PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
A Czech tool is my main pipe tool. I use a machine screw/washer/nut to basically make it a tamper/pick. I'll also use a "pipe nail" but less often. This allows me to follow some of the best pipe smoking advice I was ever given: Stir the dottle.
When I visit my neighbor - one of only 2 pipe smokers I know - I'll bring along a little butane lighter with pipe tools built in as we shoot the breeze while smoking a bowlful.
IMG_6469.jpeg

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Some tamper just tamp.
I've often employed a length of wood simply lopped off the pruned branch of a fruit tree as an emergency tamper.
I've also used my thumb, an empty .30WCF brass rifle casing, the bolstered end of a Schrade 31OT pocket knife and of course, the famous Czech.
They all work fine for tamping.
I've known guys who use a roofing nail, but that's an invite for getting a hole in your pocket

Reactions: Reggie and jpmcwjr

ekinnee

Lurker
Apr 22, 2022
I have several Czech tools and other pipe tools. I quickly moved on from the Czech tool but prefer simple for daily use. This is my go to.

View attachment 132681
I just ordered a Sheffield. I am wondering if it will move into the most used category. As time goes by I use my finger as much as I use a tamper. Gives a better sense of the right pressure to use.

This is my go to also, I would like to find one that has an actual blade though.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
This company used to make aluminum golf tees, and they’re perfect. Tamper and pick, durable, not flammable, light, easy to clean, concave tamper foot.

I don’t think they make them anymore, and it’s too bad. They’re probably better for pipes than golfing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just have to say I do like my 8deco tamper more than the c.tool. My favorite part is it's heavier and will tamper perfectly with a drop more then a push and it's harder to loss because it's easier to find in my pocket which makes it easier and quicker to realize I left it somewhere.

Reactions: TheWhale13