Do You Collect Anything Other Than Pipes and Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ashton Pipes
12 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
9 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
With any luck one of your kids will be bit by the learning bug. How cool it would be to share some time exploring the old pictures in the Natural History books.

tobacco-farm-600x308.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Buster, that chicken is adorable. We had one like that, she was that size full grown. I never did figure out exactly what breed she was. I drove a 120 mile round trip to get her from the feed store. We had hatched ONE egg from 40 we bought (don't ask) and wanted a companion. So, I drove to get the last chick from the store. Sadly she didn't live long, but she was a neat little hen.
Not a collection, but I have a piece of coal from the Titanic. They had pulled up a bunch of coal on one of the early robot dives and were selling fingernail size chunks for $25 I think it was, to raise money for more dives. Being a Titanic nut (that means I am a big nut?), I had to have a bit of coal.
Hebrew... I tried to learn some, and failed. I rely on my Strong's Concordance to help me stumble through now. That lexicon would be a literal Godsend to some of us. Shame it is so far away...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hebrew... I tried to learn some, and failed.
It's an interesting language. I did not realize that Tolkien used it as the basis for the language of the dwarves in Lord of the Rings. I am sure you needed this trivia... but is it really trivia?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Not a collection, but I have a piece of coal from the Titanic. They had pulled up a bunch of coal on one of the early robot dives and were selling fingernail size chunks for $25 I think it was, to raise money for more dives."
Nevada, you just reminded me that I have a bronze keyfob made from one of the propellers from the RMS Queen Mary!
Brett, Tolkien was a professional philologist and lexicographer who worked on the first edition of the OED. I believe he also taught Anglo Saxon at Oxford.
Regards,
Jay.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Film cameras (that I can actually use), LPs (Classical, Jazz and Modern Music) and straight razors (new ones to use,not antiques).

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I picked up the "Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary" this weekend. It had identical spines to the one in Jay's picture, but came as a boxed set with a magnifying glass. Such fun!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wyfbane, I assume you got the two volume edition? That is a micrographically reduced copy of the 1st. edition of the OED. If you look at the top right of my first picture you will see my set.
The 2nd. edition (the latest in print) was a twenty volume affair that was also micrographically reduced only this time with nine pages per page and in one behemoth of a single volume.
I have a boxed volume with magnifying glass for sale but the postage would be horrendous due to the weight of the damned thing.
Regards,
Jay.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I have a very modest coin collection and not so modest book and vinyl collections. Guitars and other musical instruments seem to find their way home with me as well. The majority of my collections are on the cheaper side but they all succeed in providing me great joy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The majority of my collections are on the cheaper side but they all succeed in providing me great joy."
Skydog, it matters not the monetary value of any collection, as you correctly point out, it's the pleasure one gets from acquiring and enjoying that collection that is the key.
I used shudder to think what my two daughters will do with my various collections when my time is up but I really shouldn't as I will be gone and therefore care not one fig :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I still worry about the fate of my collection mawnansmiff. I've had an eye out for a place I'd like to donate my library for many years now. Not that I am expecting to die anytime soon, it's more that I know a place I'd like it to be is hard to find.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wyfbane, the Bausch and Lomb magnifiers were (still are) top quality optics. Later sets of the dictionary shipped with lower quality magnifiers.
The micrographically reduced 2nd edition (the one HUGE volume) shipped with a mediocre magnifier that had a built in illuminator! Later versions came with a circular magnifier that actually sat on the page.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.