PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Hello @didimauw,

Hello @didimauw
I've been wanting to write and thank you for a long time, but I can only write now due to setbacks, workload etc. Sorry.
First of all, thank you for starting such a project and sharing the developments with the meerschaum lovers in this forum and informing them, and also for choosing an altinay meer for this project.

By the way, it should not be forgotten that there are many factors that affect the coloration speed of the pipe, such as smoking frequency, tobacco type and smoking temperature.

Last year, a friend of mine shared the process with us on Instagram, as a March Meerschaum Madness project, by filling the same pipe for an average of 8 times a day for 1 month, making approximately 270 fillings throughout the month of March.

Although he originally planned to complete the project with a coloring bowl, he stopped using the coloring bowl on the 2nd or 3rd day as he had difficulty using the bowl during the day, while working and driving.

Below you can see a few photos of the coloration process of the pipe in only 1 month.

View attachment 206028
View attachment 206029
View attachment 206030
View attachment 206031
View attachment 206032
View attachment 206033

That’s an incredible amount of coloring for such a dense, rusticated block of meerschaum. From what I’ve observed the rusticated ones tend to be thicker pieces and harder to color but I defer to Said’s expertise and I may be wrong.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That’s an incredible amount of coloring for such a dense, rusticated block of meerschaum. From what I’ve observed the rusticated ones tend to be thicker pieces and harder to color but I defer to Said’s expertise and I may be wrong.
Yeah there seems to be no rhyme or reason for how much or little a pipe colors. Everytime I think I "get it" someone else comes along and blows that theory out of the water! 😂

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Yeah there seems to be no rhyme or reason for how much or little a pipe colors. Everytime I think I "get it" someone else comes along and blows that theory out of the water! 😂
Seriously though. The only thing that seems to be a constant is that a month or two of 5-10 bowls a day will almost certainly yield SOME sort of coloring. 1-2 bowls a day for a year seems to yield less color than 5-10 bowls a day for a month.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Seriously though. The only thing that seems to be a constant is that a month or two of 5-10 bowls a day will almost certainly yield SOME sort of coloring. 1-2 bowls a day for a year seems to yield less color than 5-10 bowls a day for a month.
Yup, my pipe in two months has colored less than embers in a few weeks with the same amount of bowls. However he also smokes pipes whose chambers can fit my whole pipe. So there's that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now, you said you may keep going on it. Might as well take it for a whole year, and turn that thing black!
Check the last comment in this post. ;)

Post in thread '100 Smokes in the Owl' 100 Smokes in the Owl :: Meerschaum Pipes - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/100-smokes-in-the-owl.97083/post-36771238

No. Can I see it ?
Yep!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hello @brian64 It was classified as small.
With exceptions, we classify pipes with a height(not chamber depth) of up to 44mm as small.
Thanks Said. When I see metric measurements it just doesn't register...I haven't memorized what these size ranges are in mm.

All of my Altinay pipes are the large size, and they are really just right for me...tend to be about an hour smoke...or even a little longer if it's a slower burning blend. And they are still very light and easy to clench.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thanks Said. When I see metric measurements it just doesn't register...I haven't memorized what these size ranges are in mm.

All of my Altinay pipes are the large size, and they are really just right for me...tend to be about an hour smoke...or even a little longer if it's a slower burning blend. And they are still very light and easy to clench.
Me neither. Gotta google it every time. Sometimes multiple times a day lol.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Yup, my pipe in two months has colored less than embers in a few weeks with the same amount of bowls. However he also smokes pipes whose chambers can fit my whole pipe. So there's that.

I would hazard a guess that the amount of bowls per day is more important than bowls total - with multiple bowls per day the moisture would have less time to dry out and so work it's way into to the pipe under the heat.