120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
There may be a way to smoke Borkum Riff Whiskey without feeling as if you've been bitten by a rabid dog, but I don't know how. It was the first tobacco I ever tried and I've no idea how or why I chose to continue. There was no internet in those days, and it was easy to remain ignorant of the many wonderful alternatives.

Another to avoid: C&D's Bowlegged Bear. It's not so much the tobacco as it is the nicotine content. One bowl and my head was spinning. I had to have a friend drive me home. As I said, too many wonderful alternatives.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
For every blend one person says sucks three others will swear by.
This could not be more true.
Old thread, I know, but I kinda funny.
One of the above blends that Alaskanpiper is referring to (Presbyterian reformation) was actually given to me by him, the rest of the tin that is, and I love it. Have been exploring similar blends since! Granted, I’m pretty new and absolutely understand my palette and tastes will change. But hey, you like what you like, thats what makes it fun

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Sutliff 515 RC-1. Nearly needed therapy after trying it. Easily dethroned the previous spot holder, C&D Autumn Evening.
It’s funny how we all have disparate tastes. Those are two of my favorites . Autumn Evening is the only aromatic I’ll touch. Thanks.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
It’s funny how we all have disparate tastes.
Indeed! It's one of the immutable constants of the pastime, and I regard that as a blessing. Even factoring in the modern day demonization of pipes and pipe tobacco, the sheer abundance and diversity of blends available verges on overwhelming.

In the interest of full disclosure, 515 RC-1 has since been dethroned by Captain Black Grape. That one nearly got me served via Certified Mail with divorce paperwork. 😬

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Haunted Bookshop. It makes the gills of the jaw go, similar to when you're just about to throw up. A spiteful blend, like smoking rotten lemons.
Haunted Bookshop was the first blend I "got" when trying to switch over from cigarettes. Something about the raw harsh tobaccos assaulting my nose and throat just resonates with me, like a bridge from cigarettes to pipes.

Many blends that I've binned I'm starting to wonder if it was poor technique or underdeveloped palate from being a beginner. Maybe Bold Kentucky or PS Black Cavendish deserve another chance? Maybe by now I have the experience to unlock the secrets of Amphora?

Reactions: UncleRasta

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Don't mind me--just thought I'd drop in after surveying this entire thread to date. I'm in disagreement with about 90% of what's been posted here. I think that's hilarious.

Here's a knee-slapper of my own: I could never get into SWR. Many attempts over the years, but just no go, Walt. Really sorry. I like OTCs, probably better than the premium stuff, judging by the quantity I've smoked.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Haunted Bookshop. It makes the gills of the jaw go, similar to when you're just about to throw up. A spiteful blend, like smoking rotten lemons.
Having heard much priase for Haunted Bookshop over the years, I finally bought some to sample a couple of years ago. One of it's chief attractions, according to the hubbub, is the nicotine wallop. Flavorwise I found it harsh and unpleasant, so after a few bowls the remainder went into the garbage. It's different strokes for different folks.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Having heard much priase for Haunted Bookshop over the years, I finally bought some to sample a couple of years ago. One of it's chief attractions, according to the hubbub, is the nicotine wallop. Flavorwise I found it harsh and unpleasant, so after a few bowls the remainder went into the garbage. It's different strokes for different folks.
If we all smoked the same tobacco, marched to the beat of the same drum, enjoyed the same food, beverages and pastimes, life would be a bore.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I tried to like Haunted Bookshop. I jarred it for a year and a half, and that helped, but still just didn’t do it for me. I’m using it to blend with a few aromatics that I’m working through that are a bit too sweet. Actually makes for a nice smoke.

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Only tin i've given away after trying to like was Cult Blood Red Moon. Loved the tin aroma, but couldn't stand the taste

Reactions: Elric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm blessed with a fairly wide taste for blends. I was able to smoke my way through a tin of Molte Dolce as a novelty, and though I haven't tried Rustica, I think I could use it as a bolster for over-mild blends if I didn't enjoy the occasional blast of it neat.

One blend that didn't work out was a Mac Baren's Mixture of some kind. I tried it in medium chambers, in small ones, and then mixed with other things, and aged quite a bit. It never got past the McBite category. I got something tasty around the edges of it, but it was always harsh in the extreme.

I'm a burley guy first and foremost, but enjoy a good Virginia, Va/Pers, some tobacco forward aromatics, cigar leaf neat, Latakia and Perique blends, orientals, and so on. Sometimes I even enjoy a totally mild blend like Spilman Mixture or Velvet.

If it weren't or the variety, I'd still smoke a pipe, but I think I'd go from a bowl a day to a few bowls a week or so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would not discourage anyone from trying a blend unless I have sufficient knowledge on their preferences.

If that were the case though, I would discourage any serious Lat aficionado from smoking SG Perfection. It's the most boring, dull, tasteless Latakia blend I've ever come across.
Find a tin of this. The most wrongly named blend EVER.

img_20171218_003336.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Five Brothers Smoking Tobacco! is at the top of my list. I know that some here find it to be ambrosial; to me it It tasted of CHEAP cigarettes, and had no redeeming virtues whatsoever. Horrible Mention goes to Mixture 79 (perhaps Mr. Hefner actually preferred women who smelled like their grandmothers' worst purfumes? Now there's a scary thought!).

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and jpmcwjr