Do You Collect Anything Other Than Pipes and Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay- Lovely work! Yes, stacking images gets old pretty fast! I've never done more than 5 stacks, and don't plan to go back.
You should also be able to get great pix of bloom or it's unfortunate sometimes tin mate, mold.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@mawnansmiff: lovely books. The OED is my go-to resource for all language questions, and I anticipate consulting it this morning on the word "Judeo-Christian." I only have the two-volume set but used to be located near a full set I could use, which was every bit worth the effort.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You should also be able to get great pix of bloom or it's unfortunate sometimes tin mate, mold."
John, using the microscope with camera attached would be best for that.
"I only have the two-volume set..."
Brett, that would be the two volume micrographically produced set of the first edition with four reduced pages per page. It was supplied with a quality magnifying glass to enable reading.
I also have the twenty volume 2nd edition of OED (1989) which takes up nearly four feet of bookshelf. This too was micrographically printed only this time with nine reduced pages per page! That particular volume is a behemoth and weighs a ton!
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for the compliments guys. That garage is supposed to be part of a little layout based on a marble quarry at Ozora, Missouri. The layout is small, so I may be able to actually finish it one day. It is packed somewhere now, I have no idea where at this moment.

The layout had progressed to this point before the idea of moving came along. The quarry is a steeply tilted marble formation, and the quarry is quite a sight to behold. It is still there, long abandoned.
33739157116_5d8ea3e906_z_d.jpg

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I was really into vintage basketball cards. I had almost every single NY Knicks issued Topps and Fleer card from 1958 to 1981 graded a PSA 8 or 9. I also had complete player runs of my favorite basketball and baseball heroes graded PSA 8... with some 7's on the really pricey ones... Players were: Roy Campanella, Brooks Robinson, Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Carl Yastrzemski, Steve Carlton, Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Thurman Munson, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Willie Stargell, Sandy Koufax, Chis Short and Ron Guidry.... Some others... and bk: chamberlain, kareem/lou alcindor, oscar robinson, connie hawkins jerry west, egin baylor, john havlicek, nate archibald, dr. j, artis gilmore, george gervin... and of course all knicks...
I slowly sold all of this off over 15 years and all I have left are Walt Fraziers and some other Knicks and Yankees. At one point, it was roughly 30k worth of graded cards.

The grading ruined the hobby for me though. I couldn't fathom a perfect Bo Belenski being worth more than a Brooks Robinson with a micro imperfection.
My signed 1972-1973 championships Knicks pennant is hanging in my friend's man cave.
Now, I collect Vinyl (Hawkwind and 1970's-1980's metal lps especially).

I collect Blackwing pencils.

I collect Richard Burton, Marlon Brandon, Oliver Reed and Diana Rigg photos.
I am trying not to collect pipes. I'm afraid that will ruin it for me.
Becoming a collector of things that are relatively expensive is a drain on me.

I get too obsessed.

I'll try to find photos.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I have collected various things in the past including stamps and postal markings from a single post office. For a long time I collected bird sightings but now I have been bitten by a different bug... well beetles actually and that is what I collect. I specialize in what I can find outside my back door but that generally means anything in the Pacific North West. My passion is the family Elateridae, commonly known as Click Beetles. A hyper diverse group that very few people can identify. I am slowly getting the know them. They are mostly black or brown and pretty small but I remember playing with them when I was a kid and now I can afford microscopes and things to get a better look at them and I gravitated back to them.
In my distant past I collected mosses and lichens and I just had a species named after me a couple of weeks ago. It seems my collection from a tiny island between Tasmania and the Australian mainland was a new species that is not known from anywhere else.
I guess I also collect taxonomic knowledge as I spend pretty much every waking moment identifying things from nature for either work, myself or various groups and phone apps that I support. I spent my day at work yesterday identifying invasive Bryozoans and Tunicates which were new groups for me.
I might as well post a couple of beetle images of mine here as well, I hope they are not too large
A click beetle, male Idolus columbianus

BRZQURLQJRSQTRQQWRJKYQX0WRHQ9RJKTRXQDRP0TQP0CRFKVRMQTRQQK080YQ50BRHQ1R50WR70R0XQ.jpg

Cryptophagus sp.

