PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm betting not many pipe smokers will buy a pipe which, they feel/sense, makes them look foolish. I'd also bet that not many of us will admit to checking the fit of a pipe with the shape of our face even when we do. If we find it acceptable, we'll buy the pipe. So ... of course we do, possibly subconsciously but, "face fit" certainly matters.

The question might better be, do we care what others think of how a pipe fits our face? Most of us do not. A few here, over the years, have admitted to checking themselves out in a mirror though. Personal vanity of course enters into the equation.

Reactions: supperthyme

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I couldn’t care less what an onlooker thinks of my pipes, however, (and please pardon my “old school” views) I do believe that on the whole, pipe appearance would be of interest on a deeper level to many female pipe smokers.

Having a wife and daughter, I see firsthand how they are very fashion conscious. Were they to smoke a pipe, I’d take it in stride that they’d choose something that accentuates their features, etc. in a manner pleasing to them.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Does that mean I should then dress, look, and behave like a bum because I think nobody cares? Not at all. Even the humblest of men did care about appearing presentable to others

This whole post was very well-constructed. You've made a great case for choosing your pipes based on whether they're aesthetically flattering to the smoker. I can absolutely see your point.

So what shape range do you prefer to stay in?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I do believe that on the whole, pipe appearance would be of interest on a deeper level to many female pipe smokers.
Most definitely. One thing I didn't want to mention but since you do, yes, we men, upon the whole, have the incentive and the intention to appear attractive to the opposite sex. Didn't some men back in the old days smoke cherry aros to get dates?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This whole post was very well-constructed. You've made a great case for choosing your pipes based on whether they're aesthetically flattering to the smoker. I can absolutely see your point.

So what shape range do you prefer to stay in?
I prefer bents, and briars. I absolutely refuse to smoke a cob if I'm wearing a suit or somehow dressed up. Lately, I've acquired two Canadians and am wanting to find out if they suit my facial shape. Of course, mum is no help. :rolleyes:

I still need to get me a bulldog, bent, of course.

Reactions: supperthyme

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I purchase pipes for many reasons. One of those reasons is rarity. The above specimen will certainly not make a person look any better, but you’ll never find another one like it ever again. The beauty lies in the artist’s mastery of his craft. When I’m out in public though, I like to smoke stacked pencil shank pipes or Lovat’s, not for any other reason than they’re easy to set & forget.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
“Honey, does this pipe make me look fat?”.

I heard of this idea of a correlation between face shape and ideal pipe shape for years but never attempted to apply it as a determining factor in my pipe acquisitions. Perhaps I should have, but I am generally a solitary smoker with no one to impress so it doesn’t occur to me and also, it seems (to me) that us pipe smokers are, as a whole, less concerned about conventional appearances as a group.
Of course, there are exceptions to every generalization and few can deny that Bing’s namesake shape didn’t fit him to a “T”.
No, for me, the relationship between the tobaccos, pipe characteristics, pipe sizes, hand feel and pipe shapes, they all take the lead in my choices and the idea of how a pipe suits my features comes at a distant nonexistent.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
please pardon my “old school” views) I do believe that on the whole, pipe appearance would be of interest on a deeper level to many female pipe smokers.
One thing I didn't want to mention but since you do, yes, we men, upon the whole, have the incentive and the intention to appear attractive to the opposite sex.

All viewpoints are welcome, old school or otherwise. These points certainly bring an interesting new dimension to the topic. Anybody here get themselves a date with a cherry aromatic?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I purchase pipes for many reasons. One of those reasons is rarity. The above specimen will certainly not make a person look any better, but you’ll never find another one like it ever again.

I find myself leaning towards this camp. Factory pipes just aren't special to me any longer, but those one-of-a-kind artisan pipes? Very appealing, regardless of how ridiculous I may look while smoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.