PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Hard to beat a Czech tool for all-around functionality and price. I've got a couple of nicer tampers (e.g., 8 Deco) but keep returning to the Czech tool, I never worry about losing it or leaving it in the weather. A long golf tee is a good alternative, and if you use a wooden one it's environmentally friendly when you lose it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Czech tool is great and as Mr. Embers points out great for snuff. I use a big old iron blade knife for cutting tobacco and cleaning out pipe clinker but everything else is the Czech pipe tool. I am sure Chuck Norris could figure out 30 ways to kill you with one of those pipe tools!

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I personally like the look of the 8 Deco tampers even though they don't do anything Czech tools don't do:

View attachment 131732

View attachment 131733
This is more or less what I had seen -- and I had always partly resisted because, as folks have said, the Czech tool is cheap and efficient, plus I didn't realize it came apart that way ... well, something else to help bump my online purchase into free shipping territory.

Thanks all for the helpful responses, and for the swerve to snuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For shear utility, a pipe nail is my standard tool. Between the tamper end and the scoop end, I can nearly always live without the pick. Because a pipe nail costs almost nothing, it seems impossible to lose. Put a gemstone on the shaft and it would be lost forever in an hour. The Czech tool is also a primo utility tool, although sometimes the parts get folded out in a clumsy way. I have one that dates back to my grandfather and is deeply oxidized, but only the finish; the metal and its utility are as good as ever. I have several Czech tools. But I admit, for the joy of using a pipe tool, some of the tools designed like a pen knife are intensely pleasing. I have a Brebbia and a Dr. Grabow, and they are so nice that I'm tempted by a Sheffield. And I have an elegant tamper or two, one with a swirled handle, another of willow. No number of pipe tools seems excessive. Then there is always a golf tee, whether you golf or not. I keep a wooden golf tee in the kitchen for when I'm caught without another tool. ...Excellent thread title. A+

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have no use for fancy tampers when my index finger works just fine.
I think you got it backwards. Your finger has more complex moving parts and would go for a lot more then a few bucks. You mean you don't abide by simple tampers when you got the fanciest one already. I hate to break it to you, but thems is the facts here.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
My experiences with helping a new pipe smoker are:
1. They don't tamp enough, and
2. They are hesitant to use their appendages.

I, too, use my index finger, but in the beginning, a fairly nice tamper encourages a newby to look at it and use it. Also, a nice one encourages very light tamping....both are good habits to get into.

I never carry any such tool when I travel, but I have an rec pocket knife with a flat butt that works well when my hands are gloved. I treasure my knives so I don't ever lose it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I never leave home without my Czech tool. It may come in handy if I ever find myself in a situation like MacGyver.

The tamper:
Tap Morse Code to get out a message.
Use the flat part of the tamper, along with the sun, to signal a search plane.
Pack chewing gum in a hole to keep a dam from bursting...saving a village.
Use as a screwdriver.

The pick:
A weapon.
To pick a lock.
Poke a hole in the bad guys gas tank so they run out of gas.
A skewer to roast bugs over a fire.

The spoon:
Dig a tunnel.
Dig a hole to get fresh drinking water.
Like the tamper, signal a plane using the sun.
Dig a bullet out of a wound.
Bend the pick into a fish hook.

I'm sure there's other survival uses.