PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why can't I think of any blend that I totally disliked? Maybe I am blocking those experiences, or perhaps I have no taste at all.

Most of my complaints are sort of lame. I thought Half-and-Half was a little harsh for a simple Virginia-burley blend, but I finished the pouch and just didn't buy it again. A few blends tasted quite good but didn't burn very well, though I have solved that by grating the pieces into a smaller cut that burns better.

I've had some extra strong blends, like Tambolaka, an Indonesian air-cured burley, but I bought it to try a very strong leaf, and liked it for what it was.

Long ago, I dove into Nightcap and smoked a little too much a little too fast, but I enjoyed it at a slower pace.

I think you have to learn most blends. If you can smoke them enough to learn how to smoke them, you will probably enjoy them to some degree.

I should have had a career as a diplomat. But if I think of a blend that really was reprehensible, I'll speak up.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
For me it would be Viprati. I do not mind the taste; however, the tongue bite I get from that blend is just pure misery. I ended up jarring up 75% of the tin and may try it again in a few years to see if some age will tame the flaming dragon.

Reactions: orvet and Buffalo

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
For me it would be Viprati. I do not mind the taste; however, the tongue bite I get from that blend is just pure misery. I ended up jarring up 75% of the tin and may try it again in a few years to see if some age will tame the flaming dragon.
I received a tin of Viprati a couple years ago when P&C were throwing a big grab bag of stuff when you purchased X amount. I have yet to pop it open and try it yet. Thanks for the heads up! I will have to make sure I smoke it nice and slow when I get around to it!

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Here’s a scientific depiction of an anatomical dummy that depicts where on the doll Haddos Delight hurt me.

View attachment 174161
If it's true that your left arm and both of your legs are detached from your body, I would say the side effects of smoking Haddos is the least of your problems.

Of all things, a pipe forum instills in me, at age 37, a deep regret for not having seriously pursued medical school. Who'd have thought?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I remember not but a couple of years ago when Exotic Passion was well loved and Lakelands were viewed as the lowest of the low.
As it should be.
Exotic Orange, as it was known before the Word and Thought Police cornered it’s creators and beat the crap out of them, is a wonderful blend. Just be aware that it has a lasting, lingering quality exceeded only by the vile 1Q. I ghosted my car with it. Took weeks for it to dissipate.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Strauss Sleepy Hollow or whatever Sutliff variant that it comes from. I know many love it but it was absolutely vile to me. It will ghost a pipe very badly as well. I bought five ounces and choked and gagged my way through three bowls before tapping out. I really wanted to like this stuff and tried to give it a fair shake. I wound up giving it away to someone who enjoys it.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Anything with tropical or Hawaiian in the name. The pineapple and coconut toppings taste so bad with tobacco I can't tell if those are like troll tobaccos or something bit yuck for real