PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Down here in the South, the true South, we call them "buggies." The word "Cart," is abrasive sounding, and hard on the ears. "May I return your buggie for you ma'am?"
"Go get me one of them buggies, Junior."
"Don't put that in my buggie."

And, what Northerners call golf carts... KARTz... we also call buggies. "Gandpaw got em one of them buggies to tool around the lake in."

Kartz... sounds like a cat hockin' a hairball, or maybe of German origins.

Whether you are virtuous by putting the Kartz up for people or not, are you being abrasive and harsh on everyone's ears?
What a strange & confused land the states is. Buggie to my ears sounds overtly familiar & somewhat sexual. All down to the education system I suppose. As far as I'm concerned, America went downhill when they took the fonz off the telly
TELEMMGLPICT00079202098_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqIGBrXjEx6ttpR7vQUDUeiUikPYR0xYwuEBLwP9UFqPg.jpeg.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Down here in the South, the true South, we call them "buggies." The word "Cart," is abrasive sounding, and hard on the ears. "May I return your buggie for you ma'am?"
"Go get me one of them buggies, Junior."
"Don't put that in my buggie."

And, what Northerners call golf carts... KARTz... we also call buggies. "Gandpaw got em one of them buggies to tool around the lake in."

Kartz... sounds like a cat hockin' a hairball, or maybe of German origins.

Whether you are virtuous by putting the Kartz up for people or not, are you being abrasive and harsh on everyone's ears?
I'm in Texas and some say "buggy" and some say "cart." Most say cart from what I can tell.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I'm already getting nervous. I mean if I visit the US, I could get life in prison for using the damn translator. I mean buggy is shopping cart, so you can't say I have the hot buggy, or buggie? I don't know what would happen if in a restaurant, I order hot German sausages, stuffed with Chinese duck milk, burnt, with whiskey. What if I order a hot cab with chocolate dough

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I order hot German sausages, stuffed with Chinese duck milk, burnt, with whiskey. What if I order a hot cab with chocolate dough
Google translator or not... if you order that down here, they'd smile politely and just bring you some pork chops and boiled turnip greens. They'd all be "too polite" to ask you what the hell all of that is.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: timelord and JOHN72

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Buggie sounds sexual? WTF, ha ha. You may be doing it wrong.
Buggie, booty, rap music, rap talk(?) all sounds very off to me.
Vive la difference as they say. I once had a dalliance with a southern girl. Very stimulating I found her. Horny, I guess is how you'd call it. She didn't say I did anything wrong.... Illegal in some states perhaps, but nothing wrong.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Aldi for the win.

$.25 needed to get the cart out of the corral and you get the quarter back when it's returned "home". The savings is passed down through lower priced groceries.

Not returning an Aldi cart is a double whammy since the person is throwing a quarter away by leaving it in the cart.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
What if you spent 6 months with a Finnish astronaut girl, in a space station, in the dark zone of Mars? No tobacco, no whiskey, no nail clippers

It's funny, restaurants get larger percentages of returns by not paying their staff a decent wage, and then shame us all into tipping. Now, instead of hiring an outside guy, we are all shamed into returning the buggies.
We cannot make the world a better and more fair place until we put our foot down on these things we shame each other over.

You think you are tipping the waitress, but you are also giving to the busboy, the cook staff, and the chef... because the bastards don't want to pay them out of those $45 plates they just served us. Back of house gets paid out of that 15% "gratuity" also. Maybe not every restaurant, but most places...

Now, "they" have us buggie shaming. Who gives a fuck. Push them things out into the street. Make these places pay up. So... it dips into their profits... yet, you guys are also ok with them manically rubbing their greedy fat fingers as "they" smile and laugh at us convincing each other that this stuff is shameful.

I say that these shamemongers are evil empowerers of a gross and unfair system. And, all of you think no further into these things than... "oh, I will be good and put a buggy back." OHHHHH good for you. Ppppphhhhhht on you. puffy

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: timelord and JOHN72
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I used to have a sponsor in AA who made me return carts if we ever walked by one. He said it was a simple act, but it was going out of my way to help somebody else. Now it's habit. I return mine and will return any near my vehicle. But man do I get ill when I see people leave em nowhere near the corral (sp?)
I like what the Cart Narcs are up to, albeit a little overboard.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
It's funny, restaurants get larger percentages of returns by not paying their staff a decent wage, and then shame us all into tipping. Now, instead of hiring an outside guy, we are all shamed into returning the buggies.
We cannot make the world a better and more fair place until we put our foot down on these things we shame each other over.

