PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I assume you also refuse to ride in or drive any newer car, since sitting a new vehicle for 5 mins in the sunshine would expose you to 1000000× more plastic product's volatile compounds and offgassing than a lifetime of sucking on a cob's plastic stem. How about new carpets? Carpets offgas high levels of VOCs for 5 years after installation.

That's like saying "what's the point of exercising at all if you have to sit in the office 8 hours a day anyway. May as well just sit at home too." Obviously it's impossible to avoid every plastic these days. But when I can help it, I try to avoid it.

You can do what you want, but I don't want to roll cheap warm plastic in my mouth for an hour at a time. I don't like the feel of them either.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
That's like saying "what's the point of exercising at all if you have to sit in the office 8 hours a day anyway. May as well just sit at home too." Obviously it's impossible to avoid every plastic these days. But when I can help it, I try to avoid it.

You can do what you want, but I don't want to roll cheap warm plastic in my mouth for an hour at a time. I don't like the feel of them either.
That's not really analogous at all.

You should look into how vulcanite is produced and what chemicals are involved before saying plastic stems are the unhealthy choice.

It's alright that you think plastic stems are too cheap for you, or you don't like the feel, you don't have to justify your opinion.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
It's alright that you think plastic stems are too cheap for you, or you don't like the feel, you don't have to justify your opinion.
@elnoblecigarro
No one needs to justify their hatred for corncobs. Just hate them. Be free, let the hate just flow through you and laugh, laugh... laugh. It's good! You'll feel so much better. I like to buy a cob every now and then, pack it light it up, and then just stomp that stupid piece of sh!t flat. Just stomp that stupid thing! It feels great.

Jeez, I posted a thread asking about cobbs yesterday and heard nothing but love. I didn’t realize there were haters, real hater haters out there. Dime store toys? That’s hysterical, LMOA. What make are those btw?
Actually, no one here really likes cobs. They are all just paying one big nasty joke on people. I may look cruel and unusual, but I am the only one being honest here... well... except chasingembers, but he's a lunatic.
See, these newbies go to the dime store and buy one of these cobs, and lights them up, and thinks... "oh, this must be how a great pipe smokes," as they're sucking air and rancid corn cob vapers. It's all a big joke. They are all cruel and heartless. puffy

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Actually, no one here really likes cobs. They are all just paying one big nasty joke on people. I may look cruel and unusual, but I am the only one being honest here... well... except chasingembers, but he's a lunatic.
See, these newbies go to the dime store and buy one of these cobs, and lights them up, and thinks... "oh, this must be how a great pipe smokes," as they're sucking air and rancid corn cob vapers. It's all a big joke. They are all cruel and heartless. puffy

Shit, lads, we've been rumbled.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Is Lucite the plastic stem being referred to? Or is that a fancy well to do pipe masters plastic? Is it actual cheap crap plastic in the Missouri Meerschaum’s? Or is that Lucite also. I guess I’m asking if there’s different plastics?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Is Lucite the plastic stem being referred to? Or is that a fancy well to do pipe masters plastic? Is it actual cheap crap plastic in the Missouri Meerschaum’s? Or is that Lucite also. I guess I’m asking if there’s different plastics?
Modern MM stems are made from propionate plastic AFAIK, which is hypoallergenic and is a common material for eyeglass frames, medicine and supplement containers, and some brands of disposable cups.

Edit: Yes, it's propionate.

Screenshot_20201013-133147_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I assume you also refuse to ride in or drive any newer car, since sitting a new vehicle for 5 mins in the sunshine would expose you to 1000000× more plastic product's volatile compounds and offgassing than a lifetime of sucking on a cob's plastic stem. How about new carpets? Carpets offgas high levels of VOCs for 5 years after installation.
My appreciation for my old clunker has just shot to a whole higher level!

Soft touch sux.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
@elnoblecigarro
No one needs to justify their hatred for corncobs. Just hate them. Be free, let the hate just flow through you and laugh, laugh... laugh. It's good! You'll feel so much better. I like to buy a cob every now and then, pack it light it up, and then just stomp that stupid piece of sh!t flat. Just stomp that stupid thing! It feels great.

Yeah right.

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Buy forever stems, chuck the stems that come with the pipe. Go to Vermont freehand, as the other site has been retired

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Yeh, yeh, yeh, everyone's all lining up to deep throat the corncobs. Sheeze, all these folks that just love the smell of a dirty cob adding it's nastiness to their tobacco flavors. Sure, sure, buy your pipe held together with Elmers glue. It kills me... if any of my pipes smoked with that wide opened, sucking wind draw, I'd crush it in a heartbeat.

That said, if you love 'em, smoke em. The more folks that go chasing these dime store toys, the less competition there is for real pipes. ;) puffy

3fjcke498vf11-1.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well everyone has pretty much said it, but let me throw in my 2 cents... LOL

If you need another pipe in the rotation, when the others are drying out, and you don't want to spend much, then these are great pipes, it is exactly why I have a Missouri Meershcum Corn Cob.

Plus these are great inexpensive pipes to test blends with too.

Reactions: edger
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had two or three Missouri meerschaums in the past ,while these pipes provided quite cool and smooth smoking experience,especially with Burley forward blends, there was two things I did find annoying with cobs ,particularly, the excessively open draw and overall rather clumsy and primitive design , one day I may decide on buying one of those notorious Falcon pipes instead of Corn Cob,they look better and they've got some British flair to them yet I suspect draw on Falcon pipes is less open and airy

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have had two or three Missouri meerschaums in the past ,while these pipes provided quite cool and smooth smoking experience,especially with Burley forward blends, there was two things I did find annoying with cobs ,particularly, the excessively open draw and overall rather clumsy and primitive design , one day I may decide on buying one of those notorious Falcon pipes instead of Corn Cob,they look better and they've got some British flair to them yet I suspect draw on Falcon pipes is less open and airy
You must get a Falcon! They smoke very well, and aren’t quite as open draw as cobs. They never need a rest or drying time, and the quality of the briar is excellent. A wipe with a tissue of the humidome, and a gentle scrape of the hole in the bottom of the bowl to keep the draw open is all the maintenance they need. Join the club, Paulie.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I love my cobs. They're cheap, they look great (sometimes), they smoke as well as a briar, and they're durable. ("Durable" doesn't apply to the crappy soft plastic stems used on many MM products.)
I know there's some anti-cob sentiment expressed above. Consider, though, that I have reason to believe that an outspoken cob hater on this very forum likes Jackson Pollock's splatter paintings.
?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I love my cobs. They're cheap, they look great (sometimes), they smoke as well as a briar, and they're durable. ("Durable" doesn't apply to the crappy soft plastic stems used on many MM products.)
I know there's some anti-cob sentiment expressed above. Consider, though, that I have reason to believe that an outspoken cob hater on this very forum likes Jackson Pollock's splatter paintings.
?
cobs are fine and not a subvariant on pipes just a different pipe type. Different qualities is all. And the reason you believe that is because some people lack the shame to hide such opinions in an open forum (kind like how if you go to a nudist place you realize that being comfortable in your own skin usually coincides with no one else being comfortable with it, if that all makes sense.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
cobs are fine and not a subvariant on pipes just a different pipe type. Different qualities is all. And the reason you believe that is because some people lack the shame to hide such opinions in an open forum (kind like how if you go to a nudist place you realize that being comfortable in your own skin usually coincides with no one else being comfortable with it, if that all makes sense.

I walked into one of those places in Key West one time. (shiver)

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob