Cellaring Query - What are You Cellaring Most?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Franco, This question always puzzles me.?‍♂️ Just cellar what you’re enjoying right now. It makes little sense to ask others what they are cellaring as they likely have different taste & opinion. If you’re really enjoying a blend now, then stock your cabinet with it. My cellaring is fairly complete & really rarely ? away anything more…possibly a one off Virginia/VaPer blend.☕
I know.

I won’t be cellaring many Latakia infused blends, they aren’t my thing. I guess I was just interested in the ratio that people are cellaring their choice of “everyday smoke“ to their “once in a while smokes” - am I better off cellaring the ones I like infrequently because they might be the less popular blends and these might be the blends that vanish.
Also, I was being curious. ??‍♂️

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
There’s maybe 8 blends that I have grown very fond of and I just keep buying those now a couple times per year to keep going deeper. 50/50 split of a few aromatics and a few Virginia flakes.

I still have a mix of other stuff and I might pick up the random tin to try but have mostly stopped random buying.
At a glance I'd guess that my small but mighty cellar is composed of 75% Virginias, VaPers, VaPerBurs, VaOrs. The other 25% is split about various OTCs, Burley blends, aromatics, and English/Balkan?Oriental blends.
I'll skip specific blends since many of them are now out of production, or, to my way of thinking, now made in cheapened compromised versions.
When you find something you like, stock up on it. But don't stock up on what others recommend without sampling it yourself first. Just because someone else likes a blend doesn't mean you're going to like it.
Are there any blends that absolutely can’t be cellared in your experience?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Well, seriously now. I think the most I have in tins is virginia, about 500 blue and Gold tins of capstan, among other tobaccos. Flake in Virginia and Navy /HH. Mixture Scottish Blend/Flake, I have increased mac baren quite a bit, all virginias. Condor, St.Bruno. Veermaster Hamborger. Everything else, 20% G.L Pease and C&D in latakias blend........is what I remember first......a large number of tobaccos at a good price and close to home, is also the reason for some brands. At a neighborhood shop, and another tobacconist on the coast a few kilometers from my village.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are there any blends that absolutely can’t be cellared in your experience?
Absolutely can't be cellared? No. None of which I am aware.

Cellar because you like a particular blend and want to be sure that you have it on hand when you want to smoke it. That's my #1 reason for stocking up. Too many favorites have just disappeared over the years.

Other reasons are rising costs, falling quantities, falling quality. Aging is mostly an afterthought. Blends don't improve with age. Blends change with age, and whether that constitutes an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.

Cellaring is something of an act of faith.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Absolutely can't be cellared? No. None of which I am aware.

Cellar because you like a particular blend and want to be sure that you have it on hand when you want to smoke it. That's my #1 reason for stocking up. Too many favorites have just disappeared over the years.

Other reasons are rising costs, falling quantities, falling quality. Aging is mostly an afterthought. Blends don't improve with age. Blends change with age, and whether that constitutes an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.

Cellaring is something of an act of faith.
I agree with your analysis...........

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Well, seriously now. I think the most I have in tins is virginia, about 500 blue and Gold tins of capstan, among other tobaccos. Flake in Virginia and Navy /HH. Mixture Scottish Blend/Flake, I have increased mac baren quite a bit, all virginias. Condor, St.Bruno. Veermaster Hamborger. Everything else, 20% G.L Pease and C&D in latakias blend........is what I remember first......a large number of tobaccos at a good price and close to home, is also the reason for some brands. At a neighborhood shop, and another tobacconist on the coast a few kilometers from my village.
500 tins of Capstan!?!?!? That should see you through until the Second Coming!!! ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cellared all favorites. I have 41 different flakes plugs, 2 aromatics and one rope. Anytime I thought about a blend to try, I would buy a test tin and smoke a few bowls and if i really liked it i would go deep. I have no latakia or Orientals or red Virginia in my cellar. The last time I added a good sized number of tins was the Savinelli sale of tobacco. I bought the large tins, I know they are some where around 3.5 ounces. That was around 2018 I think. I never wanted a cellar that was 200 tins deep. That can be so much work to remember and my memory is bad. I have enough variety tp keep me happy.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
I am still trying out new blends and exploring. Been ordering lots of tins to try. With a newborn I don't have as much time to smoke as before, so inevitably they end up in the cellar drawer. I am expecting a delivery of Mac Baren tins, along with a new pipe ? (yes the bug has hit me bad).

A few days later when the TP C&D sale went live I ordered a few tins of various blends.
For sure I want to stock up on Engine #99, which I ordered some bulk of that.

I really want to cellar Peterson Nightcap as I have really enjoyed that as my last smoke of the day.

Honestly, what is driving me to cellar is the increasing price of tobacco.....at least's that what I tell myself when the buyer's remorse sets in....

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I am still trying out new blends and exploring. Been ordering lots of tins to try. With a newborn I don't have as much time to smoke as before, so inevitably they end up in the cellar drawer. I am expecting a delivery of Mac Baren tins, along with a new pipe ? (yes the bug has hit me bad).

A few days later when the TP C&D sale went live I ordered a few tins of various blends.
For sure I want to stock up on Engine #99, which I ordered some bulk of that.

I really want to cellar Peterson Nightcap as I have really enjoyed that as my last smoke of the day.

Honestly, what is driving me to cellar is the increasing price of tobacco.....at least's that what I tell myself when the buyer's remorse sets in....
Well, if you plan on enjoying a pipe & tobacco for a good while… grab all the blends you really enjoy & that you can afford. Nothing seems to be getting cheaper as we go on. ?☕

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
^^^ See what Sable said above and read it again.

Perhaps the newest wrinkle when it comes to cellaring is whether to go deep on some special release that sounds great, but you don’t know yet from personal experience. It’ll be gone in days, or less, so the window of consideration is narrow at best.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Ah, but some don't do it for aging. I smoke a lot and it's now getting to the point that I just can't justify the rising cost. I love nicotine and didn't want to have to struggle financially in my later years to get it.
I smoked cigarettes for 35 years and had to quit for my health. I'm an x-ray tech. Used to smoke at work, in the hospital in x-ray. ER docs would join us because they couldn't smoke in the ER. Used to buy a carton of cigs for less than $10. I understand the issue. I came back to pipes because I like the look of pipes, the feel in my hand and the ritual of the smoke. Currently I'm on one bowl a day. It has relaxed me. I want to keep it there. Are there any bulk containers of tobacco you buy that taste good and are less expensive that you cellar?