You think you are tipping the waitress, but you are also giving to the busboy, the cook staff, and the chef... because the bastards don't want to pay them out of those $45 plates they just served us. Back of house gets paid out of that 15% "gratuity" also. Maybe not every restaurant, but most places...

Now, "they" have us buggie shaming. Who gives a fuck. Push them things out into the street. Make these places pay up. So... it dips into their profits... yet, you guys are also ok with them manically rubbing their greedy fat fingers as "they" smile and laugh at us convincing each other that this stuff is shameful.

I say that these shamemongers are evil empowerers of a gross and unfair system. And, all of you think no further into these things than... "oh, I will be good and put a buggy back." OHHHHH good for you. Ppppphhhhhht on you. puffy
For me at least, "they" have absolutely nothing to do with me taking back a cart, but it has everything to do with me doing something decent simply because it's the decent thing to do. No other reason. No incentive (unless I'm at Aldi and want my quarter deposit back). No reward. No punishment. I think things like this are a character-revealer.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Aldi for the win.

$.25 needed to get the cart out of the corral and you get the quarter back when it's returned "home". The savings is passed down through lower priced groceries.

Not returning an Aldi cart is a double whammy since the person is throwing a quarter away by leaving it in the cart.
Airports have been doing this for years with luggage carts, and when people don't return them there are people that cruise around and return the carts for the deposit, a little cottage industry as it were.

For me at least, "they" have absolutely nothing to do with me taking back a cart, but it has everything to do with me doing something decent simply because it's the decent thing to do. No other reason. No incentive (unless I'm at Aldi and want my quarter deposit back). No reward. No punishment. I think things like this are a character-revealer.
I am not sure how it signals that you have a better character. If I started busing tables at a restaurant, and everyone starts doing this, they'd fire the busboy who could only get that job because he is slow in the head, and then he becomes homeless and a criminal to make ends meet. How is that doing good?

Used to, stores hired a guy to round up buggies all day long, but when people started shaming others into doing this for that guy, they fired him... and look at what great character we've made for ourselves. Meanwhile we've turned someone to a life of crime or drug use.

Now, am not shaming either way. But there is an adage that for every good thing a bad thing is created, and for every bad thing a good thing is made. I believe in nothing because everything is sacred, while at the same time I believe in everything because nothing is sacred.
Now, lets stop pretending that simply taking a buggy back into the store is somehow moral and virtuous. puffy

This was also a time when you only ever bought flour, sugar, and dried beans at the grocers, while you went to the butcher to get meat, and the milk was delivered. And, people cooked real food. Now, people go to the grocers to buy boxes and boxes of over processed shit and frozen garbage to put into their bodies because we are consumer monsters brainwashed by commercials. puffy

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I am not sure how it signals that you have a better character. If I started busing tables at a restaurant, and everyone starts doing this, they'd fire the busboy who could only get that job because he is slow in the head, and then he becomes homeless and a criminal to make ends meet. How is that doing good?

Used to, stores hired a guy to round up buggies all day long, but when people started shaming others into doing this for that guy, they fired him... and look at what great character we've made for ourselves. Meanwhile we've turned someone to a life of crime or drug use.

Now, am not shaming either way. But there is an adage that for every good thing a bad thing is created, and for every bad thing a good thing is made. I believe in nothing because everything is sacred, while at the same time I believe in everything because nothing is sacred.
Now, lets stop pretending that simply taking a buggy back into the store is somehow moral and virtuous. puffy
It’s virtuous because there is no reward.

Not taking carts back (because most people don’t) hasn’t created more jobs. It’s just made messier parking lots.

Reactions: Egg Shen

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
This was also a time when you only ever bought flour, sugar, and dried beans at the grocers, while you went to the butcher to get meat, and the milk was delivered. And, people cooked real food. Now, people go to the grocers to buy boxes and boxes of over processed shit and frozen garbage to put into their bodies because we are consumer monsters brainwashed by commercials. puffy
You forgot pickles in the barrel.

I loved going to the butcher with my mom as a child. All the sawdust on the floor, it had a great smell.

It’s virtuous because there is no reward.

Not taking carts back (because most people don’t) hasn’t created more jobs. It’s just made messier parking lots.
There are so many thing that I (we) do that don't have rewards, but yet no one associates with virtues. And, I argue that it does have a reward. A sense of smugness and "better-than-thou" is a reward. Actually buggy shaming has created a reward.

And, how do we know that it wouldn;t create jobs if we keep doing it? Costco, Sam's Club, the Mall pays people to return buggies from people's cars here. Publix Grocery stores here actually makes someone push buggies to people's cars for them, and they return them, This is their only jobs there. I talk to the Publix guy every time i go as he pushes my buggy. He wishes all of you would STOP doing his job, thank you very much.