Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I never leave home without my Czech tool. It may come in handy if I ever find myself in a situation like MacGyver.

The tamper:
Tap Morse Code to get out a message.
Use the flat part of the tamper, along with the sun, to signal a search plane.
Pack chewing gum in a hole to keep a dam from bursting...saving a village.
Use as a screwdriver.

The pick:
A weapon.
To pick a lock.
Poke a hole in the bad guys gas tank so they run out of gas.
A skewer to roast bugs over a fire.

The spoon:
Dig a tunnel.
Dig a hole to get fresh drinking water.
Like the tamper, signal a plane using the sun.
Dig a bullet out of a wound.
Bend the pick into a fish hook.

I'm sure there's other survival uses.
don't dig the bullet out. More likely to cause serious infection or injury then leaving it in.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I don't use the Czech tool other than to clean the pipe after the smoke. The Czech tool's tamper is not as good as the concave, edge-bevelled 8deco tampers.

The Czech tool can be used as a self-defense item, though, but I don't carry one.
Agree the Czech tamper is inferior to other tampers I have. Mine are Italian, forget the brand but all in the 35 dollar range. Aside from style points what these achieve over the Czech tool include a ported tamper with crisper corners that allow for an easier tuck on the edges of your ash. The dottle pick is thinner so it scrapes and cleans better than the shovel.

One thing I like about the Czech tool having a perfectly cylindrical reamer is that you can use it to open up the draw on a cigar if it’s rolled too tight . The dottle pick is bent.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Don’t go on the shaving forums.

i also wanted to add that I recently got this for $2 and some change and really like it. It is featherweigh.View attachment 131843
I have no interest in shaving forums. Seems as much fun as a how to take out the trash forum or how to make a bed. Shaving it's the thing I do because it's slightly less annoying then having a beard.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Never liked the Czech Pipe Tool. Prefer just a simple pipe nail. The only thing I use the Czech tool for is to bleed my Corona when it's time to bleed it prior to loading more fuel in.
Same here, too fiddly. I have all manner of tampers, pipe knifes, Rodgers tools. But the simple Brebia pipe nail works the best for me, and its not tragic to lose. I even polished one, but the luster didn't last on the cheap pot metal.

Here's the weirdest tamper I have, a Peterson P-lip stem. Used in public, it looks odd...and it is very heavy, so it just resides in m pipe cabinet.

Peterson_PIpe_Tamper_eBay.JPG

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Hell, I wouldn't be without the Czech tool. It's like when you are rebuilding a carburettor or fixing the A/C, and go the kitchen drawer because you need something that is short, thin, and curved and, ah there it is, the wife's favourite tool for decorating cakes. (Much screaming after said miscreant delivers said tool back to the kitchen in a rather dilapidated condition). Same with the Czech tool. It doubles for a lot of jobs. For three or so dollars. Brilliant value. I've got three of them.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I have no interest in shaving forums. Seems as much fun as a how to take out the trash forum or how to make a bed. Shaving it's the thing I do because it's slightly less annoying then having a beard.
I agree with you :)

But there are forums for almost everything. I guess that if we are allowed to obsess over burning leaves they can cut their face hairs with tiny knives?