PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy and appreciate my Savs. But they’re rarely the first pipe I reach for. As a simple smoking tool, the cob does the job (to coin a phrase).

PS: I feel the same way about used pipes.
Yeah, cobs have their uses. I have a number of them but they're not my favourites. I find them bumpkinish (which is why I never smoke them when wearing a suit); and they're also a pain to clean:

Gunky_cob.jpg

That's the Morgan cob after several passes of the paper towel. With briars, the towel will come out white after 2-3 vigorous swabs, but with cobs the gunk is never ending: you evntually have to stop wiping, but if you wipe just one more time, you'll still get gunk on the paper towel. Frustrating. ?

They're not tough as nails either; unless you mean aluminium nails. That same Morgan eventually developed a crack along the shank. Beats me why: I don't abuse my cobs: I fondle them and clean them and preserve them just as any briar or Meerschaum.

Cobs are semi-disposable pipes: which is why I'm not getting bent out of shape over that Morgan breaking. it was never meant to last long.

Reactions: Seamaster

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, cobs have their uses. I have a number of them but they're not my favourites. I find them bumpkinish (which is why I never smoke them when wearing a suit); and they're also a pain to clean:

View attachment 46505

That's the Morgan cob after several passes of the paper towel. With briars, the towel will come out white after 2-3 vigorous swabs, but with cobs the gunk is never ending: you evntually have to stop wiping, but if you wipe just one more time, you'll still get gunk on the paper towel. Frustrating. ?

They're not tough as nails either; unless you mean aluminium nails. That same Morgan eventually developed a crack along the shank. Beats me why: I don't abuse my cobs: I fondle them and clean them and preserve them just as any briar or Meerschaum.

Cobs are semi-disposable pipes: which is why I'm not getting bent out of shape over that Morgan breaking. it was never meant to last long.

Dude, I don't think you're supposed to even try to get all the gunk out every time. It's an essential aspect of the overall experience.

And you shouldn't be soaking your cobs in gin either.

• Wow
Reactions: olkofri and edger

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I’ve always been a fan. They’re my go-to for smoking aromatics. Like Hoosier said: blends that might ghost a briar. But I also have a few Foreverstemmed versions that I enjoy with good burley blends. Primarily though, they’re perfect for outdoor smoking whether at the lake, the deer camp, or what have you. I certainly wouldn’t put them on a pedestal. Nor would I deride them.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
If you ever get a little funk in your cob, fill the chamber with fresh ground coffee after general cleaning. Leave it overnight, fresh as can be in the morning. Not even a faint ghost.

Reactions: Seamaster

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I bought a couple bags of their “seconds” a few years ago when I visited their factory. Was nice to be able to hand pick the bags. Ended up with 3 dagners and a few other nice ones.

Naturally I only ended up smoking about 5 of them in my rotation...guess I have some cobs aging. I usually give one of these new “seconds” away with my secret Santa boxes.

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Here’s how you clean a cob. Smoke it. Repeatedly. Let it be a Missouri MEERSHAUM. enjoy the way it turns from fresh winter legs in shorts to a beautiful patina. Scrape off a bit of cake once a month and take a SMALL amount of honey and wipe it around your bowl, pack it and smoke it......repeatedly. No better pipe. And cobs don’t need coffee. Never ever.

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky

View attachment 46505

That’s because Morgan pipes are crap.

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Hmmm. No. Sorry but that’s beginner advice. After 14 years I shudder at the thought of putting salt an alcohol or coffee grounds in my baby. Come on guys.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Hmmm. No. Sorry but that’s beginner advice. After 14 years I shudder at the thought of putting salt an alcohol or coffee grounds in my baby. Come on guys.
Not wet grounds. Not as for say trying to "clean" a briar estate pipe of ghost. No cleaning involved, except your normal method of cleaning. Simple put fresh dry ground coffee in the chamber, let it sit over night, dump the next day. The dry coffee will absorb any moisture in the bowl or sour taste. Not really a cleaning method, my bad should have been more clear.

Reactions: anotherbob

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeh, yeh, yeh, everyone's all lining up to deep throat the corncobs. Sheeze, all these folks that just love the smell of a dirty cob adding it's nastiness to their tobacco flavors. Sure, sure, buy your pipe held together with Elmers glue. It kills me... if any of my pipes smoked with that wide opened, sucking wind draw, I'd crush it in a heartbeat.

That said, if you love 'em, smoke em. The more folks that go chasing these dime store toys, the less competition there is for real pipes. ;) puffy

Oooo fancy boy!