PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's just been declared a pandemic, and the numbers of cases continue to rise. So stay flexible with regard to plans for an event still a month and a half off.
People are avoiding crowded areas, such as stadiums, etc.
My grandnephew's Bar Mitzvah is next weekend, and in the past few days, almost all of the out of town guests have cancelled due concerns over flying and just being in an airport. Being stoopid, I'm still planning to attend, but I'll be the only out of town family member doing so.

Yes, it's probably not a smart idea to go, but then I'm supposed to hop on a plane this Saturday so who am I to talk.

But honestly I'm still reeling from the notion that you're old enough to have a 13 year old grandnephew. No wonder you're such an expert on Barlings. You probably babysat Montague Barling when he was a brat.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, it's probably not a smart idea to go, but then I'm supposed to hop on a plane this Saturday so who am I to talk.

But honestly I'm still reeling from the notion that you're old enough to have a 13 year old grandnephew. No wonder you're such an expert on Barlings. You probably babysat Montague Barling when he was a brat.
Well, as it happens, things have changed in the last hour. My son doesn't want me anywhere near an airport after seeing a news report about TSA personnel testing positive for the coronavirus. So he's canceled his plans to leave tomorrow and we'll drive up on Friday. When an entire nation gets quarantined, there may be something to be concerned about.

Monte was very well behaved, BTW.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I heard through the grapevine last week that the city of Itasca banned gatherings till May 8th but I just got an email from the hotel that canceled my reservation and notice they are shutting down till May 4th. ?

Reactions: sfduke and BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Regretfully, I cancelled my reservations at the Westin for the Chicago Show. I really enjoy that show. My heart felt empathy to the Chicago Pipe Club for the difficulties they've had to deal with this year. Talk about a perfect storm.

Reactions: BROBS and 3rdguy

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I found nothing useful on the Itasca or Westin websites so I called the hotel directly. The woman who answered was working the front desk, and told me unequivocally that all events at the hotel until May 4 were cancelled. If true that would certainly include the show.

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Members of the CPCC have reported having their hotel reservations canceled by the Westin.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Not to be too simplistic about things but is there some particular reason it could not be reschedule for later in the year? And not too be too optimistic but, well, mightn't it actually work out better scheduled later given the rocky and relatively late confirmation this year?

Reactions: litup and BROBS

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Rescheduling isn't without significant challenges. How far out do you go to feel confident that the world will be normal enough for a successful show? Is the rescheduled date the new permanent date? Or do you resume in May 2021 even if that means two shows in under a year? And what about competition from other pipe shows? I personally would hate to see Chicago take place anywhere near the Vegas show. I love both.

Which is just my way of saying the show organizers have (yet another!) daunting task and I wish them the best in addressing it.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
If the Westin is cancelling reservations and telling folks everything is cancelled through May 4. IMHO, it's time to cut their loses and regroup for 2021. Certainly no one can blame the club. Every major league sport is shutdown, Olympic moved back a year. Inbound from Europe not happening.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I just called and confirmed that the Westin has cancelled all reservations and events through the 4th. I have cancelled all of my plans. I think they should just skip this year. A poor performing show later this year will be worse than skipping 2020 and coming back strong in 2021.

Reactions: BROBS and litup

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
My hotel reservation was also cancelled. Time to move on from even entertaining the thought of this show. The on-off-on-maybe-maybe not-on again- off.........I quit.

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
I must say that although there was a lot of effort to make it happen its real sad to seeing cancelled.

Coming each year from Greece where there isn't any real pipe smoking community was always a pleasure to see old friends and make new ones.

Let's make sure that nexts year show will be a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.