PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
It's been a loooong while since I've taken a selfie, especially with a pipe, but I ended up needing a headshot for business purposes:

I ended up going with the volcano.

View attachment 10413 View attachment 10414

I sent a low key version to the University when the Geography department requested it for their awards and scholarships page. Given that they had just gone "100% smoke-free campus", I sent them this:

View attachment 10415

I haven't taken a selfie with any of my Canadians.

My goodness, for a moment there I thought the first two photos were identical and that you had photoshopped different pipes into your mouth. Initial confusion aside- I think all of these look fantastic. The volcano was a good choice for the scholarships page ? you look very distinguished.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Yeah I think you're referring to the same one.

It was just an attempt at humor...referring to the "ugliest pipe" thread recently where St. Pete's creation seemed to run off with the blue ribbon.
Right! I think I remember. He said it was hideous but he'd keep it because "Tinsky or one of his goons drilled it" or something rather.

Reactions: brian64

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's been a loooong while since I've taken a selfie, especially with a pipe, but I ended up needing a headshot for business purposes:

I ended up going with the volcano.

View attachment 10413 View attachment 10414

I sent a low key version to the University when the Geography department requested it for their awards and scholarships page. Given that they had just gone "100% smoke-free campus", I sent them this:

View attachment 10415

I haven't taken a selfie with any of my Canadians.
Now who's trying to look intellectual??

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My goodness, for a moment there I thought the first two photos were identical and that you had photoshopped different pipes into your mouth. Initial confusion aside- I think all of these look fantastic. The volcano was a good choice for the scholarships page ? you look very distinguished.
*Olkofri bows.

Thankee! The distinction is all the pipe's! ?

My mum said to 'get that ugly thing off' my mouth, and I replied that if I were to lose the pipe I'd lose half the personality! :ROFLMAO:

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I've never actually thought about this, but I would argue that the masculinity or femininity of a shape is arbitrary. It's a product of cultural conventions. I spend a lot of time in countries other than the US and I suspect what people might think looks good or bad--or even if a pipe can look good or bad--varies quite a bit. It's an interesting question; thanks for raising it.

Reactions: supperthyme

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’ve never considered whether a particular pipe shape works with my punim.
A pipe appeals to me for a number of reasons, initially looks, proportions, finish, grain, etc. And I have a deep interest in vintage pipes and the historical aspects of pipes and tobaccos. After that it’s how comfortable the pipe is, how well it smokes.
How it looks hanging from my face just doesn’t enter into the equation.
And I only smoke outdoors and thus oftentimes in public. I’ve received a lot of compliments on the pipes I’m smoking, so I guess my lack of sartorial consideration hasn’t impeded my social acceptance.
A hat is entirely a different matter.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I've never considered whether a particular pipe shape works with my punim.
A pipe appeals to me for a number of reasons, initially looks, proportions, finish, grain, etc. And I have a deep interest in vintage pipes and the historical aspects of pipes and tobaccos. After that it’s how comfortable the pipe is, how well it smokes.

Exactly this. I couldn't have said it better.

Reactions: supperthyme

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
My mum said to 'get that ugly thing off' my mouth

Yikes. ? That's a little harsh. She must be worried about your health to react so vehemently.

I count my lucky stars that my mom sees the artistic value in pipe-making, has watched Father the Flame with me and has even gifted me a birthday pipe.

Reactions: olkofri and python

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Recently I came across one of Muttnchop Piper’s videos entitled “What Shape Should I Choose?” in which he suggests purchasing pipes based on how their shapes correlate with your facial features. ?
Have any of you ever applied this concept to your pipe purchases? How many of you avoid certain pipe shapes (despite liking them) specifically because you think they’re ‘unflattering’ to your face?

Personally- I couldn’t care less if my socks match, not to mention whether or not my pipe makes me look like a thumb. Quality, good engineering, beauty and palm feel are what I look for. That said, I’d love to hear the community's take on thispuffy feel free to share your selection process.

The Muttnchop video-

Nope, never have.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I've never actually thought about this, but I would argue that the masculinity or femininity of a shape is arbitrary. It's a product of cultural conventions. I spend a lot of time in countries other than the US and I suspect what people might think looks good or bad--or even if a pipe can look good or bad--varies quite a bit. It's an interesting question; thanks for raising it.
I completely agree! Assessing something's aesthetic value is entirely subjective and varies greatly by culture, region and personal experience.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’ve never considered whether a particular pipe shape works with my punim.
And I only smoke outdoors and thus oftentimes in public. I’ve received a lot of compliments on the pipes I’m smoking, so I guess my lack of sartorial consideration hasn’t impeded my social acceptance.
A hat is entirely a different matter.
Got a little Yiddish goin’ on there? Haven’t heard Punim since my grandma passed away.

Reactions: sablebrush52

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yikes. ? That's a little harsh. She must be worried about your health to react so vehemently.

I count my lucky stars that my mom sees the artistic value in pipe-making, has watched Father the Flame with me and has even gifted me a birthday pipe.
Yeah, that's mostly it. She's believed all the propaganda about the 'evils' of tobacco. I've tried to educate her a bit and she's made some positive comments about this shape or that one, and was interested in how cigars are made. All in all, she'd prefer I didn't smoke a single gram of tobacco or drink a single drop of alcohol. She knows how willfull I am, though, so she just objects knowing it'll be overruled. ?

My dad, however, that's a whooooole different ballgame. So, we just don't tell him I smoke.

My hat's off to your mum. ?

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I have not had the opportunity to go to a pipe show yet, do you think they will let me clench the pipe and take a selfie to see if it fits my face? Kind of like try before you buy?

• Haha
Reactions: diamondback

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have not had the opportunity to go to a pipe show yet, do you think they will let me clench the pipe and take a selfie to see if it fits my face? Kind of like try before you buy?

No, not past the first pipe. Granted personal hygiene runs the gamut at a pipe show but I think it's generally considered a no no even amongst the eternally single aging basement dwellers. At least that's how it is in Chicago, I can't speak for the South where things can take a hard left at any given moment. :LOL:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's a great skit of Joe Pesci trying on a pinkie ring. Anyone recall if it was SNL and about when? Part of this discussion brings that up for me.

While few seem to take to a mirror when "trying on" a pipe, I bet for many there is a correlation between physical attributes of the person and pipe, however subconscious it may be.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.