9HFHXHFHWHFHPHJH2HWZLLPZ8HOHIHDHHL5ZLLBHSL8Z4HBH5H6ZGLNZMLBZWHLR6HBZXLHR9HCHSLOH.jpg

Another click beetle, Selatosomus sp

CKMKEKLKWK0KUK0KV08QUK4KUKLKWKZKB0UQCKGK9KLKWKLKO05QEKKKD02QV0QKV04QT00KWK0KA09Q.jpg

and another click beetle, Cardiophorus sp

NQHS1QF09QZS1QLS9Q1KGKY05KZSEQ9K4KUKLK1KXKCKMKCK4K9KEQUKZK1K4KAK8KLS8KAKBQLSXKRS.jpg

I also keep track of other insects I find but only with photographs

here is a Chalcid wasp, female Megastigmus spermotrophus

UHYHNHLRNH3H6HFH4LHR8LVZMLLRILJHMHOH7HTHLLNZLLTH5HLRMLAZNHHRWHRREHFHML8Z8HLRIL8Z.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Now, I collect Vinyl (Hawkwind and 1970's-1980's metal lps especially)."
Last Tango, it's a shame you aren't in the UK as I have many Hawkwind albums and singles including several rarities. One time, years ago when Church Of Hawkwind was released I rushed into town to buy a copy. I did so then rushed home to play it but was bloody annoyed to find that side 1 was indeed Hawkwind but side 2 was Whitesnake due to a mis-pressing! I was livid. I took it back to be replaced...I can only wonder how much that would be worth today :crying:
I'm slowly ridding myself of vinyl in preference to CDs.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here are some more micro pictures. Some were taken with the camera attached to a biological microscope with a magnification range of 40x to 2000x. Others were taken on a stage with the camera and lenses mounted on a tripod. Some are stacked shots (multiple images made into one), others are lucky single shots.
First up is a single scale from a sea bass at three levels of mag...
1x29-600x400.jpg

2x30-600x400.jpg

3x25-600x400.jpg

Next up is a single diatom. Diatoms are minute micro organisms and at least 100,000 species are known to exist...
4x24-600x450.jpg

I have imaged many of my own body parts and secretions, here is my blood...
5x23-600x450.jpg

Next up are two images of a tiny clothes moth. The scales on the body are clearly seen...
6-54-helicon-altx-600x410.jpg

7-31-50-zs-pmax-altx-600x436.jpg

Here is a shield bug. The reason why the hind legs are blurred is that despite spending several minutes in my killing jar it still wasn't quite finished hence every shot taken for the image stack the legs were in a slightly different position...
8-112-zs-pmax-altx-600x420.jpg

Here are the reproductive parts of a tiny 'crown of thorns' flower...
9x16.jpg

Spiders are not my favourite creatures so I had to really bite my lip whilst doing this little beastie. The second image clearly shows his eight eyes...
10x14-600x400.jpg

11x11-600x467.jpg

Finally a harvestman spider taken on a gravestone in the village churchyard...
12x7-600x400.jpg

Regards,
Jay.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Jay, your "clothes moth" (family Tineidae) is not a clothes moth but a grass moth from the family Crambidae. Your "shield bug" (superfamily Pentatomoidea) is a Squash Bug from the family Coreidae, superfamily Coreidae. :roll:
I had to add the eye roll because you are very fond of using it in your posts.
Fantastic photos but the way.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Fmgee, regards the clothes moth, that is what I was told it was. I am no entomologist but I am willing to learn so thanks for the correction. I have to admit, its colour doesn't match that of clothes moth images I have seen.
Regarding the shield bug (Palomena prasina, family Pentatomidae) I will stand firm, a squash bug has a totally different shape and climate preference.
I take it you have an interest in such yourself?
No emoji this time.
PS: Did you spot what was odd about my red blood cells?
Regards,
Jay.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
Well, apparently having 8 children wasn't enough to warrant any attention in the collecting category so let us try something a bit more materialistic. How about Japanese Antiquities? I collect Japanese Antiques, primarily from pre-Edo era. Most of my collection is sword or sword related. Below are 3 pictures of sword guards, known as Tsuba in the Japanese arts. Each of these are hundreds of years old.
20170819_140141.jpg

20170819_135914.jpg

20170819_140004.jpg

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Jay, I like the firm stance. It just means I need to tip you over from the foundations.
Palomena prasina is not what you have in your photo. You can see a photo of that species here. All shield bugs have 5 segmented antennae with the first being rather short. Your photo clearly shows only 4. Beyond that I would need to get a little technical and talk about the shape of the pronotum and scutellum and a few other bits. I wish I could offer a deeper ID but I cannot see enough and also do not know British bugs at all (apart from the many invaders we have here in North America).
Yes I have a strong interest in entomology, if you look at the last post on the previous page you can read a little about it. I am certainly not a pedant when it comes to correct identification of specimens. You may have drawn the short straw here but generally I love it when I know people are looking at all aspects of nature and don't like to put them off with technical arguments about what it is or is not.
As to your blood photo... are those stacks of red blood cells? Possibly an artifact of preparing the specimen or something else? I have not looked at slides of blood in many years so I am totally guessing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.