PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
In terms of vocal interpretation, I consider these two versions superior to their respective original versions, or at least more engaging.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I think the Nonpoint cover of Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight is far superior to the original.

And pretty much anything Leo Moracchioli over at Frog Leap Studios does...

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
Feeling Alright has three (at least) covers and I think two are better than Traffic's version. Everyone knows Joe Cocker's version, but not a lot of people know this version by Three Dog Night, which in my opinion is the best.

Five pages of comments and only one mention of Joe Cocker? And that mention a song that wasn't his greatest cover.

His cover of "With a Little Help From My Friends" was so good that Paul McCartny said when Cocker died, "I was especially pleased when he decided to cover 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and (. . . ) it was just mind-blowing, totally turned the song into a soul anthem and I was forever grateful for him for doing that"

Cocker was such a s cover magician that the Beatles brought him in and gave him first choice of the songs on the Abbey Road album before it was released.

If I had to pick the best cover band EVER, it would have to be The Grateful Dead - the OG of cover bands.

• Love
Reactions: BingBong and AreBee

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
One most people aren't aware of (and again, big Bon Scott fan here) is AC/DC's Bad Boy Boogie, restructured and given a new, dark yet charming breath by Mark Kozelek.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Five pages of comments and only one mention of Joe Cocker? And that mention a song that wasn't his greatest cover.

His cover of "With a Little Help From My Friends" was so good that Paul McCartny said when Cocker died, "I was especially pleased when he decided to cover 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and (. . . ) it was just mind-blowing, totally turned the song into a soul anthem and I was forever grateful for him for doing that"

Cocker was such a s cover magician that the Beatles brought him in and gave him first choice of the songs on the Abbey Road album before it was released.
Agreed. One could argue that every song he covered, he made better than the original. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window is still my favorite.

Reactions: BingBong