PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Recently I came across one of Muttnchop Piper’s videos entitled “What Shape Should I Choose?” in which he suggests purchasing pipes based on how their shapes correlate with your facial features. ?
Have any of you ever applied this concept to your pipe purchases? How many of you avoid certain pipe shapes (despite liking them) specifically because you think they’re ‘unflattering’ to your face?

Personally- I couldn’t care less if my socks match, not to mention whether or not my pipe makes me look like a thumb. Quality, good engineering, beauty and palm feel are what I look for. That said, I’d love to hear the community's take on thispuffy feel free to share your selection process.

The Muttnchop video-

Good ol' Muttnchop. Bit of an oddball but I used to watch him when I was first starting out. That video in particular seemed like a well meaning attempt at providing style tips to the savages but the face matching thing never crossed my mind.

I look for functional pipes that are also visually appealing to me. As much as I like seeing a pipe cut in half, I don't focus too much on engineering aspects (before you ask, of course there's an amazing thread on this very thing and yes there are pics). Also, I figure I can adjust my technique to get a good smoke out of most pipes. Same goes for certain tobaccos.
However, there are subjective things I also take into account which usually boils down to that certain je ne sais quoi which sets a pipe apart among the 1000 other same ones from the factory. "This my pipe, there are many like it but this is mi--"

I guess what's most important for me is that I find the pipe enjoyable to smoke - maybe it's not a showboat or the hottest meme but I genuinely have to like the pipe over what it can do for my appearance. Anyhow, in my short time with pipes, I know that I'm definitely a smoker and not much of a pipe collector in that sense... at least my budding TAD and lack of cellar says so.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I've developed the ability to rapidly scan any pipe vendor site, because there are not that many shapes that appeal -- mostly smooth bent dublins or princes, though there are exceptions. I'll never know how they look with my face, cuz I don't have the habit of ogling myself in mirrors. Others won't either, cuz I don't smoke in public. Where the hell would I smoke ? And I only smoke outside when there is no breeze, which where I reside is almost never the case.
So, I'm an invisible smoker :)

Reactions: supperthyme

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
back in the olden days when they had a space for tobacco and pipes at your local drug store (and not behind the counter) they sold "ladies pipes".

A forum friend recently brought this to my attention after he lost a bid on a Kaywoodie "Lady Briar" (complete with rhinestones) on the bay. Although some modern ideologues may find a sex-specific pipe offensive, I find it quite humorous. ?
I completely understand why the marketing gods of yesteryear found it necessary to advertise pipe smoking specifically to women. We were (and somewhat still are) an untapped market for the pipe industry. For the record: I don't believe that this disparity has anything to do with sexism- it's just the way it is.

Reactions: Casual

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I prefer to choose a face to suit my pipe.

3wokmLH.jpg

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I'm a wildlife biologist and outdoorsman so I like pipes that can take some abuse and also ones that are more suited for walking the dogs through the woods than sitting at a coffee shop or suchlike.

Thank you for bringing up another important facet of the pipe selection process: lifestyle. A meticulously carved latticed meer or immaculate smooth artisan masterpiece are perfectly suited to somebody who takes to relaxing in a smoking lounge, but it would never last on one of your backcountry trips.

Has anybody designed a pipe line specifically for lunting yet? I often bring a pipe on backpacking trips and it would be fabulous to have some kind of "trekking" pipe, specifically designed with the outdoors enthusiast in mind.

Last edited:

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
A forum friend recently brought this to my attention after he lost a bid on a Kaywoodie "Lady Briar" (complete with rhinestones) on the bay. Although some modern ideologues may find a sex-specific pipe offensive, I find it quite humorous. ?
I completely understand why the marketing gods of yesteryear found it necessary to advertise pipe smoking specifically to women. We were (and somewhat still are) an untapped market for the pipe industry. For the record: I don't believe that this disparity has anything to do with sexism- it's just the way it is.
My mother gave me this...I don’t have the heart to tell her it’s not my style...?...rhinestones and all...10462

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
:) No rhinestones. They were normal briars, just smaller. They used to sell smaller zippo lighters which were advertised a ladies lighters as well. I imagine a lady likes a full bowl as well as a man, though. I dunno.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Thank you for bringing up another important facet of the pipe selection process: lifestyle. A meticulously carved latticed meer or immaculate smooth artisan masterpiece are perfectly suited to somebody who takes to relaxing in a smoking lounge, but it would never last on one of your backcountry trips.

Has anybody designed a pipe line specifically for lunting yet? I often bring a pipe on backpacking trips and it would be fabulous to have some kind of "trekking" pipe, specifically designed with the outdoors enthusiast in mind.
A cob is about as close to a trekking pipe as you’ll get (at least that’s the story of the cob). My trekking pipe is an ‘05 Wallenstein olive wood chin warmer. It goes with me on all my outdoor adventures.1047310474

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My lunting pipes are whichever clenched I have in my jaw when I step out the door. I find a 1/4 bent more comfortable for clenching than a full as I can't stand a pipe laying against my chin for extended periods of time.

Reactions: supperthyme

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One example that is similar to the pipe consideration is an entire study on the style of eyeglasses one might wear, and how it makes them look in relation to the shape of their face.

It also depends on what you're going for. Do you want to look smart / scholarly, rugged / macho? ... fill in the blank.

One of the great things about meers is they color over time...so when you reach this point in your smoking career they continue to match your face:

Reactions: Chasing Embers

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
:) No rhinestones. They were normal briars, just smaller. They used to sell smaller zippo lighters which were advertised a ladies lighters as well. I imagine a lady likes a full bowl as well as a man, though. I dunno.

View attachment 10469View attachment 10471

I was referring to one of these:

If I had to guess the era, I'd say late 60's? Obviously I can't speak for all women, but personally I like a full bowl with a large chamber. Group 4 < is preferred.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'm of the ilk that chooses a pipe based on how I like the looks of it, not as an accessory to my outfit/style/face. I prefer Lovats and Billiards to anything else, but I have many other shapes, from Danish freehand to interesting bulldogs. It's the pipe itself- it stands or falls on it's own merits- that makes me want or not want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.