PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
So I'm new to the game but I try to do a lot of reading before I ask questions. Sorry if this has been answered before.

Flavor ghosting, I completely get it, question is do you guys have dedicated pipes for certain blends? if so whats your way of doing it? Theres a ton of blends but is there a common 8 (Way more I'm sure) tobacco bases for all these blends?

Fn over thinker question. Hahahaha! Thanks in advance

Last edited:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is one of those things that is very much an individual matter.
I maintain three rotations - one group of pipes for lat blends, one for Virginias, and one for aros. I don't smoke Lakelands, and I don't smoke anything with more than the faintest whisper of perique, so I don't worry about that. I have found, on occasion, that a certain blend works so well with a certain pipe, that I dedicate that pipe to that blend. puffy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Some of mine are blend specific, the rest are genre specific. If I like a blend well enough to dedicate a pipe entirely to it, I commission one for it.
I was coming to the conclusion that I'd smoke similar blends in one pipe. if I really love a blend I would definitely dedicate a pipe to it. Guess the pipe collection will grow as I fall for blends. Thank you for the reply.

You commission one?? Custom pipe?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Genre specific, meaning different pipes for Virginia, Latakia, Aromatic, Lakeland. I don't smoke English or Aromatic blends but will occasionally smoke Lakeland or blends with Deer Tongue. I have a couple pipes set aside for those occasions. Otherwise, all my pipes are dedicated to Virginia blends as that is what I regularly smoke.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Genre specific, meaning different pipes for Virginia, Latakia, Aromatic, Lakeland. I don't smoke English or Aromatic blends but will occasionally smoke Lakeland or blends with Deer Tongue. I have a couple pipes set aside for those occasions. Otherwise, all my pipes are dedicated to Virginia blends as that is what I regularly smoke.
Thank you for that info. Excited to try a bunch as I just got my pipes in

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Just enjoy yourself now and try a blend or two from each category in order to learn your preferences.

Aromatic
Burley
Virginia
Latakia
Perique
Lakeland
Virginia/Burley
Virginia/Perique
Oriental Balkin
English

You’ve got some happy work to do! But by taking this approach you will know what you like and don’t like.

As for dedicating a pipe to a blend? Well, that decision will come later and you’ll understand why. Certain Aromatics, Strongly Flavored blends can ghost. But, some smokers enjoy ghosting. Others do not and dedicate a pipe to blends. Others have a Virginia Pipe and an English Pipe and an Aromatic Pipe.. by genre.

BTW.... All of my pipes love Granger.

Since Burley is my “thing”. I don’t “need” to dedicate Pipes. It’s not necessary for me.

But, I do have two pipes, soon to be three dedicated to Granger only because it’s my favorite.

Confused yet.Hope this was helpful.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Just enjoy yourself now and try a blend or two from each category in order to learn your preferences.

Aromatic
Burley
Virginia
Latakia
Perique
Lakeland
Virginia/Burley
Virginia/Perique
Oriental Balkin
English

You’ve got some happy work to do! But by taking this approach you will know what you like and don’t like.

As for dedicating a pipe to a blend? Well, that decision will come later and you’ll understand why. Certain Aromatics, Strongly Flavored blends can ghost. But, some smokers enjoy ghosting. Others do not and dedicate a pipe to blends. Others have a Virginia Pipe and an English Pipe and an Aromatic Pipe.. by genre.

BTW.... All of my pipes love Granger.

Since Burley is my “thing”. I don’t “need” to dedicate Pipes. It’s not necessary for me.

But, I do have two pipes, soon to be three dedicated to Granger only because it’s my favorite.

Confused yet.Hope this was helpful.
Thank you for the list of genres. I’m for sure going to try a few from each until I find my favorites. I’m certain there will be a few. I appreciate the reply!

Reactions: Grangerous