PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Oh my Goodness, that show is dangerous to the bank account. First one because the selection is always best at the start. Then another. And then it’s just WTF....
Great to see Neal and Mark. Thanks for the Sentimiento Nacional Choctaw, Mark! Very rich, flavorful, fairly strong, and ruggedly earthy. I also had the great pleasure of meeting Rob (Robcap) who came all the way from Australia. I saw Crash at his Greywoodie booth. They look like nicely made classics and a real bargain. Crash shared a table with Chillucky (Lucky), who was selling his very cool pipe travel case. Lucky generously donated one of the cases to the silent auction and it was purchased by Ping Zhan! I was hoping to meet George (georged), but I didn’t see him. Other CPCC members who contribute to the forum and were there were Dino and Winton.
Neal knows EVERYBODY, it seems. He introduced me to Tom Eltang, who was very friendly. The show is littered with people you’ve heard of. You can’t help but sit next to a few. I got to hang out with all sorts of well-known folks, sharing a bowl and a beer. Jeremy Reeves, Per Jensen, Adam Davidson, Glen Whelan (Peterson), Mark Irwin, Nate King, JT Cooke, Lee Erck, Brad Pohlmann, Silver Gray, Jeff Gracik, Ernie Markle, Fred Hanna, Marty Pulvers, Chance Whittamore, Ron Cooper, Jon David Cole, Brian Levine, Jeremiah from Bullfrog Pipes, NASPC’’s The Pipe Collector author Mike Zicha, and Shane Ireland. I’m certain I’m missing others.
The Slow Smoke was pretty interesting — especially the Russians and Ukranians, who are super-intense. Manduela was first out. I was giving my new Von Erck poker it’s maiden voyage as the competition began. Over an hour into it, I was still on my first light and it only went out because Lee walked up to chat. That pipe is going to get used a LOT.
I got to show my big honkin’ Parker to Rich Esserman, who graciously proclaimed it a “modern magnum”, which I think means it’s not quite a magnum. But he did offer to buy it if I ever want to sell. He also helped me date it to the mid-70s. Finally, I was honored to be asked by Mark Irwin to sign the cover page of “The Peterson Pipe” as a contributor. I signed WAY off to the side to make room for the real contributors.
If you can manage to make it to the show, try to come by Thursday night. That’s when the show really begins. Lots of artisan sales take place starting as soon as the carvers arrive. I bought the majority of my pipes Wednesday and Thursday. Another sleeper time is the after party, so to speak. It’s quiet and a good time to really hang with folks.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Is anyone from the CPCC willing or able to talk about the flier that was handed out that said people not staying at the Pheasant Run Resort and eating their meals there are killing the show? Is the show's continued existence really that tenuous?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
then it’s just WTF....

YEP! Here's my WTF pipe. I was completely done buying pipes. I even stated so publicly. Then this happened. Say hello to my little friend [Magnum Chimney Stack].

eqgnFSO.jpg

Neal knows EVERYBODY, it seems. He introduced me to Tom Eltang, who was very friendly.

And here's a mugshot of you two!

k8zINKl.jpg

not staying at the Pheasant Run Resort and eating their meals there are killing the show?

That will go down as the "infamous flyer" episode in our hobby. OMG did that get people talking. I will say that there is truth to both sides.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Chicago Bowl for Virginia Fake Resuts
17 C&D Red Carpet

32 Lane PS Luxury Navy Flake

44 John Cotton Double Pressed VA Pipes & Cigars ** Winner of contest **

56 Mississippi River Seattle Pipe Club

64 Crumple Cake Red Virginia Sutliff
FYI, the voting was very close.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I don't have access to the numbers, but we were down from previous years. We do commit to a certain amount of rooms and meals for Pheasant Run. Sorry, I don't know the details.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
To quote Craiginthecorn,
"Oh my Goodness, that show is dangerous to the bank account. First one because the selection is always best at the start. Then another. And then it’s just WTF.."
I came home with fifty cents, and several pipes and tobacco. . . Too bad my wife's van needed a new battery near the end of the show.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
My first Chicago show was awesome. I'll definitely be back. Lucky was fantastic company and really helped smooth over nerves my first time there. I only took 20th in the slow smoke, but it was my first National competition, a fun contest with an amazing pipe for the cost of entry. It was great to meet the handful of you. Thanks to all who stopped by and made a purchase!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
In the southeastern corner of the exposition hall was a long table full of estate pipes that were being sold on behalf of a widow of a gentleman who had a magnificent collection.
The widow and her two sisters were there and I have to say I enjoyed meeting them and talking to them quite a lot on Sunday.
There was an old-school collector presiding over the sale of the widow's pipe--I believe his name was Peter (?)--a very tall fellow. Does anyone know who he is or have his contact info? He has some historical info about some of the pipes I bought and I wanted to get back in touch with him, and I'm also wondering about the fate of the unsold pipes on the table.
Very fun show, and in my opinion contest blend #44 won hands down! Cheers

