Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I always feel like I missed out on Christmas Cheer. At the time I was mostly an English smoker and had never really experienced the great pleasure of Virginias and vapers. I regret my arriving too late at the realization. Now, I rarely, very rarely like 3-4 times a year, smoke blends with Latakia and smoke Virginias and vapers every day. I have a couple of unopened 100gram tins of Frog Morton's cellar but wish a Genie could magically make the red CC label appear. Such is life...
I’m sure there are those that’d trade tin for tin either here or elsewhere. 👍☕

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
It never fails to amaze me how they acquired so much more acclaim after they closed their doors.
I think it’s a matter of when they closed doors and whether it coincided with one’s pipe journey regarding appreciating Virginias over English. I notice that many people go through the stages of :

Aromatic>Balkan>English>Vapers>VAs.

That’s what happened with me. It just so happened I “matured” into mature VAs AFTER McClelland closed. Otherwise I do believe I would have bought their stuff once I understood Virginias. I certainly would NOT have stockpiled it unless I really loved it and knew they were closing. I’m STILL not sure I will love it, but I wanted to try. Plus, I find that my taste buds are searching for a deeper version of what I am enjoying in the VAs that are STILL around. It’s funny because my very first pipe purchase was a corn cob and Frog Morton Original. It was the perfect intro. I moved away from the Frog due to toppings, but I have to say regarding a topped tobacco the Frogs were unique. Kind of crossover blends. The fact is that I recall purchasing one tin of (I believe) McClellands Blackwoods as a beginner but I had no idea how to smoke back then and I just scorched my tongue.

Reactions: Leomania

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
It never fails to amaze me how they acquired so much more acclaim after they closed their doors.
I do however recall McClellands always having a very good reputation. I think I started smoking pipe around 2014. Not positive date. In fact, when I started, McClelland tobaccos were all that I bought due to their reputation.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Everything is relative and there is no doubt that there are terrific pleasures to be had in what is currently available. It does however show how certain historical circumstances can lead to good things disappearing. I live in a major city and when people see me smoking a pipe they are amazed. Usually it’s an old woman telling me “my father used to smoke a pipe.” It’s quite amusing. I can barely name the times I’ve ever seen another person smoking a pipe. So it’s crazy how it has disappeared. There’s not a single brick and mortar pipe/tobacco shop left in my city. It’s like looking at a photo of a crowd from the 1940s and every single man is wearing a fedora.

Reactions: Leomania

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think it’s a matter of when they closed doors and whether it coincided with one’s pipe journey regarding appreciating Virginias over English
Enlighten me. McC wasn't a unicorn when it was alive and kicking?

I do however recall McClellands always having a very good reputation
Though they had their fans, myself included, their Virginias were regularly ridiculed for tasting like ketchup. Released in summer prior to Christmas, the Christmas Cheer blends were still heavily stocked enough at retailers the following year to load up on them during the IPSD sales.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Nice write up by Chuck Stanion on Smokingpipes website in 2018 explaining. 👍☕
I'll have a read of that, this CC is an interesting bacci given the popularity it now enjoys post death. The only time I have witnessed anything like this in real time, is the recent discontinuation of the HU line. Thankfully, I was able to stock up on my favs.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I'll have a read of that, this CC is an interesting bacci given the popularity it now enjoys post death. The only time I have witnessed anything like this in real time, is the recent discontinuation of the HU line. Thankfully, I was able to stock up on my favs.
There are countless blends gone and even more being created…you’ll never suffer for lack of good 🍂…at least not for a while anyway. I no longer chase the 🦄s or unobtainables …so much good 🍂 available for all. 👍☕

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Maybe we’ll get a tobacco revival like with vinyl records. I used to (early 90s) purchase mint vinyl jazz/rock/country for like $5-10 a piece. Now rich kids are paying $50 to $200 a record. Some aren’t even listening to them; just collecting.