PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
It’s kind of a chubby pot variation on shape 55 without the Hapsburg chin. It’s labeled as a KKKK. I find the Castello ratings way too confusing. This pipe isn’t very long, but has a nice beefy bowl and shank. The chamber is medium height but wide. I’ve been breaking it in which is proving difficult since it’s very humid here today. Also, when I went to knock out ash, the entire plug went with it. It happened twice ! I assume it’s because of the wide chamber diameter. I’m breaking it in with some Virginia flake.

The other really strange thing is how thick the stem is, and it has the infamous large Castello button. At first it felt weird, but my mouth is getting used to it. (Respect to the ladies, if you know what I mean.)

The draw is wide open and the stem draft hole is so wide I can clean it with a Q-tip which is nice, since I’m out of pipe cleaners. I’ll continue to report on smoking properties.
It has always confused me that Castello use the "K" rating for size in the rusticated and for grade in the smooth pipes. They really should have used a different letter for one of them.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Anyone have good experience with nolipipe.it for Castellos ??? Their prices seem very good.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I wouldn't count Castello among the industrial pipes. The annual production numbers and the lack of a real shape chart make it an artisan company, perhaps very developed, but not exactly a pipe industry like - for example - Peterson, Savinelli, Dunhill, Brebbia...
Absolute true, unlike the White Spot Alfred Dunhill ,The Lack of a real shape number makes it an Artisan Company

Reactions: Uguccione
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Have anyone heard anything of another now closed Italian artisan maker of Capitello Pipes and how those compare to say Castello or Radice brand pipes?, I understand these Italian Capitello pipes did not existe for too long, and as are somewhat rare on the estate pipe market of today

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Once again... It's not a size rating but a code for dealers that shows their cost. puffy
Yes and not exactly. For the non smooth pipes it's generally a size designation. For the smooth pipes it's more a combination of grain and size. You might find a larger smooth pipe graded lower than a small very well grained pipe.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Yes and not exactly. For the non smooth pipes it's generally a size designation. For the smooth pipes it's more a combination of grain and size. You might find a larger smooth pipe graded lower than a small very well grained pipe.
Yes. Very counter-intuitive.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Yes. Very counter-intuitive.
Ludwig, Castello pipes are graded in batches, as opposed to a "set chart" of size designations or past historical records of grains.

When I visited the Castello workshop in 2019, I selected a group of pipes for the website. The smooth pipes were shown ungraded, which is the norm. After the dealer selects pipes Franco then grades the pipes as a group.

I asked Franco if I might offer my impressions on the grades and have him instruct me on my errors, which I expected the errors to be numerous. I did that and I was truly amazed at little aspects that Franco noted that I had not.

While the grading, to the untrained eye, appears to be random, to the eye of expertise, it does make sense.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Ludwig, Castello pipes are graded in batches, as opposed to a "set chart" of size designations or past historical records of grains.

When I visited the Castello workshop in 2019, I selected a group of pipes for the website. The smooth pipes were shown ungraded, which is the norm. After the dealer selects pipes Franco then grades the pipes as a group.

I asked Franco if I might offer my impressions on the grades and have him instruct me on my errors, which I expected the errors to be numerous. I did that and I was truly amazed at little aspects that Franco noted that I had not.

While the grading, to the untrained eye, appears to be random, to the eye of expertise, it does make sense.
The only confusing part is when you see a KKKK and expect it to be huge, or a K or KK and expect it to be tiny.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
The only confusing part is when you see a KKKK and expect it to be huge, or a K or KK and expect it to be tiny.
Agreed, which is why every retailer should be listing pipe length, bowl height, chamber width, bowl depth, and weight. I can't say for everyone, but I'm a very picky little SOB when it comes to what I want for my collection, thus these are paramount to me. IF any one is not listed, I bypass the pipe right away.

Reactions: Elric and dunnyboy

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Agreed, which is why every retailer should be listing pipe length, bowl height, chamber width, bowl depth, and weight. I can't say for everyone, but I'm a very picky little SOB when it comes to what I want for my collection, thus these are paramount to me. IF any one is not listed, I bypass the pipe right away.
Yes. I double check size specs too. Photos are deceiving.

Reactions: briarblues

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I look at the broad categories of Trademark, Castello, Collection, etc.s
Forget the K's .... I worry about the $$$'s ..
Same. I know what general category my pipes are (Trademark, Castello, Collection, etc), the bowl dimensions, and the total length.

Reactions: briarblues