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I think that as hosts, we need to help attendees better understand how their spending on hotel rooms, food, and drinks impacts the show and to do so at the outset. I'm not a show officer, so I can only assume that the resort is demanding higher rates for the future because they're not making enough revenue.
Pheasant Run needs to offer a better value to customers and they'll spend more at the resort. It's not the Four Seasons.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Greeneyes, yes, his name is Pete. The last name escapes me at the moment. He's from NYC and was selling hundreds of British pipes -- Loewe, BBB, GBD, Sasieni, Upshall, and Dunhill. I'd suggest writing Louis Carbone, President of the New York Pipe club at president@newyorkpipeclub.org. I'll bet he can put you in touch.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks craiginthecorn, yes I was just researching it and it seems it's Pete, also referred to as "Big Pete" from the New York Pipe Club. He was helping to sell the estate pipes from Dan Silverstone who passed away and was a prominent member of the club.
I'll contact Louis Carbone and ask! Thanks again!

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I, also, am a member of the Chicago club but have no part in hosting the show. Just in looking around as an exhibitor, tho I could see probably 50 employees of the resort working with us to make the show run smoothly and keep us all fed. $15/head to get in wouldn't cover that much salary.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am not affiliated with the CPCC, but after attending and having so many kind employees of the resort do so much for us, I can say that I think the sentiment was good, but the delivery, not so much. The letter was a bit strongly worded, but supporting the resort is important.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I saw the letter. I thought it could've been worded a bit better but I also understand the sentiment. Given the anti smoking environment, I think it is safe to say there isn't a long line of facilities looking to host this type of show. If the show is marginally profitable for the facility, or worse, the show will cease to exist. I think it is safe to say there would be much more complaining about that happening than about a strongly worded memo.
I suspect there is a handful of people who put in the majority of the effort that goes into planning and preparing for the show. That effort has to be considerable. To see that effort be squandered or taken for granted would be extraordinarily frustrating. So again, I understand the source of the sentiment behind the memo. I have enjoyed myself immensely at the show the past two years and appreciate those who are responsible for making the show possible. A slightly critical memo did nothing to dampen my appreciation and respect.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I think that as hosts, we need to help attendees better understand how their spending on hotel rooms, food, and drinks impacts the show and to do so at the outset. I'm not a show officer, so I can only assume that the resort is demanding higher rates for the future because they're not making enough revenue.
I agree with this. The first year I attended I got a room across the street because the rooms at the Pheasant Run were booked for part of my stay and twice as costly. But I had no idea back then that I should "be ashamed" for doing so and that I was "killing the show". I've since been enlightened and I now know that staying at the hotel and eating meals there helps the bottom line so I will gladly do just that.
But I also know that a fair amount of people couldn't afford to stay there at all. Some guys were sleeping in their trucks, in tents, or on the couch in other people's rooms. Not everyone can afford $180 a night and I don't think it does the community any good to try to shame those people.
I wish I knew more about the agreement between the show and the CPCC because I had several conversations during the show with people who had ideas for making up the money that's being lost. Is it the hotel that's not making enough money or the show itself? If it's the show, why not raise admission prices? $15 for one day or $20 for a weekend pass? Why not charge for the Friday night dinner? Even a minimal amount of $5 or $10 a head would have raised a thousand dollars or more. They could consider charging for tables at the pre-show Friday morning. Someone even suggested adopting the method they use at the big show in China where all the money for products is exchanged by show exhibitors and the show takes a small percentage.
If it's the hotel that's hurting and putting the pressure on the CPCC . . . well, I hope we can figure out a way to help save this great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.