hours of screen savers.
If long stretches of “meaningful” stillness and vacant prettiness are your thing, DUNE is for you.
2 out of 5, and that 2 is for production design. The rest of this mess is a 0.
The Trailer seemed Dry. Dune is my all time favorite sci-fi series, I never expected the remake to be worth my time. I loved the 1984 original, but mainly because of the all star cast. I’ll stick with the book on this one.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Just saw DUNE. This edition of the Frank Herbert epic epitomizes everything I loathe about self important films. It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world.
It’s like watching 2 1/2 hours of screen savers.
If long stretches of “meaningful” stillness and vacant prettiness are your thing, DUNE is for you.
2 out of 5, and that 2 is for production design. The rest of this mess is a 0.
Jesse, can you tell us your honest opinion now? Please don't hold back.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I re-read the book before going to see the film last week and enjoyed both experiences.

It doesn't work in every instance, but it's clear to me that a lot of the detail of Herbert's universe was put into the visuals. This undoes the omniscient narration of the book, but makes the storytelling more in line with the medium.

Reactions: fightnhampster