PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
The problem regarding regulation it seems is that all smoking got lumped together, whereas pipe smoking is surely the most refined and economical experience I believe. It is also I believe the least offensive. We live in an age where everyone wants to live forever. I’ll take a few less years and die happily with a nice bowl of tobacco and either Bach or Beethoven blasting. Especially the way the world is currently looking.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
There are countless blends gone and even more being created…you’ll never suffer for lack of good 🍂…at least not for a while anyway. I no longer chase the 🦄s or unobtainables …so much good 🍂 available for all. 👍☕
Yeah I totally get that. I spent a long time chasing Germains blends. Rich Dark Flake in particular, which is the most unicorn of all the unobtainables (here at least). Now, it is a fantastic blend, but through experience, and trial and error, I have learnt it is just one amongst a good many. Now that blend wouldn't even make my top five.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Yeah I totally get that. I spent a long time chasing Germains blends. Rich Dark Flake in particular, which is the most unicorn of all the unobtainables (here at least). Now, it is a fantastic blend, but through experience, and trial and error, I have learnt it is just one amongst a good many. Now that blend wouldn't even make my top five.
Years ago I was able to get couple bags Penzance and Stonehaven. I ended up giving them away after trying them.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I hear ya…however I’m very partial to RDF….damn the Asian market. 😠☕

Reactions: Chasing Embers

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
All I can say is pop the tin, put the plastic lid back on and let it sit a good 2 weeks, otherwise I find mcClelland Virginia to be very flat and underwhelming until that magic happens as a result of oxygen being introduced. Their English blends were good to smoke right out of the tin but their flakes need a bit of rest after the tin pops

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I know. It's a real ball ache. You'd imagine that at some point this stuff will be freely available though. Either the Asian market moves on to something else. or Germains get their shit together and scale the feck up.
Wishful…but I don’t think JF Germain’s cares who or where their blends go to. 💁‍♂️☕

flyerdog

Lurker
Dec 12, 2013
I think with some patience you could have purchased it at a lower rate. However, I don't think you foolish for buying it. I was a McClelland fan before they closed and remain one. I'm thankful I was able to purchase a fair amount prior to them closing. I regret not buying 5 times the amount I did but not too much. I have enough to smoke a tin every quarter for the remainder of my life I think. I wish I'd purchased enough to smoke a bowl every day. Regardless, enjoy your 2003 Christmas Cheer, I think you will find it marvelous and have zero regrets over your purchase.
Well said. I still have two tins left from early in 2000’s. Kick myself for not buying More. Can’t say $200 is too much though cuz I wouldn’t sell mine for that. 😊

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just pulled the trigger on a 100g tin of Christmas Cheer 2003 for 200 clams. I just couldn’t resist. I need to see what McClelland VAs we’re all about. The funny thing is that years ago when I started my pipe journey, I was too green to understand the beauty of VAs. I even bought some McClelland VAs and due to not understanding how to smoke, I never even finished them and probably discarded unfinished tins. Well, fast forward 10 years and I’m paying crazy amount to see what I was missing. The fact is, if I get about 30 bowls out of a 100g tin, that’s about $7 a smoke. That’s not bad compared to cigars. I’ll post my reaction. Just curious how many people consider my move foolish. Not that it matters. I had to try it to quench my curiousity.

I’m not sure whether I’m hoping to be blown away or disappointed. Neither option is ideal. Lol !
Not foolish if it satisfies an itch. People have spent a good deal more to satisfy their curiosity. Way I see it, if you're satisfied with the result, it's worth the expense.

I liked the Christmas Cheers and still have some tins in the bins, along with a few other McC Virginias.

What’s the deal with those red and orange VAs that somebody grew for McClellands ? Are they just not growing them anymore ? And why didn’t McClellands sell somebody their secret recipes for processing ?

Finally, where do I post if I’m looking for vintage tins ? Is there special section of the forum ?
McClelland looked for leaf from certain parts of the plant, hand picked when ripe, in the traditional manner. When federal subsidies to tobacco farmers went away, a lot of growers looked to more profitable, less labor intensive crops. Like other quality manufacturers, McClelland had their own stockpiles and it was becoming more difficult to find replacements that they thought would give them the results that they wanted. Mike McNeil's health had suffered from the heavy labor involved in their processing methods.
Also, their tobaccos went through a lot of processing to get their unique house flavor, and a lot of that was Mike McNeil watching the gauges, heat and pressure, and controlling that process. A recipe would not have been able to share that instinctive knowledge.
Lastly, they weren't going to whore out their baby. It's pretty rare that a subsequent manufacturer turns out s superior product. They had a great 40 year run.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
$200 doesn't seem crazy to me. As you say it is less per bowl than a good cigar. I'm out of all my McClelland stash as I never cellared it that heavily. I was mostly smoking English blends when that would have been relevant.
Same here !

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Ex
Not foolish if it satisfies an itch. People have spent a good deal more to satisfy their curiosity. Way I see it, if you're satisfied with the result, it's worth the expense.

I liked the Christmas Cheers and still have some tins in the bins, along with a few other McC Virginias.

McClelland looked for leaf from certain parts of the plant, hand picked when ripe, in the traditional manner. When federal subsidies to tobacco farmers went away, a lot of growers looked to more profitable, less labor intensive crops. Like other quality manufacturers, McClelland had their own stockpiles and it was becoming more difficult to find replacements that they thought would give them the results that they wanted. Mike McNeil's health had suffered from the heavy labor involved in their processing methods.
Also, their tobaccos went through a lot of processing to get their unique house flavor, and a lot of that was Mike McNeil watching the gauges, heat and pressure, and controlling that process. A recipe would not have been able to share that instinctive knowledge.
Lastly, they weren't going to whore out their baby. It's pretty rare that a subsequent manufacturer turns out s superior product. They had a great 40 year run.
Excellent info. Thanks !

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I just pulled the trigger on a 100g tin of Christmas Cheer 2003 for 200 clams. I just couldn’t resist. I need to see what McClelland VAs we’re all about. The funny thing is that years ago when I started my pipe journey, I was too green to understand the beauty of VAs. I even bought some McClelland VAs and due to not understanding how to smoke, I never even finished them and probably discarded unfinished tins. Well, fast forward 10 years and I’m paying crazy amount to see what I was missing. The fact is, if I get about 30 bowls out of a 100g tin, that’s about $7 a smoke. That’s not bad compared to cigars. I’ll post my reaction. Just curious how many people consider my move foolish. Not that it matters. I had to try it to quench my curiousity.

I’m not sure whether I’m hoping to be blown away or disappointed. Neither option is ideal. Lol !
Where did you grab it from, Tinbids? $200 is an odd price for the 2003. Pipestud would be at around $120 and 4noggins would be $325 or something crazy.

I love mclclellands va. I’ve spent some good money on them and never disappointed. Find a tin of the Mccranie 1983 if you can, for me it was worth the hype and the $$.