Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
See I would say patriotism sounds great in speeches, and it might've been a great motivator in the 1920s and 1940s, but in 2020 it's just the modern evolution of tribal thinking kept alive by propaganda. That same tribal us vs. them thinking keeps us trapped in a Red Vs. Blue mentality where both sides are being robbed of their worth as human beings by the true rulers of the world, oligopolies headed by international peoples who own entire islands and control the GDP of countries. How many Millionaire and Billionaire leaders do we really need in a world where 3/4 of a Billion people don't have access to clean water or regular meals?

If I go to the local grocery store instead of online to buy a chocolate bar what does that matter to the child slaves who picked the cocoa beans? The consumer is NOT to blame in that equation. It is the fault of the country in which the child slavers are allowed to continue their practices, the local and foreign governments that turn a blind eye to those practices, and the corporations who pay all of the aforementioned to do so solely because it's cheaper than paying a living wage elsewhere.

As automation becomes more prevalent is anyone still under the illusion that the technological progress of humanity will be shared by all? Jobs in the American auto industry have been falling since the 2000s, and while many would say that's because of outsourcing, in truth roughly 4 out of every 5 jobs lost in that sector was due to robotics. If you buy a Ford, are you really buying "American Made"? According to Investopedia, a source for making detailed investments into supply chains......

"Ford's main parts suppliers, along with the parts they supply, are as follows:
  • Flex-N-Gate Seeburn, Ontario, Canada: door hinges and arms.
  • NHK Spring, Shiga-ken, Japan: suspension stabilizer linkages.
  • U-Shin Europe, Komárom-Esztergom, Hungary: steering columns.
  • Valeo Electric and Electronic Systems, Czechowice-Dziedzice, Poland: starter assemblies.
  • Webasto Roof & Components, Schierling, Germany: sliding sunroofs.
  • Summit Plastics, Nanjing, China: instrument panel components.Dee Zee, Des Moines, Iowa: running boards.
  • Warn Industries, Milwaukie, Oregon: axle assemblies.
  • Chaidneme, Carabobo, Venezuela: mufflers and exhaust systems.
  • Autoliv, Valencia, Spain: airbags, EcoBoost Engines

Other major parts suppliers for Ford include Comstar Automotive Technologies, FCC Adams, Flextronics Automotive, LG Chem and Mahle Engine Components."

According to American University the Honda Ridgeline has more US/Canadian made parts than the Ford F150.

It would seem to me the marketing promotion of "American Made" and "buy local" sentiments are there so the board members of those companies can keep shipping parts production overseas and replacing American workers with robots without upsetting their US customer base. It also seems like it's been working great for them over the past decades since CEO compensation is up 940% over 30 years while average worker pay has risen 12%!
I'd happily pay $4000 for a cellphone if I knew there wasn't a 7 year old kid mining lithium and cobalt at the end of the production chain. In a just world a $4000 cellphone pays for everybody to have a decent life along the production line, not 10 people at the top of that food chain taking $3900 and giving $100 to the 100 factory workers who assembled it. I couldn't give less of a shit about if the person making the products I buy lives in the same country as me or looks the same color as me, as long as I knew they had enough to live a decent life, that's what needs to matter to everyone in the world in order for humanity to progress as a whole. That would mean that the world was a better place and we could all easily afford $4000 cellphones.

But is someone ever going to actually step in with worldwide regulations and say "You can't make $10,000 for every $0.50 you pay your lowest earning workers, that's stupid and only leads to more suffering in the long run." even though it's a fairly obvious conclusion?? It's like people have never heard of the French Revolution and what inevitably happens when you have insanely wealthy people living extravagant lifestyles at the expense of their workers. Only difference is, now the insanely wealthy people have excellent PR, Lobbyist, and Marketing teams to shift the blame away from themselves and onto easily identifiable/more everyday conflicts like middle class vs. lower class or black vs. white or red vs. blue.
Interesting points, but I think the OP wants to be able to report on this thread once the pipe is in his possession and he can't do that with it locked, which will probably happen if we expand on the above, so I'll refrain from commenting further past my parting shot.

Parting shot: the core issue is greed/avarice; and greed/avarice, deadly vices, are universal: they boil just as furiously in the heart of the filthy rich oligarch exploiting scores of workers as they do in the chest of the small time shopper driving his V8 truck from one end of the city to the other trying to save 10 cents on an item.

You know guys, using a thing ordered off of the cheapest website distributer in Asia, that we all know is going to be a piece of shit, and trying to mash it out as if this represents all Chinese goods, is like saying that the crappy off brand tea sold in gallon jugs at Dollar General stores is indicative of what all Americans think is tea. I think we all know this pipe is not going to rival a real pipe by a real pipemaker. So to wager one way or another on what we all know is going to be a pipe that would be sold at a gas station that also sells $2 folding knives and $2 Apple phone accessories.

