PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
It’s virtuous because there is no reward.

Not taking carts back (because most people don’t) hasn’t created more jobs. It’s just made messier parking lots.
Exactly.
Also, The cart boys’ job is to take the carts from the sheltered cart deposit thing back to the store, not collecting 800 carts piecemeal from 800 parking spots. And if enough people with Cosmic’s mindset follow suit it may create a few cartboy jobs, but you can best believe that the cost of that labor will be passed along to the consumer.

Fortunately the 3 stores I frequent people seem decent in this regard.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Typically, there are locations where we can return the shopping carts. I pick the one nearest my car where it's parked. I do see some people who just leave it at the parking lot, or just rolled to nearest drain hole. I'm not their mom. Let someone else's cart hit their car and they might learn.

Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Only in New Hampshire. What am I paying sales tax for if I can't abuse the help?

For the record, I rarely go places where I have to use a buggy that doesn't have someone push the buggy for me out to my car. I didn't like having someone push my buggy for me, till my wife pointed out that they were "special" folks. And, everyone had to have them push the buggies. Not like they thought hat I was too old, ha ha.

But, yeh... I would put my buggy up too, at least if they gave me corral to put it in, but I'm not taking it all the way back in.

It is just the social media shaming that goes with it, like tip shaming. To say that there is no reward is silly, this whole thread is a big pat on the back reward.

Reactions: JOHN72

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
A cart? That's a single axled contraption made out of wood, not to be confused with a barrow, which whilst similar to a cart is normally pulled along by hand, not by a horse, which is the favoured method if you own a cart. What you're referring to is a shopping 'trolley'. Stroll on, don't you yanks know nothing?
Round my way, the most popular way of return or disposal is via the local river or canal.
A few years ago I spoke to a couple of kids who told me they had been fishing over the weekend. When I asked about where they went and what the caught, they described the delights of local inner city ditch, and the fight they got from some mechanics tools that got 'hooked' on their magnet.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I always return it to the corral in the parking lot. I’ve been going to the same store for years and though I do not know his name, I certainly know the guy who collects the carts/buggies and I like to help him out, especially during the summer. I’d like to think he appreciates it because often he’ll grab it for me when he’s in the vicinity.

Reactions: scloyd and JOHN72

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I always park next to the cart return (I go very early when there is hardly anyone shopping). That way I’m already at the cart return when I load the groceries in the car. It’s no trouble at all.

Reactions: JOHN72

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Over here you have to return the shopping trolley to get your £1 coin back out of the slot you put it in to get the trolley in the first place.

Regards,

Jay.
Aldi, the name of a market here, makes you use a quarter which is the higest common coin people have. Half dollars and dollar coins exist but like our $2 bill no one has them usually. I figure it like this. The quarter or dollar is the fee to leave your cart in the lot and not return it. There used to be baggers, now you bag your groceries yourself; cashiers used to ring up your order, now you do that yourself. There's no service to customers left. I figure it's the responsibility of the store to provide service to you and the courtesy of putting back your cart. I don't mop the store floors, stock the shelves or get any of the store's profit either.

Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72