PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
C&D Baileys Front Porch is the only blend I've ever thrown away, and I'm a big burley guy. Didn't pass it on, sell it, gift it etc, just straight in the trash.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm glad to see GLP's Haddo's Delight here. Being a huge fan of Pease's blends (English, VAs, Vapers, Vaburs, depending on my mood), and also knowing that GLP's blends take some smoking, I want to like Haddo's. It just doesn't work for me. Given that it is one of the Pease blends that is sold in a 1 lb. can, people do like it obviously. This always mystified me.
One thing to always consider is the fact that every single blend no matter how widely viewed as repellant has a very good chance of being some ones favorite and their future sysphian quest for a match blend. Another thing if you hear what people say about certain blends no body sense the same exact things in them. The more complex the blend the more likely that is to stand out. In my mind I joke to myself sometimes that people either get good or bad blends.
And I am finally going to put out my evil opinion on which blend I found least enjoyable ever.
Capstan Blue. It was not bad, I even could see why it's a classic standard blend that has stood the test of time. Yet it bored me. No matter what I did with it, that blend never grabbed my attention and never gave me the full on smoking pleasure I can get even when a blend doesn't do much for me flavor wise. I tried it in every pipe I have. I aired it out and dried it out. But at the end of the day it just reminded me of similar blends that I can't get enough of. Maybe if it was my first of that style. And to me boring is worse then bad. Bad can be interesting and an experience. I can listen to (not all the time) music that is butchered, but I can't enjoy Kenny G.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Old Toby/Mirkwood from The Country Squire - not something a hobbit would smoke, can't see why anyone smokes this stuff.

Warped The Red Hunt - the topping on this...just awful, on top of what other wise would be amazing components.

Reactions: Peterson314

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I remember back in the late 80s a shop in town used to sell a bland called "Patriot". It tasted like Peragoric, which has got to be the worst tasting medicine in the world. Instead of Patriot I used to call it Skud. puffy

Reactions: ChonkyTonks

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Borkum Riff Whiskey is mine. I really don't understand why it's in production and readily available all over. It's a disservice to the pipe smoking community, new smokers try it and assume all pipe tobacco tastes as awful.

HH Rustica might be the only premium blend I've ever tried that I tried and immediately didn't like, and still don't. Every other blend I've tried seems to have it's place, but Rustica just tasted like those craft IPAs where the brewer tries to overdo the hops to some ridiculous degree.

If anyone wants a jar with about 1/2 a tins worth of Rustica, PM me.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Maybe if it was my first of that style.
I've often wondered how important the first few blends are in creating the expectations of a future palate. Or maybe the first few blends we actually like. Perhaps it has as much to do with the history of what we've tried as anything else. That would certainly add another factor to understanding palate varieties.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've often wondered how important the first few blends are in creating the expectations of a future palate. Or maybe the first few blends we actually like. Perhaps it has as much to do with the history of what we've tried as anything else. That would certainly add another factor to understanding palate varieties.
As always taste is going to be a very complicated thing with a lot of ins and outs and a lot of things that are too mixed in with each other to really pick apart. Like pulling the salt out of your soup!

Reactions: kcghost