PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
So I'm new to the game but I try to do a lot of reading before I ask questions. Sorry if this has been answered before.

Flavor ghosting, I completely get it, question is do you guys have dedicated pipes for certain blends? if so whats your way of doing it? Theres a ton of blends but is there a common 8 (Way more I'm sure) tobacco bases for all these blends?

Fn over thinker question. Hahahaha! Thanks in advance

I dedicated my pipes to genres for a while, but forgot which ones were which or only had one pipe with me and wanted to smoke something different and eventually gave up. Now, I have one cob for the occasional aromatic and the rest I just smoke whatever I want in. I can deal with the faint ghosts here and there and it doesn’t detract from my enjoyment. A blend that’s new to me I might smoke only in one pipe for a week or so, just to get to know it...but after that I don’t bother.

I think a good bit of advice to someone new, who maybe only has a couple pipes, is just to keep one for Virginia blends only, as they tend to have more delicate flavors and it might help you key in on those flavors a little better if there aren’t Latakia/Dark Fired ghosts haunting the pipe.

It’s all personal preference at the end of the day really. If I had 100 pipes I’d probably dedicate, but I don’t, so I don’t.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
My pipes are hard working and dedicated! :LOL:

Seriously though, I generally dedicate my briar pipes to general blend categories. I have a few (3-4) dedicated to Latakia blends, a couple dedicated to Burley-based blends, and the rest dedicated to Va/VaPer/VaOr blends, which comprise the vast majority of what I smoke. Cobs are generally used for Burley or Va, and I have a couple of Meers that are used more generally as well. I have one briar dedicated to heavy Lakelands.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
and I am firmly in the camp of just grab any pipe following a rotation and whatever I feel like smoking that day. Personally I do find a little bit of this pipe agrees best with these blends like I'll smoke more VA out of my Canadian but it's not a rule as much as they really go well together and more likely to smoke burlies out of my churchwarden because again they just seem to really pop. But I feel like ghosting isn't the issue people say it is. And like a lot of things with pipes you have to find what makes you happy and go with that until something else makes you happy. But there are few requirements but lots of factors. Slow down if you want a cooler smoke. Pack the pipe so you don't have to fight it to get a good smoke in. Lots to learn and most of it though are just helpful hints leading to your own personal pipe nirvana. As you try things you'll get your own personal light bulb moments and soon you'll be helping new pipe smokers too.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I dedicate all my pipes to all those lovely tobacco out there! I love you crazy blends! Free love and equal opportunity smoke in all pipes and all blends! God bless America and specially the tobacco growing states!

Reactions: Reggie and eljimmy

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I've looked up cleaning techniques but I'd like to hear of yours if you wouldn't mind.
Sure thing! I'm pasting the following from another thread:
To keep my pipes clean and fresh I clean out the ones I've smoked during the week with high proof alcohol. I prefer Wray's Overproof Rum (63%), but any high test drinking booze will do.
Simply soak one end of a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and run that end down from the bit to the bowl, scrubbing gently as you go. Pull it out and run the dry end down. Wrap a napkin around the stem to catch any alcohol that seeps out of the bit. Bend the cleaner in half and soak the bend in alcohol, them run that around the interior of the bowl really well to give it a good soaking and smooth out all the schmutz. Wipe the interior dry with the napkin and let the pipe air out overnight.
This is for standard pipes. Process is a little different for Falcons, Peterson System, and filtered pipes.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Sure thing! I'm pasting the following from another thread:
To keep my pipes clean and fresh I clean out the ones I've smoked during the week with high proof alcohol. I prefer Wray's Overproof Rum (63%), but any high test drinking booze will do.
Simply soak one end of a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and run that end down from the bit to the bowl, scrubbing gently as you go. Pull it out and run the dry end down. Wrap a napkin around the stem to catch any alcohol that seeps out of the bit. Bend the cleaner in half and soak the bend in alcohol, them run that around the interior of the bowl really well to give it a good soaking and smooth out all the schmutz. Wipe the interior dry with the napkin and let the pipe air out overnight.
This is for standard pipes. Process is a little different for Falcons, Peterson System, and filtered pipes.
Thank you for the explanation!

Reactions: indoeuro

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
and I am firmly in the camp of just grab any pipe following a rotation and whatever I feel like smoking that day. Personally I do find a little bit of this pipe agrees best with these blends like I'll smoke more VA out of my Canadian but it's not a rule as much as they really go well together and more likely to smoke burlies out of my churchwarden because again they just seem to really pop. But I feel like ghosting isn't the issue people say it is. And like a lot of things with pipes you have to find what makes you happy and go with that until something else makes you happy. But there are few requirements but lots of factors. Slow down if you want a cooler smoke. Pack the pipe so you don't have to fight it to get a good smoke in. Lots to learn and most of it though are just helpful hints leading to your own personal pipe nirvana. As you try things you'll get your own personal light bulb moments and soon you'll be helping new pipe smokers too.
Yeah I like this way of being. I want to enjoy the smoke and not overthink things. I'm definitely soaking in all the information

Reactions: anotherbob

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
So I'm new to the game but I try to do a lot of reading before I ask questions. Sorry if this has been answered before.

Flavor ghosting, I completely get it, question is do you guys have dedicated pipes for certain blends? if so whats your way of doing it? Theres a ton of blends but is there a common 8 (Way more I'm sure) tobacco bases for all these blends?

Fn over thinker question. Hahahaha! Thanks in advance
No...it's just not that big of an issue to me although I do understand why it may be to some.