Cellaring Query - What are You Cellaring Most?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are there any bulk containers of tobacco you buy that taste good and are less expensive that you cellar?
As much McClelland and other big names I have in the closet, my all time favorite tobaccos seem to be Sutliff TS24 and C&D Engine 382. Both are ridiculously inexpensive.?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I must admit, I'm pretty content with what I have at the moment. Still, if money and space were not factors...

Tins:
- Any Drew Estate blends
- All Ashton blends, esp. Gold Rush and Winding Road
- Dunhill Aperitif
- Capstan Blue
- Balkan Sasieni
- various Mac Baren aromatics

Bulk:
- PS LBF
- Sutliff BS Orig. Mix Match
- Lane 1Q
- Mac Baren Golden Extra
- Sutliff VA Slices
- Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake

Ugh, all this daydreaming is a TAD sufferer's worst nightmare! I'm just thankful I got into pipe smoking before the inevitable hyperinflation sends us all into the second coming of Weimar Germany.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are there any bulk containers of tobacco you buy that taste good and are less expensive that you cellar?
Hell yes! I like C&D Yorktown, and several of the Sutliff Match blends - Match Victorian, Edgeworth match, Revelation match, Troost Match, among them. D&R Rimboché AP or SJ are good basic VaPers made with quality leaf.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I know.

I won’t be cellaring many Latakia infused blends, they aren’t my thing. I guess I was just interested in the ratio that people are cellaring their choice of “everyday smoke“ to their “once in a while smokes” - am I better off cellaring the ones I like infrequently because they might be the less popular blends and these might be the blends that vanish.
Also, I was being curious. ??‍♂️
That logic totally escapes me. If you smoke them infrequently, you must not like them that much. If they go away, you'll only miss them infrequently. Focus your cellaring efforts on the blends you smoke most often. If you get those adequately covered, then branch out if you're still feeling TAD.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Maybe rather than focusing on what people are cellaring specifically - the real question is why are they cellaring. Just an opinion.

I’m sure there is aging potential - but, what I’m loading up on are blends I really enjoy. The blend itself isn’t near as important as my personal like for them. I don’t care who likes what. For taste testing- it’s good to know other’s thoughts - but, trying out tobacco with an ounce or two vs. cellaring pounds is just a different conversation.

Are you cellaring on other’s tastes or your own?

Reactions: Piping Abe
1. I cellared a few blends to age and also because I enjoyed buying tobacco. Excitement of buying now over, I only buy occasionally
2. Blends might get out of production - So buying a few of your favorites to keep them handy is a good thing
3. Mathematically / Financially it does not make sense to buy tobacco because they are cheaper now. Yes they will become more costly, but money well invested in a portfolio will outperform the price rise in tobacco. So smarter thing is to invest the money in the market now, and buy tobacco at a higher price later and still have change left from the appreciation of your original investment by virtue of compounding

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
why are they cellaring
For me, I like smoking and tobacco prices are now mostly at a point to where I have to say no more. In my late teens in the early '90s I noticed tobacco's continuous price increase and knew that one day I wouldn't be able to afford it so I started putting back a pound for every pound I bought. Aging doesn't really interest me and aging that does happen with my tobacco is just a consequence of not have gotten around to smoking it yet.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
500 tins of Capstan!?!?!? That should see you through until the Second Coming!!! ?
Yes Franco. My goal is to prioritize the purchase of tobacco, especially rotational tobacco at a good price close to home. And then make the purchase of the first briar pipes. At the moment I am satisfied smoking with the MM cobs, which give me very good smokes. I would never have imagined keeping so much tobacco. I remember when I started, I had about 50 tins and it seemed like a lot. And of course I am not willing to buy tobacco when the prices are abusive. My economy is austere. Best regards my friend.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
When I first started cellaring two and a half years ago I was so caught up in the excitement of the wide world of possibilities that were available. I cellared very wide and shallow on a ton of different blends, many of which I still haven’t tried. I don’t regret it because I have quite a lot of variety available, which is never a bad thing, but now I’m feeling increasing pressure to play catch up and start stockpiling the blends I truly love and don’t want to be without.

I smoke very infrequently, but sometime in the future that could change, and I’m only 32. Do I need 25 tins of something to last me 50 years, or 50 tins, or 100 tins? I’ve no clue.

Point being, I agree with the sage wisdom of others on here. If you have something you’re crazy for - buy it now and buy a shit load of it if you plan on smoking it regularly. You can sit and watch prices go up 15-20% on a lot of blends just over the course of 6 months lately.

