PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've been in flea markets where you could buy the same Made in China pipes for about $10 and not have to wait three weeks for shipping.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have a very similar Durable Wood Pipe that was included with a bunch of otherwise great stuff, including a grade 7 W.Ø. Larsen Straight Grain. The pipe was heavily laquered and had a heavy bowl coating. I smoked it for maybe five minutes several years ago. Very poor draw. Very heavy for its mass. Weird flavor in the smoke. Too crummy to smoke and too cheap to resell, so I tossed it in the trash.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've been in flea markets where you could buy the same Made in China pipes for about $10 and not have to wait three weeks for shipping.

That would make for a boring thread though!

Very poor draw. Very heavy for its mass. Weird flavor in the smoke. Too crummy to smoke and too cheap to resell, so I tossed it in the trash.

Sounds like how I expect this one to be. Let me be clear- I'm not expecting a great pipe here folks.

Reactions: Reggie

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I have ordered many things from aliexpress. Some stuff is really well made and some you have to ask the questions "Why?".

It may take a while to get to you.

I order my rubber pipe bits from there. 50 for like $7

Reactions: anotherbob

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
I have ordered many things from aliexpress. Some stuff is really well made and some you have to ask the questions "Why?".

It may take a while to get to you.

I order my rubber pipe bits from there. 50 for like $7

Do they smell like rubber tires from Harbor Freight? That weird chinese rubber funk never goes away. I have a rubber sanding block that was made in PRC and after 10+ years of ownership it still offgasses.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The issue isn't that all Chinese made stuff is junk, it just seems that way. This tablet I'm using right now was made in China, as most other consumer goods. The thing is there is so much cheap stuff that is made in China that the reputation for Chinese made goods suffers. Generally consumers demand the lowest price, so the cheaply made thing is what people associate with Made in China.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It was the same way with Japanese made goods. 70 years ago it was equated with crap. Now, generally top drawer.
Guess we still need to wait another 40 years for the sinojunk to stop being so then.

Then again, for as long as people keep buying junk like pancakes they won't see any reason to up their game. If they buy it broke why fix it?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Guess we still need to wait another 40 years for the sinojunk to stop being so then.

Then again, for as long as people keep buying junk like pancakes they won't see any reason to up their game. If they buy it broke why fix it?
They also make Gucci level junk, like the Iphone, Ipad, etc. All made to be thrown away after 2, 3 years.

Reactions: anotherbob

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Chinese pipes are known to favor the daily drill of a dishwasher. It's their claim to legitimacy.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The issue isn't that all Chinese made stuff is junk, it just seems that way. This tablet I'm using right now was made in China, as most other consumer goods. The thing is there is so much cheap stuff that is made in China that the reputation for Chinese made goods suffers. Generally consumers demand the lowest price, so the cheaply made thing is what people associate with Made in China.
I realize I'm opening a TANK of worms, but I have a Hawk 981R Chinese shotgun that appears to be, by many reviews, better than the Remington 870 it is a direct copy of. Go figure. Here comes the deluge!

Status
Not open for further replies.