PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
hoggarts don't give the pipe any trouble with the lakeland flavor!!! i only smoke mixtures of virginia and I have pipes that are better with some tobacco but I smoke everything in all!

Reactions: eljimmy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Except for those with truly sensitive taste, I'd only bother with dedicating pipes for Lakeland aromatics, and not Lakeland non-aromatics. I'm not sensitive to Latakia nor aromatic ghosting otherwise. If you have more than twenty pipes that you rotate, and if you clean them well after each smoke, you aren't likely to taste any residual flavors from previous smokes. However, if it makes your smoking better, dedicate away. I feel sure that pipe dedicating is among the top three number of threads on Forums.

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
Except for those with truly sensitive taste, I'd only bother with dedicating pipes for Lakeland aromatics, and not Lakeland non-aromatics. I'm not sensitive to Latakia nor aromatic ghosting otherwise. If you have more than twenty pipes that you rotate, and if you clean them well after each smoke, you aren't likely to taste any residual flavors from previous smokes. However, if it makes your smoking better, dedicate away. I feel sure that pipe dedicating is among the top three number of threads on Forums.
i've never had any problems with hoggart scented, I've got more than 50 pipes and I always clean it up. I don't smoke EM, but in that case, I'd dedicate pipes!!!

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I split between english, VA based and aromatics. Haven't found a need to refine beyond that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I do have some blends dedicated to specificate blends, For example, I smoke my 1998 Stonehaven in both of my Rad Davis Lovats. I then switched one of the lovats into one of my Jack Howell Billiards. For over a year plus I was smoking some of my 1997 Stonehaven in my 2012 GL Pease Goblin. It may be time to crank up that Talbert with the 2012 GL Pease again. I usually have at least 3-4 for specific pipes. I am debating what pipe will go for what pipe.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have two briars, one for all aromatics, one for all non. Very basic. You'll see that some others make a 3rd category for straight VAs, and keep all other non-aromatics in their own group. If you have something like Molto Dolce or Captain Black Cherry, I advise against even using a pipe for them. Those are best as bonfire tinder. :col:

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I have two briars, one for all aromatics, one for all non. Very basic. You'll see that some others make a 3rd category for straight VAs, and keep all other non-aromatics in their own group. If you have something like Molto Dolce or Captain Black Cherry, I advise against even using a pipe for them. Those are best as bonfire tinder. :col:
I dig the simplicity of that. And that last line made me laugh. hahaha

Reactions: Servant King

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I try to keep it simple. Cob for heavy aromatics and that’s it. And I almost never smoke aromatics. I have one tin only, Peterson’s Connoisseur’s Choice.

I love Latakia, so I’m not bothered by any possible flavor left behind. Actually I would enjoy a Latakia leftover when smoking a VaPer.

My pipes are cleaned good after each smoke so I don’t detect any ghost from any blend anyways.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I try to keep it simple. Cob for heavy aromatics and that’s it. And I almost never smoke aromatics. I have one tin only, Peterson’s Connoisseur’s Choice.

I love Latakia, so I’m not bothered by any possible flavor left behind. Actually I would enjoy a Latakia leftover when smoking a VaPer.

My pipes are cleaned good after each smoke so I don’t detect any ghost from any blend anyways.
Sounds like you have a good system going.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I keep 6-12 pipes for each blend type, and 3 blend dedicated pipes. My aromatics seem to have more blend dedicated pipes than the others do. Mostly due to specifically different aromatics, like Autumn Evening or Eileen's Dream.

The other dedicated pipe is for Frog Morton Original, simply dont want anything to contaminate that pipe, at least until i'm right out of the stuff.

BeardonBoards

Lurker
Jan 12, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Since you are just starting, I would say pick up a set of Smokable seconds from Missouri Meerschaum. Or pick up a few briars for super cheap from RNA Treasures. This will allow a good rotation as you continue to build your briar collection. Once you have enough pipes I use my cobs for testers for new blends to see if I like them and some cobs or falcons for aromatics. Otherwise I try to separate when possible. If you need some cheap pipes let me know, I have too many cheap pipes

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
As a fairly new pipe smoker I can't fully commit to one blend or the other just yet. I've been buying a ton of Mac Baren stuff lately but that's mostly an availability thing. I like my fun cuts, like flake and rope so I'm using one specific pipe for that most times. I was buying pipes based on shape and price but now that I'm finding more about what I like I think my future purchases will reflect that.

I'm sure once I have collected a few more pipes and learned more about what I like, I'll end up dedicating some pipes. Like having a different pipe for different types of flake. I think mainly though you want to keep strong stuff like Latakia or aromatics aside.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I’ve dedicated an unfinished pipe to Escudo. I wanted to enjoy this blend to its fullest without a ghost. After awhile I decided to try some Orlick in this pipe, and it “ruined” my next several bowls of Escudo. The ghosting is real with some blends for sure.