PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Where did you grab it from, Tinbids? $200 is an odd price for the 2003. Pipestud would be at around $120 and 4noggins would be $325 or something crazy.

I love mclclellands va. I’ve spent some good money on them and never disappointed. Find a tin of the Mccranie 1983 if you can, for me it was worth the hype and the $$.
Got from Wilke Tobacco. Their last tin. 4noggins prices are crazy and they don’t even answer the phone or email. Pipestud only had an Anniversary which I might get.

Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Where did you grab it from, Tinbids? $200 is an odd price for the 2003. Pipestud would be at around $120 and 4noggins would be $325 or something crazy.

I love mclclellands va. I’ve spent some good money on them and never disappointed. Find a tin of the Mccranie 1983 if you can, for me it was worth the hype and the $$.
Tinbids prices also crazy and mostly lots rather than single tins.

Reactions: BriarsAndBottles
Jun 9, 2018
England
Mcclelland was never available over here in the UK but I managed to import some, not CC though. I ended up buying 3 tins from a UK forum member. I got a tin of 2014 for £60 which I was more than happy with. I also snagged a tin each of 1997 and 1999 for £80 each but I haven't opened them yet. I'm sure I'll be happy with what I paid for them once I open them.

$200 sounds a lot for a tin, but as you said it doesn't work out too bad a price per bowl.

I don't think you'll regret your purchase. Enjoy!

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Got from Wilke Tobacco. Their last tin. 4noggins prices are crazy and they don’t even answer the phone or email. Pipestud only had an Anniversary which I might get.
As others have said you gotta be quick with pipestud, but Steve’s prices are fair and his customer service is wonderful. He has CC’s quite often.

Glad to know I’m not the only one whose never got a hold of anyone from 4nogs

Reactions: jpmcwjr

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
4noggins prices are crazy
They are damn high yeah, but they seem to have, or keep (due to high prices) stuff others don't. I am debating with myself for a long while whether to pull the trigger on StJames Woods and Dark Star... In any way one sees it, it's (around $600) an insane cost for 2 tins of tobacco.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
What kind of pipe is good enough for tobacco that is so expensive?
MM corn cob?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
About half the comments here at that time were: “Smells/Tastes like tomato ketchup/vinegar… I’d never smoke that crap”
True, mostly because the complainers were clueless about how to deal with that, an effect of the acids used in processing that would largely air off by opening the tin and let it air out.

The few McClelland products that got regular praise here were the Frogs, Dark Star, and the Cheers. The moaning and rending of sack cloth didn't really get going until word got around that McClelland was closing. That was accompanied by a rush of speculators to buy up every tin they could find.

Nobody loves and appreciates you until you are gone.

McClelland had a house style, in the tradition of British manufacturers, which was the model they referred to when developing their brand, aging their blends for years before releasing them, so that they could be enjoyed at their peak. Outside of the UK, who's doing that now?

You either liked what they did or you didn't. Personally, I liked their Virginias, particularly their matured red Virginias. I didn't like the Frogs, and most of their orientals. They had a lot of snoozers and a lot of winners.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Not to piss all over this conversation, but aren't posts to threads offering something for sale strictly limited to clarifying questions relevant to the item being offered?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They are damn high yeah, but they seem to have, or keep (due to high prices) stuff others don't. I am debating with myself for a long while whether to pull the trigger on StJames Woods and Dark Star... In any way one sees it, it's (around $600) an insane cost for 2 tins of tobacco.
If you can find the Butera version of Dark Star, one of the Royal Vintages, get that instead. It's a better version with a little more going on.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Why I bought 35 tins of it.
LOL! I've got one tin 🥳. I imported it and it cost me £34. I thought that was a lot of money when I bought it but I'd give my left arm to get some at that price now.

I purchased a few tins of 14 year old 1776 from a forum member and i'm looking forward to trying that. It's supposed to be pretty tasty.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
If you can find the Butera version of Dark Star, one of the Royal Vintages, get that instead. It's a better version with a little more going on.
Cheers, truth is I am not really looking. While I am periodically looking for pipe bargains, it seems that there are far fewer (none?) tobacco bargains to be found on the internet given tobaccos are only traded in specific sites like 4noggins and the like, so anyone who's looking knows the market already.