Corn Cobs

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cosmic. No way. Cobs are the best. Admit it.?
Ha ha!! No, I’m glad you like them. Cob guys are the most devoted to their pipe materials of choice. You go!!
I’m just drumming up some friendly debate.
The only time I get really pfffed is when people ask about an artisan pipe or high end pipes and people crowd those posts with corncob fanaticism. It’s like someone asking about really nice boots or Italian loafers and people demanding that flipflops are better in every way. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeh, yeh, yeh, everyone's all lining up to deep throat the corncobs. Sheeze, all these folks that just love the smell of a dirty cob adding it's nastiness to their tobacco flavors. Sure, sure, buy your pipe held together with Elmers glue. It kills me... if any of my pipes smoked with that wide opened, sucking wind draw, I'd crush it in a heartbeat.

That said, if you love 'em, smoke em. The more folks that go chasing these dime store toys, the less competition there is for real pipes. ;) puffy
Honestly I never liked M.M. cobs they have too open of a draw for my tastes. Though old Dominion doesn't have that issue.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Cobs are great, I like the open draw, low price, and ugly looks. They work better after they're thoroughly caked, charred, and seasoned. Smoking a stinky ol' turd of a cob right now.

That being said, if I'm wearing a suite I will be probably smoking a dark briar of a traditional shape.

View attachment 46570
Wearing a suit not a suite, dang autocorrect. I don't know what pipe I would be using if I was wearing a suite.

Reactions: edger

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wearing a suit not a suite, dang autocorrect. I don't know what pipe I would be using if I was wearing a suite.

ef8ab12249fe7e05e4c81706f09b42ce--wooden-pipe-pipe-smoking.jpg

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Ditto for dangers.cheap Italian basket pipes. Smoke like crap.

You can only speak as you find, of course, but my Dagner Ring of Fire poker smokes great. Did from the get-go. I’m aware of their provenance, we can debate their pricing, and I know the Dagners themselves have fans and detractors in equal measure. But the pipe? Lovely little thing.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm going to ask the dumbest question possible: are they (all) made out of actual corn cob? I've seen quite a few which just look too good/big/round to convince me they are out of corn. Similarly the rims look too good, I've cut and sanded cobs from the market and never got a smooth rim or exterior, is there further processing, adding of some resin or paste to the outside? I've also handled a few in shops which again make it hard for me to believe they're from corn, they're too heavy compared with corn cobs I've dried myself.

I've looked in farmers' markets here in Greece for the biggest corns I could find, let them dry after eating, but they just become tiny after drying - a good 20-30% shrinkage - nothing like the pipes I've seen posted. I've taken out the pith with a drill and more often than not there is not enough material for a convincing bowl, and the pith is not an even circle.

I read somewhere, maybe here, that eating corn is no good as it's been selected for kernels, that I need to look for wild/ornamental corn to get a nice thick cob out of it.

Sorry for the dumb questions.