Do You Collect Anything Other Than Pipes and Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
There's little I like more than witnessing expertise and enthusiasm in action. Even if it's a topic about which I'm completely ignorant (which is most).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jason, some nice sword guards you have there. I'm assuming they are made from cast bronze? Did the iron part of the sword rust away or is there another reason why they are separate?
Fmgee, you say "all shield bugs have five segmented antennae with the first being rather short. Your photo clearly only shows four."
Indeed it does but Palomena Prasina is only of the family of Pentatomidae (Greek for five segmented).
From Wikipedia...
"The green shield bug (Palomena prasina) is a shield bug of the family Pentatomidae. It may also be referred to as a green stink bug, particularly outside of Britain."
Actually it was seeing your bugs on the earlier post that spurred me on to posting the above.
I have another beetle, tiny brown thing with a head distinctly like a Darth Vader helmet though I've not been able to identify it.
Since investing in my microscopes (Meiji EMZ 13TR + Leica/Wild, both stereo zoom and a quality Chinese biological 'scope) there isn't much that I have not looked at and imaged. It's an entirely different world under those eyepieces as I'm sure you will agree.
Regards my blood, it's unusual as it clumped in Rouleaux fashion and suggests ill health which in my case is quite correct. The cells should be evenly scattered and not stacked coin fashion.
Regards,
Jay.
PS: take a look here...
https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/gallery/heteroptera/Pentatomoidea/pentatomoidea.html

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
mawnansmiff: Thank you for the inquiry. These Tsuba are all Iron and of different styles. The first is inlaid with multiple metals (gold, silver, shibuichi, copper, yagamane, etc.) each hand patinated to achieve different colors. The second is hand carved into iron and patina to protect from rust. The third is inlaid with bronze (Heianjo Zogan) which for a time had more value than gold in Japan.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I was editing post but got a message too old when I submitted-
mawnansmiff: Thank you for the inquiry. These Tsuba are all Iron and of different styles. The first is inlaid with multiple metals (gold, silver, shibuichi, copper, yagamane, etc.) each hand patinated to achieve different colors. The second is hand carved into iron and patina to protect from rust. The third is inlaid with bronze (Heianjo Zogan) which for a time had more value than gold in Japan.
The swords are often separated from the guards and displayed separately as individual art pieces. many times a koshirae is kept together to display as another art piece.A koshirae is all the elemental parts of the sword, without the blade. It is the handle, saya, sword guard and any decorations that would have been on the equipment.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I collect sharp things. This is a detail from a Wak I obtained recently.
sword.jpg

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
The term should be yamagane. It appears I misspelled it, or likely my phone is a jerk and randomly changed it, lol. Here is a quick link, http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/yamagane.html

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Jason, I see now it is a type of bronze after all.
Very versatile alloy is bronze, it has many uses in armaments of all kinds. I have two huge shell cases made from 'Admiralty Bronze'.
Regards,
Jay.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Used to be baseball cards but got out once the grading began.

Now I collect Roman coins and ex wives. Some are not in the best condition and were pretty cheap, the coins are in great shape however.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a Roman coin that was dug up under a bridge with a load more in Yorkshire. It is from the period of Emperor Victorinus and is circa 1,500 years old :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I collect cancer cells! My on going battle with this illness."
As you so often remind us George. Though I'm sure you have the sympathy and understanding of the forum, it's not really cricket to pound on about such a subject on a smoking forum.
Fill up your favourite bowl with your preferred blend, sit back, put your feet up and think of all the wonderful times you have had.
Regards,
Jay.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have a Roman coin that was dug up under a bridge with a load more in Yorkshire. It is from the period of Emperor Victorinus and is circa 1,500 years old :puffy:
Nice!

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2rLz4KcuE&list=FLpIPfNJcz8cF_HK3IR_FURA&index=66

Not my video but I currently own this coin.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I have a large book collection, mainly emphasizing hard to find/secret knowledge. It's a funny thing in this age of digital information but I prefer a hard copy. I have saved many rocks from my local area [Blue Ridge Mountains] and have them scattered around the yard, a few smaller ones inside. I have some framed art and a few Zuni fetish carved animals.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's a funny thing in this age of digital information but I prefer a hard copy."
Brightleaf, I couldn't agree more. The tactility of a 'proper' book beats any electronic version anytime. The only downside for me is that many of my books are huge, folio with some elephant folio editions that I struggle with due to their weight and my arthritis.
Regards,
Jay.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I saw you have a few nice dictionaries Mawnansmiff. I have quite a few myself. My personal favorite is a reprint of the 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster. I use it all of the time when I read books from the late 1700s to early 1900s. Modern dictionaries would lead to improper understandings. It is one of my most used books.
I have a few Big books as well, The Red Book by Carl Jung being one of the biggest I possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.