PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I don’t know about kicking the original—I love all of these versions—the covers are fun reinventions that seem wholly original.

Here’s Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me” Original Studio Version:

Dwight Yoakum’s cover of “I Want You to Want Me”:

The Holmes Brothers cover of “I Want You to Want Me”:

I was fortunate enough to see the Holmes Brothers live several times and hang out with them. It’s sad that Popsy Dixon and Sherman Homes both died in 2015.
That last reminded me of Solomon Burke - here's one of his covers -

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' cover of the Willie Dixon composition Little Red Rooster simply blows away the original release recording (strangely, Mr. Dixon never recorded this) by Howlin' Wolf. Plus, Mr. Petty and company's version was recorded at the White House!

Reactions: ssjones

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon

I don’t skateboard myself but I am a fan of watching skating parts. The second half of this incredible part from Jerry Hsu has Sonic Youth’s rendition of ‘Superstar’ by the Carpenters.

Something about the masterful skating, the youth, the 4:3 aspect ratio of older camcorders, and the song itself make the skate part pretty moving.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders

I don’t skateboard myself but I am a fan of watching skating parts. The second half of this incredible part from Jerry Hsu has Sonic Youth’s rendition of ‘Superstar’ by the Carpenters.

Something about the masterful skating, the youth, the 4:3 aspect ratio of older camcorders, and the song itself make the skate part pretty moving.
Have you watched much of Rodney Mullen? The man is a skating genius.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' cover of the Willie Dixon composition Little Red Rooster simply blows away the original release recording (strangely, Mr. Dixon never recorded this) by Howlin' Wolf. Plus, Mr. Petty and company's version was recorded at the White House!

Willie Dixon was playing bass on Howling Wolf's recording, so technically...

Wolf's voice swings it for me though.