But, China also makes Craftsman products, Levis, Armani, Prada, just about anything you plug into the wall... your TVs, computers, hell those Apple Products everyone is so crazy about... Just because it is from China means didlly squat. The fact that we knew from the picture that it is going to be a cheap piece of crap is the key.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
But, China also makes Craftsman products, Levis, Armani, Prada, just about anything you plug into the wall... your TVs, computers, hell those Apple Products everyone is so crazy about... Just because it is from China means didlly squat.

Exactly.

I have an artisan blow-fish pipe made by a Chinese carver and the quality is as high as any other "artisan" pipe I've had.

That is including carvers like Eltang, who is easily regarded as a master. If someone can approach that kind of quality, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job.

If you want to test Chinese products, go test a range of them. You can get shitty pipes (or anything) from any country. Hell, in America, they even make them out of fucking corncobs! You can't make that up...

s-l1600-jpg.8258

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Anything that isnt made in China is made by prison labor. I thought it was crazy too.. but it's true. The Made In America stuff..
I swear sometimes things get away with being horrible because instead of sounding real they sound like something a crazy person would say. Like how much is made with prison labor. That sounds like something a paranoid person would say. Yet it's true. It's why one of my favorite statements on such things is, "I don't really know".

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This right here. In my other hobbies as well as in my profession, Chinese-made goods have gotten better and better over the past 20 years. While there is still plenty of throw-away junk being made there (driven in large part by our expectation as Americans to pay next to nothing for many items as well as our tendency to trash things as soon as a new bright shiny model comes out), there are, for instance, Chinese-made pianos that rival and exceed their Japanese and Korean counterparts at a fraction of the cost, and Chinese-made telescopes and associated components that rival German and American products. I

Overall, China manufactures A LOT of the world's goods, both cheap and expensive, and similarly, their manufacturing quality runs the gamut. Given a greater length of time to improve institutional memory and manufacturing processes, I fully expect that Chinese-made goods will be seen as a standard of quality at some point in the next 40 years.
yeah it's amazing how variable the quality of products can be. The neat things about well enforced regulations is they create a bottom line. China is just too big to really regulate all the products they make. Which is why from what I understand the question people in China have about products is often where in China they are made. Cause some places actually are going to get inspected and fined and not others (or at least that's what I've been told about food). It's weird but in the Victorian era food adulterations where common and led to people certifying what goes into food (gypsum is not a bread ingredient or at least shouldn't be), and in parts of China people are currently using the same tricks. And notice if they got that straightened out people wouldn't be worried about buying a pipe from China. So I guess it sucks the most for the people that do things the right way but get lumped into the same group as every fly by night operation that can get away with b.s..

Reactions: mingc
I would sanitize it well when you get it, no telling what the Chinese could be trying to pass on, maybe a good case of the Coronavirus!!
But yet, millions of American mask up and stand in line at WalMart? With buggies full of Chinese stuff? I don't get it. Why think less of Chinese made stuff, and then turn around and fill your house with Chinese stuff? Why, I'll bet ya good money everything you've bought in the last 15 years has been made in China. But, yet you don't trust the concept of things made in china? Everything from your blue jeans to your underwear, to the meats sold in fast food restaurants to high end tools from Home Depot... all Chinese!

This one crappy pipe made to be sold in a backwoods gas station right between skull shaped bongs, throwing stars, and numchucks to crackheads looking for a cheap pipe for their meth, carries the entire weight of our attention, representing the ENTIRETY of all Chinese made goods.

Did you get your Levis tested for lead? Did you get your undies tested for lead, asbestos, atomic sludge, before you nestled your family jewels into them? No, you just put them on. puffy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
But yet, millions of American mask up and stand in line at WalMart? With buggies full of Chinese stuff? I don't get it. Why think less of Chinese made stuff, and then turn around and fill your house with Chinese stuff? Why, I'll bet ya good money everything you've bought in the last 15 years has been made in China. But, yet you don't trust the concept of things made in china? Everything from your blue jeans to your underwear, to the meats sold in fast food restaurants to high end tools from Home Depot... all Chinese!

This one crappy pipe made to be sold in a backwoods gas station right between skull shaped bongs, throwing stars, and numchucks to crackheads looking for a cheap pipe for their meth, carries the entire weight of our attention, representing the ENTIRETY of all Chinese made goods.

Did you get your Levis tested for lead? Did you get your undies tested for lead, asbestos, atomic sludge, before you nestled your family jewels into them? No, you just put them on. puffy
Pretty much on the money. If it's not made in China, then it's made in Korea, Mexico, Japan (and most "Made in Japan" items have components made in China) or Canada. About the only things made in America these days are most of the canned groceries you buy - and bourbon.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Had a Sony MP3 player with replaceable battery. My kid took it. I said "you like the replaceable battery?" He said "no, but it already has all your CDs on it." My new one doesn't have replaceable battery and it bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.