Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I just pulled the trigger on a 100g tin of Christmas Cheer 2003 for 200 clams. I just couldn’t resist. I need to see what McClelland VAs we’re all about. The funny thing is that years ago when I started my pipe journey, I was too green to understand the beauty of VAs. I even bought some McClelland VAs and due to not understanding how to smoke, I never even finished them and probably discarded unfinished tins. Well, fast forward 10 years and I’m paying crazy amount to see what I was missing. The fact is, if I get about 30 bowls out of a 100g tin, that’s about $7 a smoke. That’s not bad compared to cigars. I’ll post my reaction. Just curious how many people consider my move foolish. Not that it matters. I had to try it to quench my curiousity.

I’m not sure whether I’m hoping to be blown away or disappointed. Neither option is ideal. Lol !

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just pulled the trigger on a 100g tin of Christmas Cheer 2003 for 200 clams. I just couldn’t resist. I need to see what McClelland VAs we’re all about. The funny thing is that years ago when I started my pipe journey, I was too green to understand the beauty of VAs. I even bought some McClelland VAs and due to not understanding how to smoke, I never even finished them and probably discarded unfinished tins. Well, fast forward 10 years and I’m paying crazy amount to see what I was missing. The fact is, if I get about 30 bowls out of a 100g tin, that’s about $7 a smoke. That’s not bad compared to cigars. I’ll post my reaction. Just curious how many people consider my move foolish. Not that it matters. I had to try it to quench my curiousity.
I would never spend that much on a tin of tobacco. However I just bought 4 pipes in less than 2 weeks and a pound of tobacco. so.... 🤐 puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think with some patience you could have purchased it at a lower rate. However, I don't think you foolish for buying it. I was a McClelland fan before they closed and remain one. I'm thankful I was able to purchase a fair amount prior to them closing. I regret not buying 5 times the amount I did but not too much. I have enough to smoke a tin every quarter for the remainder of my life I think. I wish I'd purchased enough to smoke a bowl every day. Regardless, enjoy your 2003 Christmas Cheer, I think you will find it marvelous and have zero regrets over your purchase.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I think with some patience you could have purchased it at a lower rate. However, I don't think you foolish for buying it. I was a McClelland fan before they closed and remain one. I'm thankful I was able to purchase a fair amount prior to them closing. I regret not buying 5 times the amount I did but not too much. I have enough to smoke a tin every quarter for the remainder of my life I think. I wish I'd purchased enough to smoke a bowl every day. Regardless, enjoy your 2003 Christmas Cheer, I think you will find it marvelous and have zero regrets over your purchase.
Just curious where are best places to buy it reasonably (as in less than $200 a 100g tin) ??

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
What’s the deal with those red and orange VAs that somebody grew for McClellands ? Are they just not growing them anymore ? And why didn’t McClellands sell somebody their secret recipes for processing ?

Finally, where do I post if I’m looking for vintage tins ? Is there special section of the forum ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I just pulled the trigger on a 100g tin of Christmas Cheer 2003 for 200 clams. I just couldn’t resist.

I’m not sure whether I’m hoping to be blown away or disappointed. Neither option is ideal. Lol !
May sound steep, but here in Oz, current release pipe tobacco is @AUD$145 for a 50gm tin

Premium cigars are AUD$50 - 200+ per stick, depending on brand and vitola

If the kids are clothed, fed and have a roof over their heads, then ENJOY
puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What’s the deal with those red and orange VAs that somebody grew for McClellands ? Are they just not growing them anymore ? And why didn’t McClellands sell somebody their secret recipes for processing ?

Finally, where do I post if I’m looking for vintage tins ? Is there special section of the forum ?
There were "reportedly" a number of reasons McClelland left the business. The two owners were older. It was said the last batch of Red Virginia Leaf they received did not meet their standards. They didn't want to sell their "secret sauce" to another company who would use their name while selling an inferior product. And so on.

There is a Tobacco Sale forum here, you can post a Looking To Buy thread and see if you receive responses. In general, 100 gr McClelland Virginia tins have sold for $100 to $125. Obviously, no more is being made so it's not going to get any cheaper.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
There were "reportedly" a number of reasons McClelland left the business. The two owners were older. It was said the last batch of Red Virginia Leaf they received did not meet their standards. They didn't want to sell their "secret sauce" to another company who would use their name while selling an inferior product. And so on.

There is a Tobacco Sale forum here, you can post a Looking To Buy thread and see if you receive responses. In general, 100 gr McClelland Virginia tins have sold for $100 to $125. Obviously, no more is being made so it's not going to get any cheaper.
Thanks so much. Very helpful !

Reactions: Leomania and seanv
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Mike & Mary weren’t getting the quality 🍂 that they’d got in the past & also weren’t prepared to pay the taxes that the government was increasingly putting on tobacco production. I still think they go to shows occasionally if I’m not mistaken. Check out some of the Pipesmagazine radio episodes with the McNiels …very interesting. ☕

Jun 23, 2019

You can just post a thread in the Tobacco For Sale/For Trade forum, there's usually a couple of Ahabs hunting their personal Moby Dicks,

That said, shoot me a PM, I was just about to make a listing to thin down my cellar, if nothing else be happy to send you a pinch here and there if you're looking to try some other unicorns.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California

Please know that I mean this is in kindest way possible: I hope you like, not love, this blend.
That way, you will enjoy it enough to feel good about your purchase. But not love it so much to lament its unavailability.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I always feel like I missed out on Christmas Cheer. At the time I was mostly an English smoker and had never really experienced the great pleasure of Virginias and vapers. I regret my arriving too late at the realization. Now, I rarely, very rarely like 3-4 times a year, smoke blends with Latakia and smoke Virginias and vapers every day. I have a couple of unopened 100gram tins of Frog Morton's cellar but wish a Genie could magically make the red CC label appear. Such is life...

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I always feel like I missed out on Christmas Cheer. At the time I was mostly an English smoker and had never really experienced the great pleasure of Virginias and vapers. I regret my arriving too late at the realization. Now, I rarely, very rarely like 3-4 times a year, smoke blends with Latakia and smoke Virginias and vapers every day. I have a couple of unopened 100gram tins of Frog Morton's cellar but wish a Genie could magically make the red CC label appear. Such is life...
That was/is EXACTLY my situation. On the positive side, I am learning to enjoy the VAs and Vapers that currently exist. Just ordered some Viprati. I’ve found that Opening Night is excellent with a few years on it. I’m really coming to appreciate staples like Escudo and Elizabethan Mixture especially in the morning. Salty Dog sounds interesting .