Ensuring long term access to your go-to “I could smoke this shit all day” blends should be the chief concern for every newish pipe smoker like me whose cellar is not already bursting at the seams. I just sold a couple Dunhill’s and Peterson’s so I could buy a fat stack of Irish Flake, and it was 100% the right call.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
My cellaring frenzy peaked between 2013-2016 tapered off a bit for a few years and then picked back up in 2020 for a stretch. If it was a blend I was into I generally purchased 10-20 tins of it and if it was a blend I was on and off with I would top off at 5 tins and move on. I'm a "variety is the spice of life" kind of fella, so I've got dozens of blends stocked away. My dad was a Coors, and only Coors, drinker for 40+ years and I always found that to be a bore.

If I were to start all over today I really wouldn't do anything differently; however, I would focus my buying on GLP and go deep across much of the lineup.

With my cellaring days largely behind me, I'm now a sucker for limited releases and small batches. Unlike some on the board I don't find it a marketing gimmick that turns me off. I find the prospect of trying something new and special exciting.

I'm in my early 40s and sitting on ~175 lbs in my cellar...did I purchase too much? Well...that depends on one's perspective. I'll always have my favs to enjoy whether I die tomorrow or in 50 years. I'll always have blends to gift away to friends. I'll always have blends available should my son decide to pick up the pipe.

Percentage-wise my cellar is heaviest in these areas:

30% VA
30% VA/PER
15% VA/OR/LAT
10% VA/BUR
10% LAT

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
My cellaring frenzy peaked between 2013-2016 tapered off a bit for a few years and then picked back up in 2020 for a stretch. If it was a blend I was into I generally purchased 10-20 tins of it and if it was a blend I was on and off with I would top off at 5 tins and move on. I'm a "variety is the spice of life" kind of fella, so I've got dozens of blends stocked away. My dad was a Coors, and only Coors, drinker for 40+ years and I always found that to be a bore.

If I were to start all over today I really wouldn't do anything differently; however, I would focus my buying on GLP and go deep across much of the lineup.

With my cellaring days largely behind me, I'm now a sucker for limited releases and small batches. Unlike some on the board I don't find it a marketing gimmick that turns me off. I find the prospect of trying something new and special exciting.

I'm in my early 40s and sitting on ~175 lbs in my cellar...did I purchase too much? Well...that depends on one's perspective. I'll always have my favs to enjoy whether I die tomorrow or in 50 years. I'll always have blends to gift away to friends. I'll always have blends available should my son decide to pick up the pipe.

Percentage-wise my cellar is heaviest in these areas:

30% VA
30% VA/PER
15% VA/OR/LAT
10% VA/BUR
10% LAT
I am 100% in agreement with you on the limited releases. My heart goes pitter patter when I see the “available soon” Instagram posts on the new Sun Bear, Cringle, etc. It’s good to have a small bit of cash set aside a few times a year for when these drop!

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
I feel like I'm just about done buying little one off samples of tobacco. At this point, I pretty much know what I like and I wait till there is a sale online and buy whatever the minimum for free shipping is. I've definitely got enough English blends to last me a lifetime at the rate I'm smoking them these days. I'm currently working on stocking up on the two or three Burley blends I smoke every day. I don't have a ton of Virginia blends put up, but then again, I don't smoke a ton of Virginia.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
1. I cellared a few blends to age and also because I enjoyed buying tobacco. Excitement of buying now over, I only buy occasionally
2. Blends might get out of production - So buying a few of your favorites to keep them handy is a good thing
3. Mathematically / Financially it does not make sense to buy tobacco because they are cheaper now. Yes they will become more costly, but money well invested in a portfolio will outperform the price rise in tobacco. So smarter thing is to invest the money in the market now, and buy tobacco at a higher price later and still have change left from the appreciation of your original investment by virtue of compounding
Think of the McClelland fans who followed your advice.. Now have money and no where to spend it. Those that didnt now have a pile of Frogs bought at $15 they could be flipping in the $100 range.

Think of the McClelland fans who followed your advice.. Now have money and no where to spend it. Those that didnt now have a pile of Frogs bought at $15 they could be flipping in the $100 range.
The advise was given only to ones who want to follow it. Others can ignore.

If making $ 85 by flipping a McClelland tin makes you rich/happy go for it. People who manage their money better don’t have to get rich by flipping tobacco tins ?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
McClellands are the majority of my cellar, since it was my favorite maker of Virginias before tits up. And, 5100 Red Cake is by far the one blend I have the most of.

If you love it, stock up. We didn’t get much of a warning before we lost McClellands. No joke. Any company can close up in the snap of a finger.
I agree Cosmic. The news is never favorable, which is an indication that prevention is better than cure.