PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In the interest of scientific research and development, I have taken one for the forum. I've spent hard earned money on a pipe from AliExpress, the chinese version of ebay, just to see how bad or good the pipe is.

My initial impression from the site was that it is not suited to mobile use, but despite that I selected this pipe:

Screenshot_20201022-165255.jpgScreenshot_20201022-165328.jpg

You read that right- a HANDMADE pipe for $3!

In the description it said it would be sent with a Czech tool and some pipe cleaners. We will see.

With shipping, the pipe came to around $8USD. It is expected to get here within a month.

So the pressing questions;

Will it be an awful pipe? Probably.
Will it be handmade? Probably not.
Will it withstand the stress tests I have in mind for it? I'm looking forward to seeing.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It looks at tho it has a metal bowl insert

there was an option for the pipe's finish, and I chose the lighter 'stain'. For some reason, this option had a metal ring around the rim whereas a darker stain didn't. Also the title says 'Tobacco Smoking Pipe' right? ;)

This should be interesting

I hope so, I've often wondered just how these cheap pipes were.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
In the interest of scientific research and development, I have taken one for the forum. I've spent hard earned money on a pipe from AliExpress, the chinese version of ebay, just to see how bad or good the pipe is.

My initial impression from the site was that it is not suited to mobile use, but despite that I selected this pipe:

View attachment 48032View attachment 48033

You read that right- a HANDMADE pipe for $3!

In the description it said it would be sent with a Czech tool and some pipe cleaners. We will see.

With shipping, the pipe came to around $8USD. It is expected to get here within a month.

So the pressing questions;

Will it be an awful pipe? Probably.
Will it be handmade? Probably not.
Will it withstand the stress tests I have in mind for it? I'm looking forward to seeing.

I salute you, sir, for jumping on that potential grenade for the good of the cause.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
My only order from AliExpress a couple of years ago -- a silver tamper -- went smoothly without a hitch.
HTB1syAXlxSYBuNjSsphq6zGvVXas.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
This can only end well.

Anyone ever figure out what that was about? Or are we the last non-pod people?
Brushing scam. They send empty boxes or boxes with cheap lightweight items to addresses, so they can show proof that a package was shipped to a “buyer,” and then write fake, glowing reviews of their actual product(s) that the package recipient “bought.” It’s a scam to make fake reviews look legit to anyone investigating the paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.