PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I've got a friend I discuss this with sometimes and we have become convinced this one act (or lack thereof) reveals a lot about a person's character. Returning a shopping cart to its proper place is something one does simply because it's the decent thing to do. There is no punishment for not doing so, and there is no reward for doing so. It only matters to the individual.

This is a pretty fun YT channel on this topic:

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Yes, I return it every time. When I was a kid I saw a guy not return his cart and it ended up rolling down the parking lot to crash into a car. The guy in the car was obviously pissed and the two guys got in a fight. Kind of stuck with me as to why the carts should be put back.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I am with Jay.
I want my £ back.

Even more annoying is when you get your trolley and you don't have a pound.

I nearly asked to borrow off the Big Issue seller (homeless person) once.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72
Precisely.
Imm'a nimal! woof woof
Acting Like A Dog GIFs | Tenor

• Haha

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Yes, I return the shopping cart after unloading groceries into the car.
Related: I sometimes enjoy hitting golf balls at the local driving range. And I always return the empty baskets when I'm done. I don't see anyone else doing this. The range usually has empty baskets strewn about.

Reactions: JOHN72 and scloyd

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
In Brazil I return the trolley to the proper spot (no money involved...).
In Australia I did the same (but got my $1 or 2$ coin back).
In London I usually let one of the homeless people take the trolley back so they could collect the £1. Actually, Sainsbury's in Whitechapel took out an injunction against these people who were always polite and didn't complain if the trolley user said no when asked if they could take the trolley back; they got a lot of bad publicity locally and relented

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Those who don't return shopping carts are likely the same ones who throw their garbage out on the side of the road. They can't be inconvenienced to do the right thing and feel that the rest of society simply exists to attend to their needs. It is most certainly a sign of low breeding.
Not so fast. I do return my shopping cart when I’ve unloaded it.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Those who don't return shopping carts are likely the same ones who throw their garbage out on the side of the road. They can't be inconvenienced to do the right thing and feel that the rest of society simply exists to attend to their needs. It is most certainly a sign of low breeding.
I think they are likely the same people. Example: yesterday I was outside in my front yard and this fellow drives by (way too fast, I mean, why should he have to drive responsibly in our neighborhood?) and tosses a water bottle out his car window. A neighbor's trash can was sitting by the curb and this person was trying to land a shot. He missed, so that meant someone else got to clean up after him. I'd be willing to bet he's the same kind of person that doesn't return his shopping cart.