Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Typical Hollywood.
Take a great book and use it as the title for a movie or tv series that has very little to do with the written pages. Oh! then they take and start screwing with the canon for the "sake" of diversity.

lol this is a movie about a book about a jihad in which you are supposed to side with the jihadis

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I thought the movie was good, actually.

They did a good job pay homage to the works of HR Giger and Alejandro Jodorowsky. Still woulda liked to have seen his nine hour, Pink Floyd soundtrack'd version, but he flew too close to the sun. At least we got Alien, Blade Runner, etc out of it.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Despite being an 80’s child I’ve still not seen the ‘84 Dune even though I was aware of its existence. It looked too fantasy for my sensibilities. At some point this year I ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it this winter. The movies will have to wait until after I’ve read it. The book is almost always better anyway.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Despite being an 80’s child I’ve still not seen the ‘84 Dune even though I was aware of its existence. It looked too fantasy for my sensibilities. At some point this year I ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it this winter. The movies will have to wait until after I’ve read it. The book is almost always better anyway.
Get ready for a long ride, Herbert wrote six of them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
lol this is a movie about a book about a jihad in which you are supposed to side with the jihadis
You don't have to side with anyone in the novels. A jihad is just a struggle or effort and the books do have Arabic and Islamic tones, even Arrakis was said to be a play on the name Iraq. Each group has righteous motivation but the legacy of Paul's false messiah appointment leads to centuries of dire consequences.

Last edited:

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Get ready for a long ride, Herbert wrote six of them.
Yeah I’ve got some bundled edition with most or all of the stories. I’m really hoping to be inescapably sucked into the Dune world like I was as a teen with Tolkien lore. But I’m prepared to jump ship after the first novel if the followup efforts are clearly not up to par. I shall aim to be open minded of course. Most movie sequels don’t win Academy Awards yet many are fun to watch, so I’ll try to apply that mindset as I read through them

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yeah I’m not sure that they share the same fan base. My fantasy reading outside of comic books is limited to Tolkien works so I lack experience but they seem dissimilar. I guess what I had gleaned about Dune that was similar to JRRT books is the general breadth of the worlds and characters and broad scope of borrowed elements/ influences melded into a single universe. Worlds and characters with depth. At least that is what I am hoping for.

Reactions: Chasing Embers