PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used t love cats until they stopped using their guts to provide strings for my tennis rackets. Once cat get went off th market they began using lamb gut. There was just a bit more bite and spin with cat gut than with lamb gut.
Now they have polyester strings that are amazing to hit with but when you are over 50 playing singles a full bed of Luxxilon Rough will tear your arm off after about a year maybe. The shit is the balls as the amount of spin revolutions you can generate is sick. After a while I had to switch to half Luxxilon in the crosses and the gut in the mains. It wasn't quite as good but I could pound the ball at 50 years old plus faster than when I was in my 20"s.

Even Federer can't play with a full bed of Luxxilon. I used the same strings he did and loved them. I always played with 3 Wilson Staffs and would re string them after every 3-4 matchs. You would ne amazed at what a difference that made.

Ok, this has to be one of the most off topic posts I have ever written and I do that a lot. I hope you found it some what amusing.

To all you cat lovers, when they croak ship them off and make some money off them. lol

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I used t love cats until they stopped using their guts to provide strings for my tennis rackets. Once cat get went off th market they began using lamb gut. There was just a bit more bite and spin with cat gut than with lamb gut.
Now they have polyester strings that are amazing to hit with but when you are over 50 playing singles a full bed of Luxxilon Rough will tear your arm off after about a year maybe. The shit is the balls as the amount of spin revolutions you can generate is sick. After a while I had to switch to half Luxxilon in the crosses and the gut in the mains. It wasn't quite as good but I could pound the ball at 50 years old plus faster than when I was in my 20"s.

Even Federer can't play with a full bed of Luxxilon. I used the same strings he did and loved them. I always played with 3 Wilson Staffs and would re string them after every 3-4 matchs. You would ne amazed at what a difference that made.

Ok, this has to be one of the most off topic posts I have ever written and I do that a lot. I hope you found it some what amusing.

To all you cat lovers, when they croak ship them off and make some money off them. lol
Oh, hell no!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This my repalcement for the deceased Lady Cat. He's rail thin but checks in at 10 pounds. He spends half of his time outside. Almost a total opposite of Lady.

View attachment 168552
that face. One of the things I love about cats is that while they're always cats and share many traits. Each and everyone of them is uniquely themselves. I hope that makes sense. Cats have more personality then people think. Well some people. Like there are people that feel cats don't have expressive faces, you spend enough time with them especially mildly psycho ones their faces practically scream their moods and thoughts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just guessing, but I think cats like pipe smoking because it involves their people sitting still and being quiet. It produces interesting clouds of smoke that drift slowly through the air. It produces interesting smells. It causes people to look at reading material or inward and not at them, which is good cat etiquette. It makes little burning, wheezing, and whistling sounds that are interesting, and also some lip smacking that reminds them of meal time. It often results in their people being seated, which creates a lap or a horizontal leg to warm against. It keeps their people in a companionable mode,so they can find a place to snooze close at hand knowing they have company. Cats somewhat parent their people, and pipe smoking means that their people are close at hand and under good feline supervision, which is important to a cat. And it means that if their people make any moves toward the cat food or treats, they'll be right on the spot.

Once again, a "Like" to each one of these cats. What fine felines.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Just guessing, but I think cats like pipe smoking because it involves their people sitting still and being quiet. It produces interesting clouds of smoke that drift slowly through the air. It produces interesting smells. It causes people to look at reading material or inward and not at them, which is good cat etiquette. It makes little burning, wheezing, and whistling sounds that are interesting, and also some lip smacking that reminds them of meal time. It often results in their people being seated, which creates a lap or a horizontal leg to warm against. It keeps their people in a companionable mode,so they can find a place to snooze close at hand knowing they have company. Cats somewhat parent their people, and pipe smoking means that their people are close at hand and under good feline supervision, which is important to a cat. And it means that if their people make any moves toward the cat food or treats, they'll be right on the spot.

I believe cats are masters of contentment. That is their goal to feel content. I've noticed that any time I experience notable contentment cats seem more drawn towards me. When we smoke a pipe like you said we become more cat like in our actions but also in the energy we display as well.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
He's rail thin but checks in at 10 pounds. He spends half of his time outside.

View attachment 168552
You might want to give him Drontal, an anti-parasite medicine, prophylactically every 3-6 months or so. He might be skinny because of parasites (even indoor cats can get parasites, but especially outdoor ones). You can get it online in bulk without an Rx at Amazon, etc. (but sometimes need an Rx for individual pills, go figure). Dosage is by weight. Disclaimer: check with your vet first.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcghost

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
that face. One of the things I love about cats is that while they're always cats and share many traits. Each and everyone of them is uniquely themselves. I hope that makes sense. Cats have more personality then people think. Well some people. Like there are people that feel cats don't have expressive faces, you spend enough time with them especially mildly psycho ones their faces practically scream their moods and thoughts.
Very true! On the flip side, I've read that cats have a hard time reading our faces. Best way to get a cat to feel comfortable is to blink slowly at it, not make any quick moves, and only move (slowly) when he is watching you (no surprises.) That's from Temple Grandin, who studies animal behavior.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I believe cats are masters of contentment. That is their goal to feel content. I've noticed that any time I experience notable contentment cats seem more drawn towards me. When we smoke a pipe like you said we become more cat like in our actions but also in the energy we display as well.
James Herriot (pen name of Alf Wight) said, "Cats are connoisseurs of comfort"
His books are great (though mostly about farm animals), the first is: All Creatures Great and Small
Herriot cats.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Very true! On the flip side, I've read that cats have a hard time reading our faces. Best way to get a cat to feel comfortable is to blink slowly at it, not make any quick moves, and only move (slowly) when he is watching you (no surprises.) That's from Temple Grandin, who studies animal behavior.
they like smiles but can't seem to tell real from fake ones. The slow blink is the best.

Reactions: mbmoehl and romaso

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.

You nailed it! My Oscar will beg to come in my office while I'm on the computer smoking my pipe. He'll jump up on my lap, get comfortable and start purring. After a while the smoke will start to get to him and he gives me a hurt look. I then reach over to the chair I have close by (just for him) give it a couple of pats with my hand and he jumps on it, lays down and starts puffing again. After a while I look over and he's gone.... puffy

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
You nailed it! My Oscar will beg to come in my office while I'm on the computer smoking my pipe. He'll jump up on my lap, get comfortable and start purring. After a while the smoke will start to get to him and he gives me a hurt look. I then reach over to the chair I have close by (just for him) give it a couple of pats with my hand and he jumps on it, lays down and starts puffing again. After a while I look over and he's gone.... puffy
Cats love it when you make a place for them and they seem to know it. My wife keeps a pillow by her gaming CPU just for our Aki. If we lay a pillow or folded blanket on the couch while we watch TV, he'll crawl up and go to sleep. Slow blinking is one of the ways they show affection, so doing it in return like mentioned above let's them know how you feel.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
We had an older cat and I would fold a cot blanket a certain way so when she jumped on my lap she could go under 3 or 4 layers and stay cozy. She was a stray and it took about a year before she wouldn't burrow herself behind or under something if we weren't with her. She was deaf so living outside must have been very difficult. Cats who have had a rough start just love being house cats!