PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I read it when I was 12 and wandered in search of something as good, never finding it. The other books in the series I found completely flat, Herbert's fulfillment of his contract. Lynch's movie went over my head at the start, but I've come to appreciate it of late. I was going to say Jodorowsky's Dune was probably the only version that would satisfy Dune people, but then I see it is apparently the Dune in this thread. I'm confused.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't think I've ever heard of that one...may have to check it out. I'm generally a Lynch fan but didn't like his version, and this new one sounds even worse.
I was skeptical but loved it. They did a follow up, "Children of Dune".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I read it when I was 12 and wandered in search of something as good, never finding it. The other books in the series I found completely flat, Herbert's fulfillment of his contract. Lynch's movie went over my head at the start, but I've come to appreciate it of late. I was going to say Jodorowsky's Dune was probably the only version that would satisfy Dune people, but then I see it is apparently the Dune in this thread. I'm confused.
I enjoyed "God Emperor of Dune" fairly well.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My memory might not be as accurate as I claim it to be. It was just that I was so disappointed with the subsequent books compared to Dune that was in every respect first rate. Completely original story and worlds, and characters to boot--a ghola--damn! A gom jabar as an agent of death. A sisterhood of witches, one Paul's mother. The Baron Harkonnen a psychotic floating as a way to manage his flab. The Fremen and the spice, with giant worms that could destroy installations.

And then these flabby subsequent books with none of the wonder and originality as the first.

I don't know what's come since, but in my mind there is no doubt that Dune is supreme.

Aug 1, 2012
My memory might not be as accurate as I claim it to be. It was just that I was so disappointed with the subsequent books compared to Dune that was in every respect first rate. Completely original story and worlds, and characters to boot--a ghola--damn! A gom jabar as an agent of death. A sisterhood of witches, one Paul's mother. The Baron Harkonnen a psychotic floating as a way to manage his flab. The Fremen and the spice, with giant worms that could destroy installations.

And then these flabby subsequent books with none of the wonder and originality as the first.

I don't know what's come since, but in my mind there is no doubt that Dune is supreme.
I'm with you. To me, the original book is king with the following books being, not bad, but faded copies of the first idea.

Reactions: Elric
Aug 1, 2012
It's interesting to me that we can ascribe so much to people based on their involvement or reaction to this film. We can call them "woke", "victims", "snowflakes", insert our favorite insult here. Sort of sad to see that but not wholly unanticipated.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Just saw DUNE. This edition of the Frank Herbert epic epitomizes everything I loathe about self important films. It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world.
It’s like watching 2 1/2 hours of screen savers.
If long stretches of “meaningful” stillness and vacant prettiness are your thing, DUNE is for you.
2 out of 5, and that 2 is for production design. The rest of this mess is a 0.
Thanks Jesse.
I think I’ll just read it again.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
I saw Dune this weekend with my kids. I actually liked it compared to Lynch's version. I'd agree with some of the shortcomings but I still enjoyed it. I never read the book, and never really felt compelled to after watching the 1984 version. After leaving the theater Saturday, I now have a copy and am looking forward to diving in.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just saw DUNE. This edition of the Frank Herbert epic epitomizes everything I loathe about self important films. It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world.
It’s like watching 2 1/2 hours of screen savers.
If long stretches of “meaningful” stillness and vacant prettiness are your thing, DUNE is for you.
2 out of 5, and that 2 is for production design. The rest of this mess is a 0.
So, Jesse, did you like the flick?? :eek:

:sher:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have watched the movie another 3 times looking hard for some redeeming qualities.. The entire first scene of the book and the Lynch film had a 3rd stage guild navigator and the Emperor having a really important conversation. How did they think it was ok to delete that. My memory isn't great so I have to watch stuff 2-3 times before it sinks in.

I found the best way to watch the movie is totally baked and all the special affects look a bit cooler. In the Lynch film, the personal shields everyone has is a joke. But this version the shields were also for shit in a different way. The casting was also lacking in places. The Lady Jessica looks like an 18 year old girl, no where near old enough to be Paul's mother. She is not regal in any way shape or form and in Lynch's film he got that casting right on the money. Also what is with the curtains the Bene Jesuits have on their faces all the time, I don't remember that from the book or Lynch's film.

How could I forget this part. The Atredies had develop a new weapon using sound. When Paul and his mother escaped into the dessert there were plans to make these weapons. No mention of them, no showing what they could do in the beginning of the movie when Paul is jousting with Gurney. How about a mention about the Mentats, the human computers with the red stained lips? Not important I guess. How about the Baron Harkonen , not very well done.

The worms they made were great, A 9 out of ten on that one.

Aug 1, 2012
- why does the big fat guy (Emperor) float?
Someone correct me if I am wrong please. This was actually a bit of a creative liberty as the original book had Duke Harkonnen (sp?) walking under his own power but with the assistance of anti-gravity devices in his fat folds to keep them from weighing him down too much to walk.

Reactions: fightnhampster

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I've never read the book and I know absolutely nothing about Dune or the story. I was planning on watching it tonight based on some clips I've seen. Now, probably not.

After Googling it, I see there is a 1984 David Lynch DUNE. Any reviews on this version? Maybe I should watch that instead.
I heard the David Lynch movie was absolutely terrible, even worse than the new version. My son agreed with those opinions. I have not seen it, however.

Reactions: Pipeoff and scloyd